What's Your Favorite Saw You Own?

100,000 mile spark plug and EFI vs carb has nothing to do with fuel quality at all ... comparing apples to oranges- some “old designs” are still in use today and you can service them Yourself ... with a 7/16 , 1/2, and 3/4 socket and hand tools you can disassemble / repair / rebuild 90% of the unit ... With “software” being installed you are at the mercy of the dealer even though you “bought” the product !

Uhhh....yeah...it does. Old gas would never be compatible with today's closer tolerances.

Injector orifices you cant seen light through?

No way would you get todays reliability with old gas.

Clean some plugs from an engine that burns leaded fuel.

Today's gas burns cleaner, leaves fewer deposits and does not gum or varnish anything like older gas.

Its just night and day.

I struggle to come up with a metric in which yesterday's gas was better.

Maybe because it cost a bunch more compared to today?

Easy peasy ... the older fuel lasted for months ... Maybe even a year in a metal can ! Ain’t happening today brother no way hosea... Why do you think STIHL came up with its patented motomix and offers 1 or 2 yrs additional warranty if customer buy a gallon when purchasing the saw ? It it some conspiracy theory to fleece the customer ? Nah , Think about it ... If I own STIHL and am sending saws all over the world , running saws in all conditions: high , low temp , elevations etc am I going to be eating warranty work from outdoor power equipment grenadine from running questionable fuel ? Nope 👎 ... gonna market my own and save myself the headache !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They offer a warranty extension cause it ensures people are aware they have to add oil to the fuel. That single can of motomix isn't doing anything after the first day of cutting.

Hmm 🤔... That never entered into the conversation I had with a STIHL Representative regarding motomix although I’ve heard of noobs putting straight gas in the tank and the two-stroke oil where the bar oil goes thinking the saw will “mix” them 😝

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They offer the warranty extension when you buy their oil also, which is what I do. It's my preferred oil anyway.

I'm with you part of the way Jim. Today's fuel tends to be better, but alcohol makes it a poor candidate for storage in a less than perfectly sealed container. The alcohol attracts water, then separates from the gas. That's how the tester I use works. You fill it part way with water, top it off with gas, shake it, and see where the level is. The water pulls the alcohol out, and you can read the line showing how much was in the fuel. It'll do that sitting in a tractor, or an old leaky gas can too.

As I have reported before, I am one of the apparently rare fellows who for the most part have not had issues from using old gas, or leaving fuel or fuel mix in mowers, lawn and garden equipment, and saws for long periods of time.

I started an older Briggs and Stratton 4 hp lawn mower this summer that had not been run in at least 5 years, half a tank of fuel in it. I did not add any fuel. It has one of those primer bulbs. A few pushes on the bulb...it started on the very first pull and ran perfectly.

87 octane from the gas station pump w/10% ethanol, purchased prior to 2015, without a doubt.

Last edited:
I use non ethanol pump gas with Stihl synthetic. Always treated me well. Actually the older conventional Stihl mix in the orange bottle worked fine too, but I read a lot of rave reviews from trustworthy folks about the grey bottle synthetic stuff so switched maybe 5 years ago.

I had a saw fire up after 15 or so years of sitting with old gas. I've also had a push mower not start after sitting for 2 years with extra stabilizer or storage additive in it's tank. That model of mower was known for not starting after sitting over the winter. The brass jet would plug with white stuff.

I doubt that was just this model, most don't do well with the gas today.
Oxide, erosion, water.. Very common today regardless of model. Plastic membrane carbs are a bit less corroded, but they need new membranes every spring or every other...

My favorit saw this week... Solo Twin!

Bit too old for me to have used, but I rememver when the 2 cylinder Echo came out.

I've run one. I don't mind the weight if it is proportional to power/cut speed, and that saw has some good torque. Now a mac with scratcher chain is a miserable boat anchor.

Back