What bar on the 200t??

• Thread starter sytherstrike
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 8K
16" usually but for deadwooding big oaks I like a 12". It's just a lot easier flipping the saw over and around branches and stuff with the short bar.

I've never run them with anything bigger than 12", but have often thought of getting a 16" to put on one saw, just to use for those trees, where the cuts are bigger, but I don't want the hassle of climbing with a bigger saw.
It's one of those things I think about once in a while, but never get around to actually doing something about.

I've got a 12" on mine at the moment with a skinny chain but that's just because it's going to be in a speed contest in about a week and a half .Afterwards I have a 16" to hang on it . Most trimmers around here run a 14" .

I wish I had a 12" b+c for that event too with a semi square chain :lol: . But decided I wasn't sinking anymore money into it, because it may be going by by. So 16" and safety chain it is :X.

I figured you are the Bumble Bee champ anyways and a stocker wouldn't have had a chance against your modded 200 and piped mini mac. ;)

When I get a chance I'll hang my 12" on a stock 200T to see if there is a diff in power . Due to the fact my little saw has been reworked it wouldn't prove much to use it for a comparrison .

You cant slap it on the stocker at the gtg to test for him Al.

While a 16" bar can be advantageous in facilitating larger cuts without bringing up a bigger saw the primary advantage IMO is the extr inches of reach. Frequently a couple of inches makes a difference in what you can cut without repositioning.

I'd much rather reposition on the rare occasion than spend the day holding the end of the bar up. much easier on the wrist and forearm using a balanced saw..... If I ever one handed a saw that is:/:

What does the length of the bar have to do with "cutting and tossing?"

So if you climb, then you need a longer bar?

I am trying a 14in bar for the fist time in years over a 12. If the saw did not have a ported exhaust I would not have even tried it. It has it's advantages when blocking down, however there is a noticable decrease of speed of cut in smaller diameter branches. The jsy is out so for now one saw with the 12in and one with the 14in

I'm not a climber so of course I can't make a good comparison of weather a 200T has the moxy to pull a 16" well .I will say this though if I can run a mini Mac using a 16" then a 200 T will have no problem at all . The little Stihl has to have at least half again as much more power if not more .

I haven't checked yet but I do believe my 200 has more guts than the mini Mac I have with a tuned pipe .

When I'm cutting and catching limbs, sometimes in awkward positions, I like to get the cutting hand far away from the moving arm ASAP.

Back