What's Your Ideal Climbing Kit?

Actually when I was climbing full time I liked blue moon. 9' 16 strand rope flip line with micro grab. Nikosi. 7 wrap 2 braid, hitch climber, most any biner other than ball lock. Geckos. Zing it with 16oz sack. That should do it

I roll Treemotion, geckos, 10-11mm rope lanyard with tango cinch, kask helmet, hitch climber setup/rope wrench, 3 throw lines/weights and big shot, silky zubat, 200t. That's my ideal setup and I use it everyday.

TreeMotion, 20'x10mm lanyard with Cinch, Poison Ivy PINK climb line, F-cube with Zingit and 2 10oz weights, Zubat, 200T, Titanium Buckingham spikes with wrap pads (not ideal), and most importantly, HITCHHIKER.

Every discipline/specialty has its own language..this thread really points that out. To read SOTC's litany or SimplyArbor or Rumination is like reading a foreign language. :lol:

'Tis OK FFZero...you're working your way through the curve.

Give-er-take this is what I usually go up with. . .

View attachment 52272

Sherrill Edge (Buck Ergo-lite whatever)
Arbormaster
Hitchclimber
Armor-prus e2e
12' wire core w/ pinto and oceans e2e
Klein's w/ Caddie Pads
Zubat
Kask Plasma Helmet
50' Imori lanyard/secondary system
DMM and Petzl links (also rock and ISC)
HAAS and CMI right foot.
Usually take the pulley-saver if there's gonna be more than one trip up. . . ext.

I want that New Tribe Onyx, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with my kit.
damn that's a lot of crap to carry around.
-sequoia saddle
-poison ivy line
-hitch climber pulley
-2 biners (mexicans, :D)
-18' wooden pole
-silky sugoi
-leather wide brim hat

Petzl Harness
Croll
Basic with foot loop
Petzl Rig
Petzl grigri
Pmi low stretch line
Various lanyards
Buckingham spurs

Klein spurs (only ones I've ever owned, circa 1987)
Blue Moon or Poison Ivy line with HH
Poison Ivy lanyard with Grillon adjuster
Corona handsaw
Sierra Moreno saddle

Vertex helmet(soon to be fitted with gopro) ;)
Sherrill Edge saddle
Arborwear Ascender pants, LOVE EM! Could and have slept in them!
Silky Zubat
Wire core lanyard on the big boys with rock exotica ropegrab and new england tachyon flipline with oceans prusik
hitch climber pulley, 8mm beeline, rapide pulley , with a pirate and a dmm O
new england tachyon 11.5mm climbing line DdRT
Buckingham Spikes
Ct Foot ascender
Soon to get Frog Arrow 11.7mm climbing line for SRT with a hitch hiker.(Was going to go with rope wrench but have since had my mind changed, thanks Bonner) ;)
Soon to get The Haas for SRT, can't wait!
Soon to get Pfanner Zermat climbing/saw boots. can't wait!
Buckingham Steel Spikes

oh ya and my baby, 192t

kask helm, tree motion saddle
tachyon lanyard with thimble for single legging on art positioner
steel core on art positioner
alu geckos
45 meter tachyon with hitch climber
hitch hiker
90 meter arbocup access line
rope guide
faltimer cube with stiff line with 8 ounce and ten ounce throwbags.

I won't list rope tools or stuff i want or the list will get to long:big-money:

Hitch Hiker with some Ultra Tech and Beeline for prussic. Blue moon or Aztec climb rope. Oval biners. A HC pulley for some Ddrt when that's all I really need do like today. I want a Tree Austria 3.1 saddle. I have a Cougar I put a rope bridge on and a Bat Plate that works well. I really like my stiff step, older style Pantin and CMI double handled ascender for SRT. Even with the HH. FIg 8 always on the back of the saddle with a revolver biner. I really love the FS that Dave made me with the Pirate Orca crab and short 5/8ths SB with ring. The thing is the bees knees in a black oak and great in all our oaks. Adjustable FS for single stems. A couple of long R 2 R FS for some trees you need to shwing in from your tip. Love the steel rings. I swear they retrieve better than aluminium. A cable core flip line for single stem or spar removals. A flip line made of some climb rope for regular pruning and spreading canopy removals. Both have steel clips for flinging around the stem. Two throw line and cubes. One gets stuck, throw the other and go get it. Throw weights 12 oz - 20 oz two of each ... One 16 on the saddle for advancing the line.
Comfy helmet .. I prefer mine with the comm system. Those are Kask no visor. I also have a light weight Kong for hot solo days.
Have to have a set of spurs. Aluminium Bashlins are bullet proof. As are many others. Find something comfy and the pads that help keep it that way for you. Find what works for you. I would like to try geckos someday.
Of course a bag to put most of it in... Maybe a rope bag for the times it would come in handy.
One of the things that should be on everyone's list is a Wraptor. PERIOD. I see so many spend so much money on shiny gadgets for SRT this and SRT that... BUY A FUGGEN WRAPTOR. GET A HH TO GO WITH IT! Screw all that base tie in fancy smancy kits and shiny zig zaggy crap. I can see owning a HAAS. Now that the design accommodates a custom boot feature or stiff step. I hate foot loops. I prefer bondage. :lol:
Make that shat stay on.
Couple of CMI micros...
couple of loop runners.
Big Shot....
This will all fit in a reasonable sized duffel......... I shy from putting the spurs in though. Usually they just ride behind the seat.
And another thing. Your climb bag should have a mini porty in it and maybe a RQ8. Also a loopie with Pinto Rig in it. These will save you time and grief.
Extra hitch cord ....
Fly reel with a throw line on it for wide canopy... In case you really don't want to use the Wraptor that day and just play with good old traversing.
One hank of 12' of some climb line in case you need to make a quick flip line on site.

Petzl Alveo Vent
3M Lexa Specs
Tree Motion
330 Zubat
Alloy spikes
Flip line
Long lanyard with cinch
45m Cougar Blue and hitch climber setup with 8mm AP
RW and sling
Falteimer cube, zing it and 8 and 10 oz harrison rockets.
ropeguide (homemade)
Pantin and HAAS type system.

200t or 150t

I really don't know my ideal kit. I sort of think Id have to try much more then I ever have in order to know my ultimate kit. I climb on a master classic, steel Bucks with the big huge expensive pads, and vortex. I like it. I use a Petzl microcender, with XTC Fire lanyard with steel snap. I like the snap for giving that sucker a rip around the back of a fat tree. For carabiners, Ive yet to find something that compares to petzl ball lockers. I pretty much hate all other carabiners and would happily toss them in the chip pile. Yet, for some reason, I have a handful of other types on the back of my saddle.....

30m of 8mm rope
Pair of ganda approach shoes
BD couloir harness
Helmet
Patagonia ascensionist pack with ultralight bivy gear
Sheer determination

Petzl alveo
15" silky
24" e.e michoacan, ice tail
Hc pulley
Yale blaze
Steel dmm krabs +2
Viking saddle
12` rope lanyard isc snap
Bigshot cheap throwline n bag
Geckos cheap ones
Hoffman boots

Tree Motion saddle
HitchClimber pulley
DMM Ultra O carabiners
Ocean prusik with spliced eyes
Samson Vortex climbing rope with a tight spliced eye on one end
ABR double lanyard system http://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=1809&item=15216
Protos helmet with comm system
Silky Sugoi handsaw
Dyneema throwline with Weaver 12oz bags
Big Shot
friction saver
and a Weaver ditty bag that safely holds my Redman chewing tobacco.

Joel

Back