wood splitter

2" is not nearly large enough.Given the same amount of hydraulic pressure that small of cylinder will only produce 1/4 the amount of a 4" .

Using the formula pi times radius squared the 2" only produces 3.1416 square inchs in area while the 4" is 12.5664.

Even if the hydraulic system would put out 3,000 psi the small cylinder will at best only put out about 9400 pounds of force.

I don't want to be discouraging but you won't be satisfied with that small of cylinder.A 3" would be a factor of 7.06 and a 3.5 would be 9.62

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
well i like to be satisfied:) ill try it since i have it, but i guess i can up it to 3 inch pretty easy. thanks al

no my buddy stole my welder over the weekend and ive been to sick anyway. later this week ill finish up i think

well here goes, i tried it on a chunk of my moking wood and it was hardly a chalenge:)

Attachments

• wood splitter1 002.jpg
    wood splitter1 002.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 7
  • wood splitter1 003.jpg
    wood splitter1 003.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 6
  • wood splitter1 004.jpg
    wood splitter1 004.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 6
  • wood splitter1 005.jpg
    wood splitter1 005.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 6
phase 2 was to go to the neighbors and split some pin oak from a removal last month. no soap:( al was right, not enough power so i need to go get a 3 inch ram. frans was also right, the beam is to light so ill need to brace it also as it was flexing

Attachments

• wood splitter1 008.jpg
    wood splitter1 008.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 7
  • wood splitter1 009.jpg
    wood splitter1 009.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 7
not when its green, especially with as few knots as there were

Is pin oak pretty tough to split?
It isn't at that size.I however have some in my pile that are over 30 inch,those are a challange.
Nothing however that the 27 ton ton splitter can't handle but a little rough with the 5 pound axe.

Now If it were I and I had to beef up that homemade splitter I would jump right to a 4 inch cylinder and an 8 inch beam .No sense doing it over a third time.;)

Once you get the hydralic and beam issues solved it will be one slick unit. You may want to get a patent or at least real good deal on a new dingo for that idea. It sure is going to be nice not having to lift the wood up on the beam all day. Good job

your prolly right again al but it couldnt hurt to tear up the one i got first right?:)

your prolly right again al but it couldnt hurt to tear up the one i got first right?:)
Well,it's your's do as you wish.How-some -ever at this point you could use the beam and cylinder for some thing else.Kinda hard to do anything with it if it's shaped like a pretzel.:)

wouldnt ruin the cylinder for anything!
Well of course not on purpose but if you get it extended it puts a lot of strain on the rod.I imagine that small of a cylinder only uses a 1 inch rod and they would bend fairly easy at full extension .

Not trying to act like a smart azz but if that thing is say 24" long and anchored at the tail end of the cylinder you would have about 50 or more inchs of force acting on the rod.Just the law psysics in action .

A 4 inch cylinder would use usually at least a 2 inch rod.4 times the power and at least 4 times the strength of the rod.Although using a knife edge cutter it would be less strain that a wide wedge type device.

My Uncle and cousin made a splitter 20 years ago and I don't remember the size of the ram but they bent the shaft on the very first log.

Now let's face it,a woodsplitter has to be built battleship tough. Anything less than that is an exercise in futility.

If it doesn't have some tough to it it is like splitting wood with a hatchet. Possible but not the best of design .

Willie how do you like that Dingo with the gas engine? I've seen a few around here for pretty cheap.

Now let's face it,a woodsplitter has to be built battleship tough. Anything less than that is an exercise in futility.

If it doesn't have some tough to it it is like splitting wood with a hatchet. Possible but not the best of design .

What would your dream woodsplitter be Al?

Willie how do you like that Dingo with the gas engine? I've seen a few around here for pretty cheap.

ive used bigger ones and they are better but im thrilled to have this as a starting point. if you dont have one any is better than none!

What would your dream woodsplitter be Al?
Oh actually about any tiltable one with at least a 4 inch cylinder.

I have Tom the tree guys 27 ton splitter to use because those thieven pot lickers in his neighborhood would steal the parts off it had he kept it where he lives.It does just fine .

In my pile of junk I've had the parts to make one for twenty years and never found the time.12 HP electric start Briggs,double Parker gear pump, 5 by 22 cylinder with a 2 1/2" rod 5000 psi surge rating [steel rings ],10 inch wide flange beam 5/8" web .

Weather it would be the ultimate is debatable but it would split about anything you put in it but so does the 27 ton so it's a toss up .

Now I'm not saying one needs to be that sturdy but a 2 inch cylinder and a small beam just aint gonna cut the mustard.Not trying to be negative or a smart azz but facts are facts.

To interject a thought ,I'm a junk yard dog and dumpster diver and I realize that not everybody is ,shall we say,as creative as myself .How-some-ever by being somewhat unorthadox you can find stuff that will work for pennys on the dollar as opposed to buying new.Then too it all depends on where you live and ones imagination of design about this kind of stuff with what's readily available in the area .

no offence taken al, im just trying to stay some what light weight. obviously im going to have to go heavier

Back