What's a good fishing reel for Bigshot?

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
After getting some good results with our $8 horse panic-snap release, and fighting snarls in a thin, thin braided line on the throwbag for a 120' or so shot, we are ready to step up to a fishing reel for halibut type line.

Monofilament line seems like it will not pull well on oldgrowth fir where we need high shots. Any experience with this scenario, and recommendations on a good reel?

I've had good luck with 20 lb. test mono. Slides pretty smoothly. I use a open, deep spool spinning reel, but I don't recall the brand/model. I'll look later today.

You have to transfer from the mono to regular throwline, then transfer that to the climbing rope.

Go to Sportco/Outdoor Emporium and look at a 300 size spinning reel. You need a wide spool. The surcasting models are the best. Get it filled with 80-100 pound braid in Hi-vis.

I've had good luck with 20 lb. test mono. Slides pretty smoothly. I use a open, deep spool spinning reel, but I don't recall the brand/model. I'll look later today.

You have to transfer from the mono to regular throwline, then transfer that to the climbing rope.

Hey Sean,

A few years ago in my pre-BigShot days, I tried a few reels and lines with a hand sling shot (even tried bow&arrows, cross-bow, air cannon). Below is a pic that shows a little bit of that history. I started with a small closed reel but it couldn't hold enough line. Then went to an open face which held enough line. But, it was a pain (at least for me) to keep the line on the reel while setting-up the shot. I ended up with a Zebco 888 which held enough line and worked quite well. If I remember right, I got it at Walmart. It should mount easily on the BigShot. It's very similar to the one Sherrill sells - but cheaper.

As to line; I tried braided, hi-tech, hi-vis, etc. But, mono worked the best and would run through anything. It's almost impossible to see in most situations. So, I used a short section of hi-vis mason line attached to the weight so I could find the end of the line. But, like Burnham says: "You have to transfer from the mono to regular throwline, then transfer that to the climbing rope." The mono won't pull the rope through the tree.

Good luck, Jack

Attachments

• DSC01900.jpg
    DSC01900.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 2
Back