Windfall and Spring Pole cutting technique links?

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
I know someone doing owl surveys that has to go out into forested areas, sometimes clearing jackstraw/ jumbled windfall on roads. Any good links for beginners to pick up techniques. So far, I gather it has been figuring it out as they go, to a degree.

Especially useful would be a more formal educational text or web link than a discussion thread.

I don't recall what the book was called, but it was put out by WorksafeBC, I think, for fallers/ buckers as a small textbook that seemed to have good info and illustrations.

Anybody know if Jeff Jepson's How to Fell a Tree covers windfall/ springpoles/ binds/ tension/ compression, etc? Affordable.

FOGT is too much info, and $45 used, so out of her budget, I think.

Had to look for ya, jepsons book does cover windfalls,spring poles, tension forces. A lot of good info actually and now that u made me look I think I'll give it a re-read

I know someone doing owl surveys that has to go out into forested areas, sometimes clearing jackstraw/ jumbled windfall on roads. Any good links for beginners to pick up techniques. So far, I gather it has been figuring it out as they go, to a degree.

Especially useful would be a more formal educational text or web link than a discussion thread.

I don't recall what the book was called, but it was put out by WorksafeBC, I think, for fallers/ buckers as a small textbook that seemed to have good info and illustrations.

Anybody know if Jeff Jepson's How to Fell a Tree covers windfall/ springpoles/ binds/ tension/ compression, etc? Affordable.

FOGT is too much info, and $45 used, so out of her budget, I think.
How about a invite to this site she can get as much info as she needs.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dugCSWtRaqM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> <iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mi7oaCc_-Gw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I watched these before I took S-212

There is a whole series of them called Wildland Fire Chainsaws.

That spring pole vid was interesting. I've never seen it done like that. It worked perfectly in the vid but I'm not sure I like the technique, it looks tricky and kinda slow. Anyone else here use it?

It seems like you could easily bind your saw.

And then you could get popped trying to free it.

Lowish ones, like the one shown and lower, I would look over the situation, stand in the safe spot perpendicular to the spring forces, and probably cut out near the tip at a point where all motion is going to be upward and no motion forward or backward. So it would release with force but all the danger would be going away from you, not toward you.

Idk, maybe that is a bad way to do it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I usually cut it like 'bender board', many shallow kerfs cut side by side with relatively high chain speed, cutting out the compression, leaving the tension wood as a holding strap.

As said, perpendicular to the force.

full comp chain, and safety chain would probably shave out the compression wood. Mine usually is full skip or semi skip chisel, and bites to hard. Semi-chisel/ chipper chain/ round-top chain might work better, too.

Someone else will have to comment on hard hardwoods reactions.

I've seen vine maple with a lotta force stored. A guy I know cut himself cutting such a spring pole.

Thank you for posting, but a guy could grow old using that technique, crazy slow and tiring, imo.

Back