Wood Furnace

• Thread starter Jonseredbred
  • Start date
  • Replies 67
  • Views 7K
J

Jonseredbred

Anybody have any comments or suggestions on what brand of wood fired forced air furnaces are the best quality and value?

I am considering putting one in our new home.

All of theones I have checked out in these parts seem to be well made.

If you are talking about an outside unit that connects to your central air vents I suggest you get one that will take as big a logs as you can load. It will save you a lot of cutting

I've only heard about wood furnaces, but what I've heard impressed me :
Build the housing unit well away from your home. Easy access & maint., low odor.
Heat the floors. A comfortable home has warm floors.

I dont know if they make them but I would look for one that takes 4 foot logs and also will burn wood chips from the chipper

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No guys I am looking for an indoor furnace. OWB are banned here.

Jonsered just fire up the woodstove and use a fan or two, same difference way cheaper :D . I cut a hole in the floor right above my woodstove (put a grate in of course) and with two fans my whole house is boiling.:thumbup:

Thought about that, but there is no woodstove here to begin with. Its actually cheaper to put in a furnace next to my existing gas forced air.

But I think the natural heat rising thru the house would be more comfortable than the forced air.

How many SF are you heating??

About 1400-1500 up and the basement's about 1000. One old airtight no frills, or gimmicks just a good solid burner. It works like a hot damn and if you idle 'er right down with some nice fir/larch you can get it to burn through the night.

I could almost kiss the guys who built my house my double wood chimney runs straight up through the exact middle of the house. One chimney for the basement one for the mainfloor. The mainfloor chimney has never ben used as it's never been needed. Unless it's ridiculously cold out I just use the doors and windows to regulate my heat all winter, my friends think I'm nuts when they come over but there's nothing better than fresh air running through your house and a solid 75f throughout.

:thumbup:

I can easily crank my house up into the 80's with my stove but I don't like it to hot!

J-bred here's some pics from a typical day last winter :D This year I'm stocked with all kinds of firewood. Birch, maple, pine, fir, and larch! I'll be able to custom burn depending on the weather conditions.8) Now I just gotta get my crap together and clean my chimney. Good time for a reminder to everone keep that chimney clean, espescially if ya like to idle 'er down overight like I do.

This what you want. completely automated woodchip furnace. Why bother with firewood at all?
http://www.dunsterwoodfuels.co.uk/moderator.html

Thor, that furnace takes a maximum of 30cm wood chips, thus:

30mm=3cm= almost 1.25 inches.

Even with my small Gravely chipper which chips real fine, it is still a very very small chip.
I guess a person would have to screen the chips before dumping into the hopper of that wood furnace.

Sounds like a hassle to me, but then again wood chips are free....

I used to set my gravely's up to produce 1/2 inch chip. most modern chippers can be set up to do 1 inch chips. The system does like screened chip, but its free fuel, with the convenience of gas or oil.....

This is what I use Andrew, We have the model 700. I have used it about 4 years now, no problems so far. We are getting ready to move out to the farm and I am taking the wood furnace out to the farm. Probably rent this place out or let one of the kids move in? At any rate it's the only wood furnace I have ever owned, so I can't compare to other models.

It works great for us just like any other furnace, except it uses wood for the heat. Once you get it set just keep adding wood. It has a shaker grate in the bottom, so you never have to shut the stove down to clean the ash's out. Just open the bottom door shake the grates, slide the ash pan and your done. here is the link.
http://www.victoriansales.com/firechiefhome.html

firechief_drawing_700.jpg

Now this brings up an interesting subject.If a person were in the treebiz or logging etc. you are actually getting paid to cut your own heating fuel.Now how can you beat a deal like that.

Of Course V. or Rocky and the folks in the islands don't have much use for the residue but most in a northern climate would indeed.It would seem kind of silly to me not to take advantage of free btu's useing the wood,chips,whatever.

Thats the type of furnace I have been looking at.

I used to set my gravely's up to produce 1/2 inch chip.

That works fine on paper, but when the bearings are a bit loose, or you are on a hill, the cutter wheel will slip just a bit. When you have the bed knive and the cutter knive set so close, the two could bang against each other.

22, 28 34 inch logs. What diameter?

Will it take wood chips, or only logs?

The door opening is 13 x 14 inch's Frans. Never tried chips, they say wood or coal. We very seldom run the chipper. The grab truck takes care of the brush and logs....:D

That works fine on paper, but when the bearings are a bit loose, or you are on a hill, the cutter wheel will slip just a bit. When you have the bed knive and the cutter knive set so close, the two could bang against each other.

Wow! Never have I had any movement on a chipper cutter wheel - I always set my knives to within 1mm of the anvil. If you have any movement on yours, I'd get a new set of bearings in there toot sweet!

Wow! Never have I had any movement on a chipper cutter wheel - I always set my knives to within 1mm of the anvil. If you have any movement on yours, I'd get a new set of bearings in there toot sweet!

I did put new bearings in. But now I am scared to set the knives that close.

1mm? Wow thats close. What about the inevitable bit of pea gravel or odd little nail or something? :O

thats how close they should always be. If you get a nail, it'll shear it without noticing it, and gravel will dent your knife.
I have run the closer, but 1mm is easy to set and maintain

Back