What Would Butch Say!?

He might be flattered, but can’t say for certain.
Think the image is public domain?

No such thing(in USA). Everything automatically gets copyright unless otherwise explicitly stated by the originator. Some jurisdictions don't allow public domain release, so there's stuff like the cc-0 license which is a license, but equals "public domain" for all intents and purposes.

Pretty sure when it hits the inter web it’s public domain. I know a few who are on shirts and boxers that had no idea till it was brought up to them. Mark Chisholm was one

Yea Steve Connolly over at TB too. Think he did some modeling work for Stihl catalog, then someone somewhere airbrushed the Stihl logo off everything in the pic and put it on some shirts and whatever else.

Pretty sure when it hits the inter web it’s public domain. I know a few who are on shirts and boxers that had no idea till it was brought up to them. Mark Chisholm was one

umm, Butch on my boxers????? Love the guy but....on my boxers????
Hopefully that wasn’t a Freudian slip lol but hey whatever 😉👍🤪

You can't do that without permission. Of course it's up to the originator to enforce the claim if desired, and that can be expensive, and/or impossible.

I'm a copyright minimalist. I'm absolutely against what it's become over the years, but could concede a very limited term of exclusive use; maybe 10 years or so.

Yes, I would bet that is his picture.
Lizzy Store is based in Riverdale Georgia. Lisa Clayton, I will send a message just for fun!

Please do.

Use the words of your ‘recently deceased good friend, who is pictured... where did they get the picture etc?’

Things like this P me off. I had a rather gruesome picture of a ms441 in all its gory glory when I dissected the sperm whale. Someone had printed it off and blown it up on atrade stand poster for their company. A Stihl rep saw it and the next I hear is the bloke is trying to sell my picture to Stihl for their advertising.

I sent a message saying I was the owner of the shot and had the original i much clearer definition. If they want it to speak to me as it wasn’t the guys to sell.

Never heard anything back and the so-called acquaintance never made eye contact with me again. We had met quite a few times as he ran a training company Kent, he obviously heard I wasn’t best pleased.

Last edited:
I am not surprised in the least. I have no idea what the copyright laws are regarding pictures on the internet, but I can say that I have seen Jerry's images turned into all kinds of stuff, especially memes, without his permission. Not much a person can do about it unless you want to spend a lot of time and your life savings fighting it. Look what happened when the Fundamentals went out of print......people were selling their copies on ebay and amazon for $400 or more (and still are). Is that fair? Jerry wrote that book and other people are profiting in a big way. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. That being said, Jerry and I both really like that poster and what it says. It totally reflects Butch's attitude on life. So I ordered one. Butch will hang on our poster wall along side posters of Graham Mcmahon, Jerry, Mark Chisolm, and other great arborists pics! It will be a great tribute to our friend!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am not surprised in the least. I have no idea what the copyright laws are regarding pictures on the internet, but I can say that I have seen Jerry's images turned into all kinds of stuff, especially memes, without his permission. Not much a person can do about it unless you want to spend a lot of time and your life savings fighting it. Look what happened when the Fundamentals went out of print......people were selling their copies on ebay and amazon for $400 or more (and still are). Is that fair? Jerry wrote that book and other people are profiting in a big way. I guess it just depends on how you look at it. That being said, Jerry and I both really like that poster and what it says. It totally reflects Butch's attitude on life. So I ordered one. Butch will hang on our poster wall along side posters of Graham Mcmahon, Jerry, Mark Chisolm, and other great arborists pics! It will be a great tribute to our friend!

That's awesome!

Back