Cheap Bigshot Release--horse panic snap $8

SouthSoundTree

Treehouser
Phone Pics 172.jpg

I made 2:1 releases cheaply.

This is a fine entry level set-up. We've used halibut line to hit 150' shots a couple times with this release. This requires a pole mounted fishing reel.

If you are going really high, use the fishing line to pull in the throwline, then the rope.

I just found these pictures. Hope they help someone.

Scrap cord is hitched to the pole base and run up and through the rectangular hole near the swivel on the Panic Snap http://www.horsetackco.com/panic-snap.html?gclid=CIjXlauvkbkCFYdxQgod7S0Abw#.UhYucpJQEqI ($2 here). The hitch is a VT tied to the rectangular portion. When the rope is pulled through the Rectangle, it acts as a hitch minder, advancing the hitch.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
what line and reel are you using?

80 pound braided halibut line. Don't know about the ree, fleugel, IIRC, its State Parks' setup. Not a cheapo, not the sherrilltree one.

Wind it on with tension on the line.

We really have had accurate 150'+ shots. Line management is the important thing while setting up and shooting, retrieving. A tarp is helpful with the halibut line, or clean, clean pavement.

P.S. Keep your finger clear of the bail on release! You'll know if you don't.

P.P.S. move the rubber tubing on the nylon pulling strap to the side or maybe cut into two pieces that will slide to the side, so that you have them for finger held shots.

I had a long conversation here around 2015 that included helping me decide bigshot or APTA and also thinking about homegrown bigshot triggers.
Rather than revisit that one I want to bump this older thread. My decision ended up defer all purchases while I practice hand throwing. I was leaning toward the bigshot. My throwing really did improve since I was forced to practice. I also stopped bookmarking with throw line my favorite rec climbs. Eventually relatives asked me to get some deadwood out of a tree and I sprung for a notch slingshot with their exclusive trigger. I didn’t like the trigger much but I made it work for me.
Then I lost it somehow. I really like Richard Mumfords compound bow release but he is out of stock. I just ordered a bow release from Amazon and will post more when I try it out soon.

Fwiw, big shot is a nice tool, I used one for years ( I don't hand throw :whine:)

APTA runs circles around the big shot, all day

And cool post , btw, from Sean :dude:

I use this ski nautical quick release. The trigger is a straight pull by a small rope and I guess that it affects less the aim than a direct contact with the hand or a side pull like some quick releases for the sails.
mousqueton-pour-ski-nautique-inox-o223-mm.jpg

I hand throw 98% of the time and then a big shot for over 60'. I've never needed to shoot real high above 80'.

Rajan, if you do the amount of hardwoods zI think you do, don't you get a bunch of oaks/maples with the millions of tiny twigs that make the hand throw almost impossible? Here in the armpit of America, I'm about 60% throw/40% big shot. I throw up to about 75' fairly accurately, but only if open canopy. Most of the hardwoods here are littered with tiny, throw weight redirecting/snagging branches. 😡😡😡

Most oaks and maples are open and easily thrown into. Most are old, 80 years old is a youngster. 150-250yo is the average so most all the twiglets are long gone. It's the youngish Norway maples that can be an issue.

I got a Scott archery release yesterday. That thing is a hair trigger! 72ADD144-8C06-41CD-948A-88A2F4C49F02.jpeg I did about 15 shots getting my bigshot dialed in. I put marks on my pruner handle every six inches and watched how high it would shoot with different length pulls.

That's what I use to rack my saw on my good saddle. It's kinda boxy, so it stays oriented when lashed to webbing with paracord.

I got a Scott archery release yesterday. That thing is a hair trigger!View attachment 115480 I did about 15 shots getting my bigshot dialed in. I put marks on my pruner handle every six inches and watched how high it would shoot with different length pulls.

Be aware that temperature makes a fairly significant difference in what the BS produces at xyz distance of pull on the rubbers, day to day. And repeated shots close together in time do too. So what you got from your dialing in and marking may well not be what you get all the time.

Back