What should I do with this wood?

To my mind, there aren't very many pieces of wood that you simply find natural, that hold long term interest and purposefulness without someone adding their own sense to them with one tool or another.

Yes.

Jay, I had a piece of Gabon ebony that was just a quarter section of a log, with the cream colored sap and bark on it still. Only about 6" long.
I hand polished that to about 1200 grit and then ran it over a pipe makers emory wheel.
Looked like a piece of obsidian with bark on.

Sat around on a shelf for years, untill a friend talked me into giving it to him.

I can't remember where I picked it up.
It is an old way of dealing with burls in Northern Scandinavia,
I've only tried it a few times, boil it for a couple of hours, then when it is cool, peel the bark off.

Never boiled it, V, but I have steamed some wood with the bark on. Similar thing, the bark peels off easily. Probably the heat combined with water reduces the bond between the bark and the wood. Sapwood next to the bark is generally not very durable material, it probably swells up and softens, causing the bond to weaken. Water might act as a kind of solvent, bark usually stays on better during months when the tree isn't pulling up much water.

Thanks guys. About time one of the cool pieces of wood I'm always bringing home ended up somewhere other than the woodstove!

Back