What's your favorite rope grab on a wire core?

Grendel

TreeHouser
As many white pines as I'm in, I'm tired of fighting a glued up hitch. Any suggestions for the best Mech rope grab that can handle some sap?

Thanks!

Petzl micrograb for me. And I climb a ton of big boring white spruce with lots of sap. It's more the wire core that gets gummed up and the grab never has issues.

I use the macro grab as well, do they still make it? The micro seems dinky, but I guess what you are used to.

The Macro is nice and beefy, easy to adjust.
My Gibbs on my backup 1/2" lanyard is a little harder to work with.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks again guys, I'm going to try out a Rock Grab. I like the idea of the offset Cam attachment hole.

I have the rock grab on 5/8s wire core...I like the offset attachment hole

Rock Grab ought to be a good one.

That's what I ended up ordering. I got the bigger one, as I've got a 5/8" Maxiflip I like to use when It's rainy, so we'll see if it works on a fuzzed up 1/2" too. I'll report back :D

Not sure about a rope grab, but on the big cam on the purple one, cleaning the serrations of pitch from time to time could help.

Micro and macrograbs for me but mostly the micro because I hardly ever use my longer 5/8" SC lanyard.

So I've used the new unit on a few climbs so far. I like it. It's different, It's clunky, but very secure, and the slack tending is the cat's ass. I've got to say, that while I though the offset attachment hole would be a big plus, the weight of the wire core tail pulls it down anyways. The cool this about it is the slack tending is the same motion as it was with my previous setup. On the whole I like it a lot. Seems to work well w/ my 1/2" and 5/8" wire cores.

DSC03954.JPG

DSC03956.JPG

Cheers.

Back