Whaling

Who's casting judgement? I missed that post...

You obviously didn't read my post in its entirety before trying to be contrary to me. I didn't accuse anyone of casting judgment. I responded in a carefully worded way to this question... "Can a person do that for a living and be normal person? Just wondering." I then when on to say at the end of my post how I myself don't judge those sort of people. But I didn't accuse anyone of casting judgement. I just offered the flipside of the coin that we as tree workers are in the business if ending a form of life also.

Haha, so true. In my old age though, I frequently wish I didn't have to kill such nice trees. 2 huge white oaks last Thursday and Friday, definitely felt a bit bad about killing such awesome tree. It may not make a lot of sense, but its how I feel, and I've read others on here that have said similar.

Yes, that is exactly what I was wondering. It's hard to imagine the kind of person who could do that 40hr/week. But I have no first hand knowledge, so I was asking. But its not like hunting where the kill is part of it but it's far from the whole thing.

Cory, I wasn't trying to light you up buddy. I was trying to play the devils advocate. Text leaves me a lot of room for error because I have little expression in the words. In hind sight, my words came on stronger then I actually intended them to, and if I offended anyone, I am sorry. I forget the little smiley/expressions icons are there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cory, I wasn't trying to light you up buddy. I was trying to play the devils advocate. Text leaves me a lot of room for error because I have little expression in the words.

Hell, ma brotha, I never took it that way at, not even a little. Its definitely all good. You perspective is always most welcome. I'm usually in wholehearted agreement with most of your points of view anyway, so if we disagree, well then that just makes things more interesting.

It is ironic that most if not virtually all tree men love trees, yet are experts at eliminating them. I suppose it's that way in many different walks of life.

My OP point was, lay off the whales, Japs. Like Jay said, it's lame they do it under the guise of scientific research.

Of course, I hope my sense of humor always stays intact. One of my favorite tee shirts ever was made by a best friend, back in the 80s when there was much controversy over nuclear proliferation, whales becoming endangered, and baby seals being clubbed in the arctic for fur. It said on the front:
CLUB THE SEALS, NUKE THE WHALES.
It pissed off lots of people.:lol:

Remember back in those days, people would make their own tee shirt slogans all the time, with the block letters that would get heated/ironed on? I don't see that anymore. Theres plenty of wacky tee shirts out there, but seems you have to pick from a pro manufacturers offerings.

The best friend, mentioned above, was a logger and major hunter;)

It's only a matter of time before our self importance will find a humble moment on this little ball of a planet.
http://www.today.com/video/today/49579010#49579010
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CQ5dRyyHwfM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I recently read somewhere that some dolphins were taught a series of whistles and clicks to represent the word sargassum and asscociate the word as seaweed. This was then run through a computer to pick up the sequence and play the word "sargassum" once spoken in this new series of dolphin sounds. Seaweed was then submitted before them. Low and behold, "sargassum" came over the speaker. Interesting.

biologically a human life is worth much less than a whales, I agree w/ the whale wars/greenpeace people about that.

I remember watching a video about tuna fishing in the early sixties. Those guys, back when our oceans where boiling with fish, would find a school and stay on it until there was very little left. I think there is a distinction between farmed animals, bred to the purpose, and wild stocks. I totally agree with CV, a reckoning is coming.

I agree Butch. I know that line of thinking drives some people crazy, but I won't/can't see it any other way.

I'm not an environmental zealot by any means.

Looks like the international court ruled that Japan taking whales for "scientific research purposes" can't continue, there being no evidence of much of anything scientific going on. At least Japan was exploiting up to now what was a legal loophole. Now perhaps they will join Norway and Iceland and just say the hell to the IWC moratorium on the hunt, and admit that they will be killing whales for the flesh. Those three are the only countries still hunting whales.

Interesting reading.

Some may already know this, my other half is from the North of Norway, her family are from the Lofoten Islands. Stine's uncle is a commercial fisherman and previously a whaler.

Last summer we were out there and ended up going out on his new trawler. It is an ex whaler, cannon mount, crows nest the lot. As a family and company they fish primarily for Cod and Kveite (Greenland Halibut). They make very good money and they are fishing sustainable stocks.

Just this afternoon I was chatting to my missus, she had been speaking to her mother about family stuff. As off May, the uncle has been reissued with a whaling license to compliment his other quotas for the year. I am yet to find out how many they will be able to harvest. But being Norwegian, I am sure the research has been done and the stock levels are sustainable, just like the rest of their quotas.

I have eaten whale meat many, many times. Whale meat caught at the correct time of year is delicious, very meaty and not fish like. These guys are not doing it under the guise of research, they are following government policies and official research into the numbers.

So if it is harvested and sustained in such a way are you all still against it?

Cheers.

whaler.jpg

I understand if it's a cultural thing. If there is good, honest research which supports a sustainable level of harvest, in line with the environmental requirements of the marine ecosystem, and it supports a long standing cultural tradition, then I'm sort of OK with it. Still basically hunting an endangered species for food. . .

Nice picture, and nice to hear another perspective.

As a family and company they ……. make very good money and they are fishing sustainable stocks.

More power to them. I don't often hear that these days about fishermen, except those fishing in Alaska, where the waters are very productive and perhaps the world's best managed. More often I hear of poor ROI and switching from one stock to another as the stocks are depleted.

But being Norwegian, I am sure the research has been done and the stock levels are sustainable, just like the rest of their quotas...
These guys are not doing it under the guise of research, they are following government policies and official research into the numbers.

You may very well be correct, but I wonder have Norway's government policies and official research ever been inaccurate or wrong, like the official dogma of most other governments around the world? Has Norway experienced fishery crashes that were unforeseen or caused by wrong policies or quotas? Just because they say it doesn't make it so, is what I'm suggesting. Doesn't make it not so, either, of course.

So if it is harvested and sustained in such a way are you all still against it?

Sustainability is key. If you legitimately have that, then the subject becomes much less contentious, imo. Beyond that, personally I would have an issue taking animals of higher intelligence, like whales.

Back