Whipping the End

I took some time to learn how to splice this Christmas. I think I'm addicted... at least for now. Here are my first three splices. I want to keep going, but I'm out of spare double braid for the time being. If I make any money, I'll get some more rope.... and some whipping twine. :D

The Small one on top I screwed up, which is why you can still see the core, and on the other end of the same line is the larger white eye, which was my first EVER.

The big yellow 3/4 was the end of a rigging line that got cut off a while ago by a unobservant groundie (Jack). Now its a 12ft sling waiting for some whipping.

The white piece is gonna get tested after new years to see how my first two hold up. I wanna see if my spices can be trusted.

Bumping this thread. Yesterday I tried the Yale Rope directions on how to do this, came out OK. I want to try your way next Nick.

I noticed you doubled over the twine from the beginning. All I have is throw-line, and I believe it would be too difficult to weave through doubled over from the beginning. Can I double it over after the wraps have been created? Also, I get lost in your directions when it comes to the square knot...can you make that clearer?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think frans pointed out a mistake I made in the directions....and I never fixed them. I don't have time to fix it right now, but I can do this later tonight.

Don't be afraid to remind me!

Oh, if you just pull maybe 3 strands out of the throwline it will be much thinner and easier to work with as a whipping twine. Are you using Zing It?

love
nick

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Dynaglide. That's some thick stuff. I'm sure you know this already, but there are better things you could use as a whipping twine. It's best to use a fiber that is the same or similar as the rope. That'd mean using a nylon or polyester twine for a climbing line.

Anyway, that's just the idea.

Another idea for you, which might allow you to make a more compact whipping would be to take about 4' of the Dynaglide (the most expensive, least good throwline I know of) and pull 2 or three strands out of it. Now thread just those 3 strands on to a needle and use the strands as your twine.

If you understand how twisted rope is made, it wouldn't be very hard to actually twist the three strands together into a little 3 strand rope...but that's very nerdy!!!

love
nick

If you understand how twisted rope is made, it wouldn't be very hard to actually twist the three strands together into a little 3 strand rope...but that's very nerdy!!!

That does sound like something you would do. Almost falls inline with your throwline D tape.

Back