What kind of rope is prusik made of?

Robert P

TreeHouser
I plan to order some items on Treestuff - I don't see that they offer longer lengths of prusik line like WesSpur. I'm looking at 3/8" Ocean prusik. What type of rope will work for a friction hitch on New England Safety Blue 1/2" climbing rope?

Thanks.

I don't know about different ropes etc, but I always use off cuts of climbing line as a prussic/Blake's hitch.
Ideally of another colour.

1406211266655.jpg You can make a single eye split tail (tied or spliced) with hitch cord, just fine. That's what you'll want for tying a tauntline or a Blake's. For the more "high-speed" and customizable hitches (distal, vt, Campbell... etc,) you'll need an eye2eye prussic cord. These can also be tied or spliced. Equal rope/cordage diameter is OK with the tauntline and Blake's, but the eye2eye hitches perform far better when the hitch cord is 10%+ smaller than the climbing line.
I would recommend starting los and slow with a Blake's. It's tried and true, and knowing and understanding how to use it will come in handy as you increase yourskill and technique. Be sure to learn to tie it correctly, as there is a version of the Blake's known as the "sui-slide." Low and slow.
As far as which one? It's all a matter of preference and opinion, and different tech cord will perform differently on different rope. I suggest you keep it inexpensive and get short lengths (5-10') of a few different cords. There are several ways that rope/cord is constructed and they will each grip/slide/wear a bit differently.
I like the 10mm (⅜) ocean on ½" double-braided lines... its also a joy to splice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm envisioning doing what this guy is doing - what kind of rope does it look like he's using for his tied-end hitch?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6X2AvTQjB_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

You're saying you can't use a Blakes hitch with hitch cord? What should you use?

Robert, no offense, but if you don't know a blake's hitch is tied with regular rope on regular rope...
I know you're trying to learn. Again I'll suggest you get a put on ground only bid, do the ground work, and go LOW and SLOW with rec climbing. Bids are generally free. Making a big mess is a lot less work than an organized take down for the crew to process. People can sometimes do a POGO at a small fraction of the price of full service. You might be able to hire a small company that doesn't have a lot of ground support or gear. Be safe.

Robert, no offense, but if you don't know a blake's hitch is tied with regular rope on regular rope....
Neither did you until you obtained the information. That's why I'm asking specific questions.

I feel confident I possess the requisite intelligence and coordination to tie and use one. I'll let you know (or leave instructions for my next of kin to do so) if this proves to be hubris on my part.

I'm most likely to go with a VT anyway, so it's probably a moot point.

Yep...on the video, he says it's a VT with Ocean Poly.

What I'm finding (as a new climber) is that different hitch cords, different hitches, different climbing ropes, amount of usage/wear on hitch cord and climbing rope all combine to act ... well... differently.

You can start with what you've seen on a video, but will have to experiment to find what works for you with any given combination. I frequently find that new hitch cord needs to be descended on a few times before it starts to grab consistently. As everyone says...low and slow.

As everyone says...low and slow.
Absolutely - I'll do a lot of practice to get comfortable and familiar with climbing - and feeling confident that the rig is actually going to hold me before I start hauling a chainsaw aloft.

Robert, you do seem to be an intelligent fellow. Climb safe.

I suggest you start climbing with a hand saw. It's often where professionals start out. A lot, carry both hand and chain saws.

You can tie a Blake's with any split tail. It will work fine with 10mm beeline. It doesn't have to be the same rope as your climb line. There are better options but it does work

Robert, i usually start my new apprentices out with a Distel on a split tail, set up on a Hitchclimber.
That is a very forgiving hitch.
Then once they've goten some practice, I let them switch to a VT.
IMO the VT is too finicky to be a beginners hitch.

You can tie a Blake's with any split tail. It will work fine with 10mm beeline. It doesn't have to be the same rope as your climb line. There are better options but it does work

Interesting. Never have I heard of anyone doing it for production climbing. Is that 10mm on 1/2" climbing line? Seem better than a typical split tail, for Blake's hitch climbers.

Robert, my old boss used a blake's hitch. He's your weight, roughly. It bound up too tight on him. Someone suggested adding an extra turn for better release. I don't know at all if its better.

The hitchclimber pulley works great with a foot ascender. Hand pulling slack on long climbs seems so obsolete to me, whether single rope or double rope. I DdRTed a small section today, as I was climbing the limbs. Much less overall strain and effort to use a foot ascender to advance slack, and keep both hands on the tree. No stops, no hanging off one arm needlessly.

Robert, have you seen the Beginner Tree Climbers thread? https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...ree-Climbing-Tips&highlight=beginner+climber?

Robert, my old boss used a blake's hitch. He's your weight, roughly. It bound up too tight on him. Someone suggested adding an extra turn for better release. I don't know at all if its better.

I'm sure I'll experiment with various hitches to see how it all plays out in practice but I notice that VT seems to be popular among the Hitchclimber users I've seen on YouTube. Waiting on a big load of gear to arrive to start trying it all out including exchanging the basic butt-strap Weaver saddle for a Weaver Cougar based on what I've been told in here.

The hitchclimber pulley works great with a foot ascender. Hand pulling slack on long climbs seems so obsolete to me, whether single rope or double rope. I DdRTed a small section today, as I was climbing the limbs. Much less overall strain and effort to use a foot ascender to advance slack, and keep both hands on the tree. No stops, no hanging off one arm needlessly.
Yeah, I'm bypassing the old-school methods going to a hitch-climber with a foot ascender, also plan on making a homemade HAAS - doesn't seem like it should be all that difficult to make one based around the same chest-ascender the HAAS comes with which I picked up for under $20 on Amazon. Stepping your way up the rope seems like a whole lot less hassle and a lot faster than various traditional methods I've observed, though no doubt I'll experiment with them as well just for fun - and who knows, there might be a circumstance where it could come in handy to know how to do it the old way. But as a go-to method for actually getting up into a tree to do some cutting the foot ascender and HAAS seems like the way to go - especially if I might need to go up and down repeatedly.

Also going to see about making a homemade throwbag slingshot.

Will definitely check it out, thanks.

Be open to starting with something other than the VT. I saw all the videos when I started so I went straight to the VT and quickly looked for another hitch that wasn't quite as sensitive. Scared the heck out of me. I'm comfortable using a VT with the Rope Wrench now with some hitch cord/ rope combinations but I learned why the VT is not generally considered a beginner's hitch.

From your other posts, I know you're prepared to try out different combinations and that's a good thing.:thumbup:

One thing that i'm not sure has been mentioned, is that one of the things that has to happen for a new climber to climb safely is for them to develop the "muscle memory" to let go of the hitch when startled by a sudden or too fast of a drop. The natural inclination is to hang on tighter (and a quick trip to the ground).

Also, if for any reason the hitch doesn't grab, push up on it.

If one is worried about using the VT.. Just follow the Hitch Climber video and start with a schwabish. Very predictable hitch.
Once you get the feel for how the system works and develop your muscle memory with your line and hitch, try others out low and slow, dial them in to what works for you in cordage and wraps with your weight etc. Don't be afraid to experiment, just use common sense and stay low and slow until you find what you like when you are trying something new.

I was referring to this one Sean....
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ydt-hUT6aGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back