Wood Furnace

• Thread starter Jonseredbred
  • Start date
  • Replies 67
  • Views 7K
If I were to burn chips what would I do with all of my firewood then? Firewood is easy and (relative to chips) clean to store. Also around here chips dump for free at the landfill but wood you have to pay to dump so here it's a no-brainer. The dump uses the chips to backfill with and once or twice a year they bring a big grinder to grind all of the wood into chips so I'm saving them a step.

Besides that I really enjoy firewooding, I've been doing it my entire life and I find it relaxing and fulfilling. It gives me a good sense of security to have a big pile of firewood stacked up knowing I can provide heat for my family no matter what else is happening in the world. I dunno a big pile of stinky chips in the yard just wouldn't be the same. 8)

chips arent stinky! part of my problem is being to busy for firewooding...
and my wife wants heat at the touch of a button. woodchip burners, with there automated feed gives me the best of both worlds.
we still have a woodstove in the sitting room, but more for its cosy effect:)

Depends what you're chipping, I'll agree some chips stink kinda nice:D . I hear ya on the wife thing, but it only takes me 10-15mins a day to split some kindling and stock the woodbox(this is after spending the odd day here and there processing the woodpile). I would consider a chip stove if I could first hand see some in operation, heh I'm to young to be stuck in my ways right!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frans, if you are making a big chip or shard, close up the gap and you will get 2 or 3 times as much chipped brush in your box.

Youve probably got some mega insulated canuckian house aswell, that takes not much heat. This 300 year old stone farmhouse of mine takes a SERIOUS amount of heat.
The picture is 3 months firewood....

Nice! No my house is actually old and breezy, I have a back-up new high efficiency gas forced air furnace and if I rely on that for heat my bill is through the roof. Wood for me is where it's at. Like I say if I run the gas it costs me a fortune and the house never really feels very warm, but with the wood boy it's t-shirt weather all winter inside.

Ed you have a chip stove? Any pics of that set-up if you've posted them in the past I can't remember where they're at?

If I were to burn chips what would I do with all of my firewood then? Firewood is easy and (relative to chips) clean to store. Also around here chips dump for free at the landfill but wood you have to pay to dump so here it's a no-brainer. The dump uses the chips to backfill with and once or twice a year they bring a big grinder to grind all of the wood into chips so I'm saving them a step.

Besides that I really enjoy firewooding, I've been doing it my entire life and I find it relaxing and fulfilling. It gives me a good sense of security to have a big pile of firewood stacked up knowing I can provide heat for my family no matter what else is happening in the world. I dunno a big pile of stinky chips in the yard just wouldn't be the same. 8)

you could still enjoy splitting the wood to sell;)

Selling wood around here is barely worth it. I've seen guys advertise $120/cord (8x4x4)split and delivered. Forget that. Generally prices are around $150-$200 I'd do a bit like that if I had nothing else to do.

I dunno something about splitting wood like I say it's very therapeutic for me, almost like meditating is for the leaflickers I imagine.8)

i dont sell wood either for the same reason, im just saying if your splitting it anyway and have access to chips for fuel just as well make some cash to rat hole away:) little stuff in cash keeps me in arrows bugles and bullets;)

Yah I hear ya, if I could utilize my own chips it would save me alot of money just in time/operating costs of having to run up to the dump. I dunno though my yard is already chock a block full of trucks and wood as it is. Neighbors may start to really get worried if I started dumping chips:D .

That settles it in order to burn chips I'm gonna need a new stove, new house with more property and a new chipper to produce better chips. This is getting pretty expensive all of a sudden :|:

little stuff in cash keeps me in arrows bugles and bullets
I love that expression :)

squishy, No my chip furnace is'nt installed yet - I'm hoping to get it in in the next month.
I have a big log boiler in the kitchen at the moment.

I hear ya on the wife thing, but it only takes me 10-15mins a day to split some kindling and stock the woodbox(this is after spending the odd day here and there processing the woodpile).
I put a little math to it.Firstly,I have a geothermal,most likely the cheapest way on the planet to heat and cool with but it's not free by any stretch of the imagination.

I only burn 4 or 5 cords per year or 3 to 4 months of the woodstove .I figure it saves me a thousand or more bucks a year.If I had 8 hours per cord ,of which I have less than that,it would come out to 25 bucks per hour of my time.

Now,to take home that 25 bucks,I would have to pay 28 percent in federal taxes,7.5 percent in state taxes and 7.5 percent social security plus the hidden charges of the utilities.If you look at it like that,"sweat equity" is pretty lucrative.Besides that,it keeps me from getting fat.:)

Geez Squish we get $225.00 per cord around here easily. Mid Novemeber it will be around $250.00 or $260.00

Yes, finally it is worth more. It must be like party time over there right now huh???

:occasion1: :surprise: :blob6: :bday: :greenjumpers: :big-dance2: :beerchug: :jam: :big-money: :wav:

Ummm sorry did you say something Andrew, I can't hear you over the music.

J-bred you getting that price for full cords I thought you said something before about selling face cords?

Yes, a face cord is the popular method of measurement here. I translated the pricing into a full cord for you PNW'ers;)

Just an update, I decided last week to completely hook it into the house instead of just blowing hot air in the basement and letting it rise. I just got done ducting in the hot side and cold air returns for my new wood burning furnace.

I am pleased to say its 17 degree's F outside, and a balmy 76 in the basement and house. I have a nice small fire going, about 8 pieces of wood so far today.

Did I mention its pre heating the water into my hot water tank too??

I LOVE this thing.

Sounds like you did a nice job, Andrew. An investment like that will pay dividends for years to come.

(today's temps in Orlando- 62 low, 81 high)

The windows we just put in are, I dont know about the furnace.

Back