What Non Essential Gear Do You Think Is Worth Owning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks like it's part of the Sherrill empire. Those guys are getting huge.

I hope it's good for raking nasty chit, like when a dead ash crashes. #amillionpieces

If you guys like the Grounds keeper rake look into a rake called the Maintainer, longer handle and less grabby than the Groundskeeper but every bit as effective.

Here you go.

i was thinking the masdaam pulls more like 500 kg but i might be mistaken.
I agree on that. Previously, I said 400 kg max by feel. But at 500kg, it's a 50kg pull on the handle, about 1100 lbs. I'll probably invest in a load cell in a near future. I want to know what I put on the gears and ropes.

Even if one can pull 50 kg on a rope reliably by hand, not sure, the 5:1 block and tackle can only give half of what can allow the Maasdam. During years, I was very tempted to buy a B&T, just to have a nice piece of kit, but each time I denied it, given the capability of the Maasdam. For its price too.

Marc, you and many others, may find interest in the YouTube channel HowKnot2. He break tests climbing gear, mostly rock climbing, but there's lots of cross over as well as some arborist specific content.

I like my Massdam, it recently rescued my wife's Hyundai after the winch battery refused to supply power long enough to get it on the trailer. Massdam has power for just as long as I do. Although it must be said that they can and do slip, and need to be minded a bit better than it appears at first glance. Still, for the price, weight and size, it really is hard to beat.

Folks are we going to call a PortaWrap essential or non? I mean, technically I don't have to have it, but I will not use the tree for friction, haven't since I bought the thing. It's just nice to have consistency, I guess. Also, my ropes last sooooo much longer.
I also attach it to the back of my truck via a large shackle, and "bollard it off" as my wife calls it, so I don't have to tie and untie midline knots when we're truck yarding logs out of the bush.
In all it's just been way more useful than I ever thought.

even though i do alot of natural crotch rigging (wraps up top) it would be very annoying to not have a port-a-wrap. i would call it essential :)

Little mini wedges on a light lanyard.

View attachment 132881
I found myself clipping the dead end hook of my lanyard to the string of the mini wedge when its in the kerf and just hanging the wedge from an accessory clip when not in use. A retractable tool lanyard might be good but anything else would just be one more tangler for me to fight with.

A retractable tool lanyard might be good but anything else would just be one more tangler for me to fight with.
I've thought a gammon reel would good for stuff like that. I use them for plumb bobs. Very reliable and durable, but maybe overkill for stuff like a mini wedge. I've considered getting one, but the desire hasn't outweighed the cost so far.
Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Gammon-Reel-001-2-Feet-Surveyors/dp/B00067T9PY/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=gammon+reel&qid=1698160689&sr=8-4

I use the 12' reel for work.

I found myself clipping the dead end hook of my lanyard to the string of the mini wedge when its in the kerf and just hanging the wedge from an accessory clip when not in use. A retractable tool lanyard might be good but anything else would just be one more tangler for me to fight with.
I wouldn't use something that is trying to pull the wedge out. A breeze could lift the top off the wedge, and it could come back toward one's face.

KISS

One small loop of cord that can hang on an existing biner.

For actual wedging, I bring a pouch with wedges and plates, with a very short- handled 5# ax.

@SeanKroll
I watched your video where you throw a dead top with wedges and plates. 👍What's the sequence of loading those into the back cut?

@stig 's trick on the plates.

Start with (2) single-layer (not stacked) wedges.

Before driving them too deep, as with stacking wedges, slip one wedge out, add a plate as deep as reasonable, allowing the first wedge to be reinserted about 1/3 to halfway in. Drive it.

This will let your second wedge come out, add a plate, re-insert the second wedge. Drive it.

Keep driving the wedges (can carefully hit the plates, if needed) until you need to add another plate to one stack, then add a plate to the other stack.

More about the Maasdam rope puller.
Patrick did the load test with it and answered the question of max pull.
I'm very surprised that he went as much high as 2200 lbs (damaging it, but still). Using the body's inertia to enhance the actual arm's force didn't occurred to me.

General precaution, even on an average pull: listen carefully to the "click" of the ratchet related to the handle's movement. You have to be sure that it's fully seated when each pull cycle ends. It can (and will) stop just on the edge of a tooth at the risk of jumping back at the previous location with a big hit in the system.

You gotta watch the damned handle. Thing comes off, and it ripped a nice chunk out of my hand :^(

From raw pain lessons to true poetry; is a very usual and crisp capture of the realities.
Semi-trailer tire changing spoon is very well tempered rigid,
spoon end fits into small saw kerf for aerial felling lever.
Prefer curved, not flat spoon end, some have double spooned ends, but poorer grip then to me.
KEN32102__30336.1663421911.jpg

Can slide into a ring to narrow for spoon for carrying as iron worker tools with the shear lower COG as keeper;
but always preferred with small prussic keeper, that doubled sometimes to keep rope on spoon in a 2:1 pull on lever w/rope.
Used the wedgie on a string for a bit, but need to pound it with something.

Last edited:
That looks like license for Some people to sloppily one- hand the saw.

More protection generally leads to more risk-taking behavior, IME.

I like the idea of a gauntlet just for general armor. I think Marc mentioned the ones he uses he likes for dragging brush and stuff. I don't know that I'd enjoy wearing it in summer. That's another thing that's better about cool weather. You can armor up and hit the woods without overheating.

I'll admit I do one-hand quite a bit. My less than graceful climbing style tends to chew my arms up, as well as rammy follow thru's with the handsaw. Screenshot 2023-10-07 152435.png

Back