What size mallet for felling wedges

NickfromWI

King of Splices
What do you all use? I've used long handles sledge hammers before, but it was too awkward. My preference is short handled mallets. It seems 3 pounds is doing the job.

I recently saw this: http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-170126/Detail in the local hardware store and thought, "string a lanyard through that hole and this thing would be nice up in a tree. Full metal handle, you won't have to worry about the head falling off like sometimes happens with wooden handled tools.

They had it for $25. A lot of money for a heavy hammer.

What are y'all using?

love
nick

ummmm.. I tooth shank off an excavator bucket I carved up into a splitting maul lookin thing. It works well, weighs 4 pounds maybe. Ill have to get a picture..

4 lb. hammer works for me, with an 18"handle. Compact yet allows some leverage for the tough ones.

I like using something larger. I use a splitting maul, an eight pounder I think.

Pitiful, just pitiful. Real fellers use a short handled 5 lb, Collins Single-bit axe.:P

I haven't done so for a while but when used,steel wedges and an 8 pound hammer.What in the world is a Collins axe? Any relation to Tom Collins of drink fame?:)

I use a 5lb sledge with a 20 inch handle that I made myself out of hickory.For no more than I wedge trees it works.

Heavens,I've had a half dozen wedges strategically located try to tip a big oak.If I used a little hatchet I would still be thumping on them.:P

Oh,I suppose I could have left a thinner hinge if I wasn't such a fraiddy cat.The thought of 20 tons of oak on top of me some how doesn't appeal to me.They might call me shorty.

Here ya go, a well used and loved tool...been packing this one about for 20+ years.

That's a five pound head...not a little hatchet by any means. I have driven over some really big boys with substantial back lean with it. The trick is alternating hits on 2 or 3 wedges.

Damn Burnham you must be a pro that handle looks well used and in nice shape. I leant my old hatchett/belt to a buddy who was felling some trees on his property, as well as one of my 046's. My saw came back with a new bar and tank/handle and my felling belt never came back at all :( . I learned my lesson the hard way, I got that rigging for my birthday last year.:thumbup:

I don't lend saws to no one now. I'm glad my buddy didn't get hurt he apparently was going to be having a 'pro' neighbor helping him. I should've clued in to the fact that the 'pro' never had no saws of his own!

Damn Burnham you must be a pro that handle looks well used and in nice shape. I leant my old hatchett/belt to a buddy who was felling some trees on his property, as well as one of my 046's. My saw came back with a new bar and tank/handle and my felling belt never came back at all :( . I learned my lesson the hard way, I got that rigging for my birthday last year.:thumbup:

I don't lend saws to no one now. I'm glad my buddy didn't get hurt he apparently was going to be having a 'pro' neighbor helping him. I should've clued in to the fact that the 'pro' never had no saws of his own!

Ha Justin, I thought that outfit looked a little too shiney and new :P .

For whatever reason, I have the ability to accurately hit what I'm swinging at with axe, maul, hammer, sledge, or whatever. Nothing I can take credit for, just the way it is for me. Handles last me a good long time ;) .

Yup... single bit axe here too. (Must be a PNW thing again...) It had a straight handle on it when I bought it about 20 years ago. It got busted when it got run over in the woods awhile back... have a "curved" handle on it now.

Works just as good. :thumbup:

Gary

I, like Al and Steve, use a 8lb (or heavier) maul.

I can not immagine using a ax or anything smaller, but I haven't seen it all.

I've also sent some big un's on their way with wedges, nothing ax sized about it.

I guess if I had some steel thinner wedges, that would make it quite easier. The plastic wedges I like to use break at an alarming rate. Then again if I used a hammer I bet they would last much longer.

I, like Al and Steve, use a 8lb (or heavier) maul.

I can not immagine using a ax or anything smaller, but I haven't seen it all.

I've also sent some big un's on their way with wedges, nothing ax sized about it.

I guess if I had some steel thinner wedges, that would make it quite easier. The plastic wedges I like to use break at an alarming rate. Then again if I used a hammer I bet they would last much longer.

If you didn't use that massive overkill maul, or even if you did if you'd hit the wedges square and true, you wouldn't break wedges :P . Doesn't anyone understand finesse these days :? :D :lol: .

Or maybe you're going too cheap on the wedges you like ;) .

i use a 3 pound falling axe

On the other hand, 3 lbs. is too light to really drive a heavy leaner, IMHO.

If I had to hike into the trees I would use a falling axe. I don't anymore and that is why I now use a splitting maul.

if its a heavy leaner near targets it gets a pull rope to do most of the work anyway;)

If I had to hike into the trees I would use a falling axe. I don't anymore and that is why I now use a splitting maul.

Good point, OM. Little wimp that I am, swinging a maul would not be my choice even if I could park beside every tree. My right rotator cuff is in bad enough shape as it is.

And besides, there's tradition to be respected, ya know? :)

Back