What size mallet for felling wedges

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How about these fiskars ones?

http://www.fiskars.com/webapp/wcs/s...alogId=10101&categoryId=10283&productId=10527

7857_p.jpg

love
nick

Just a 4 to 5 lb single or double jack here. start hitting with 8/10 pounders ? hell you can pick the tree up right off its stump if you go to light on your hinge.

Your daughters are getting older and there are those things called boys around.

Nick, The Fiskars axes are useful tools but they suck for driving falling wedges in anything sizeable.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I was looking at the specs, and they are not heavy at all. The longer handles have only 2 pound heads.

Funny thing is, I could go buy a 5 dollar thing somewhere and I'm sure i'd be quite happy with it. Let's be honest. An appropriately sized stone would do the job.

love
nick

Just a 4 to 5 lb single or double jack here. start hitting with 8/10 pounders ? hell you can pick the tree up right off its stump if you go to light on your hinge.
Well,now that you mention that,I did so once,scared hell out me,run legs run.Put a slight back leaner right into another one,30" oak.:\:

Thumping with an axe you guys must be using plastic wedges or have damned tough axes.Somebody dummied up my 100 year old 5 lb splitter,likely driving wedges at one time or another.

Yeah, I was looking at the specs, and they are not heavy at all. The longer handles have only 2 pound heads.

Funny thing is, I could go buy a 5 dollar thing somewhere and I'm sure i'd be quite happy with it. Let's be honest. An appropriately sized stone would do the job.
love
nick

Hell, no it wouldn't Nick...you need some mass and high head speed to drive a set of wedges under a tree 4 feet in diameter and 200 feet tall...or that 20 ton oak Al was talking about.

Well,now that you mention that,I did so once,scared hell out me,run legs run.Put a slight back leaner right into another one,30" oak.:\:

Thumping with an axe you guys must be using plastic wedges or have damned tough axes.Somebody dummied up my 100 year old 5 lb splitter,likely driving wedges at one time or another.

Absolutely Al, plastics for everyday use, though currently hardhead plastics are my favorite. Mag alloy wedges come out for really tough wedging jobs.

Another PNWNER here 4 1/2 lb 26" handle singlebit axe. Works great fits right in out here.

Has anyone ever broken their handle or just lost the axe/maul/hammer completely and carved one? I carved a hickory mallet one time to beat on a wedge. Felt like an idiot cause I brought wedges but no hammer :D. It worked but was not real comfortable on the hands.

Yup I've been on the hillside before with wedges and no axe, sucks. Nick your rock idea, it doesn't really work to well in practice.

Yup I've been on the hillside before with wedges and no axe, sucks. Nick your rock idea, it doesn't really work to well in practice.

I tried the rock thing one time too... when I forgot the axe in the truck and I was 100 yards down the hill...

It don't work as good as you would think.

Like Burnhan said... head speed. Just like in baseball and golf... it's all about head speed to drive through the wedge. Good hand eye coordination helps too...;)

Gary

I've cut a few pretty long two man push poles in my day before :what: a last, last resort. Amazing what 15' of leverage can do for ya.

Back