Whaling

Oh, sure. If you look at it like just another job its not so hard to believe. I suppose there are people who clean porta pottys for a living and are happy to have a job.

I believe that we have come to view certain jobs as barbaric that 70 years ago were seen as common place or even revered because we have options now. I believe in options! It means we are doing pretty good. Organic foods, free range and vegan and vegetarian lifestyles are within more people's reach, should they choose the option.

Killing and butchering large animals by man...I suppose it goes all the way back in history, like Jay said back in the day it was different. On the sociological level it promoted teamwork and survival, probably watched the Canids pack hunt and adopted idea...Whales, Mammoths, Water Buffalos...all big

Way back when here they made a law here that you are not allowed to slaughter anything above the order of a chicken. You have to call in a licensed professional to do it. I never enquired about the reasoning behind it, I assume it is to be as humane to the animals as is possible. Killing your own animals will get you into a fair amount of trouble, apparently.

Let me get this straight.....

This site is loaded with guys that froth at the mouth to kill sprawling, huge, several hundred year old trees that have LIVED through many genres, wars, etc. Living organisms that stood a greater rest of time then any chicken or goat. Lived through wet times, dry times, insect invasion, disease, etc, and still there standing alive. But someone asks for a price to kill the fucker, and we cant crunch numbers in our heads fast enough. But the guy that kills livestock for a living, because he has bills to pay too, and working at the butcher/slaughterhouse requires him to kill the animals before packaging them for meat, might not be normal?

Its life. You'll sit and fire down a steak from your grill, or drool over some fried chicken cutlets, yet question the guy that killed the animal for you? Really? Seriously? Maybe the guy working at the slaughterhouse should have started skinning and gutting the animal without killing it? That would have been much less sadistic, no? Its not a volunteer job. Its not like the guy that does the slaughtering is out doing it for fun just to get a giggle seeing the animals eyes roll back in its head. Its a paying job, and someone obviously needs the work to get their bills paid. You know there's people that inject semen into cows and horses for breeding? A little glass tube full of jizz. They put it in the animal to breed it. In fact, go to your nearest dairy farm and notice how there is probably no bull in the barnyard breeding all the cows. Someone actually manually impregnates the animal with a rubber glove and a small tube. I bet that person is just a pervert or a rapist........ couldn't just be a job.

I try not to judge people that are gainfully employed. I myself don't want to work in a slaughterhouse. But it will be a cold day in hell when I cast any judgments on the guy that does. He is getting out of bed, tying his boots, and contributing to society. Im more concerned with questioning all the deadbeats in America that have exempted themselves from the work force.

Guess I missed it too.
Helluva difference between Killing whales and killing trees, imo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Let me get this straight.....

This site is loaded with guys that froth at the mouth to kill sprawling, huge, several hundred year old trees that have LIVED through many genres, wars, etc. Living organisms that stood a greater rest of time then any chicken or goat. Lived through wet times, dry times, insect invasion, disease, etc, and still there standing alive. But someone asks for a price to kill the fucker, and we cant crunch numbers in our heads fast enough.

Haha, so true. In my old age though, I frequently wish I didn't have to kill such nice trees. 2 huge white oaks last Thursday and Friday, definitely felt a bit bad about killing such awesome tree. It may not make a lot of sense, but its how I feel, and I've read others on here that have said similar.

But the guy that kills livestock for a living, because he has bills to pay too, and working at the butcher/slaughterhouse requires him to kill the animals before packaging them for meat, might not be normal?

Yes, that is exactly what I was wondering. It's hard to imagine the kind of person who could do that 40hr/week. But I have no first hand knowledge, so I was asking. But its not like hunting where the kill is part of it but it's far from the whole thing.

Slaughterhouse is a job, it is not for everybody...I suppose just like climbing....Vermont is re examing farm slaughter laws now as people desire local humanely raised meats. Yeah the bull Semen thing, probably not fun either though that Vet or tech does have the satisfaction of knowing he or she is saving dairy farms mucho trouble keeping a Bull...fact is Beef Bulls are turned out with the Cows, get plenty of sex so they are quite placid usually. Dairy Bulls on the other hand are kept isolated till needed and really dangerous...more Vets are attacked by Dairy Bulls in Vermont than any other farm animal...Whale hunting probably feels like a job too with some satisfaction as well, many people will eat.

My experiences helping to slaughter Chickens, well I eat a lot less Chicken...worked in a Trout hatchery where I killed many Trout, hardly ever eat hatchery fish now.

...Mystic Seaport, Conneticut has great displays and does give a fair idea of how back in the day of Whale oil and meat it was a big, dangerous, bloody job

Holstein bull are killers, that is for sure. Sometimes they are kept in concrete pens.
My friends had a holstein clean up bull that carried a log chain in its nose. When he would come frisking over to kill you he would step on the chain and spill himself.

Taking apart an animal is kind of fascinating work. You start with a dressed carcass and end up with lots of little packages of delicious meat. I am not very good at it but my friend is an artist.

As far as a job, I find myself asking "what kind of person could do that" with any sort of factory job. How someone could stand in one place on an assembly line and do one thing for years is beyond me, I could not do it. Big slaughter houses operate in a manner similar to that, except it is a dis-assembly line.

Also a big difference between people killing whales and killing other humans. People can get used to anything, especially if you add a little crazy to them. Take the Rwandan genocide, for example.

Guess I missed it too.

Where did I compare killing whales to killing trees, I missed that post. I did talk about slaughterhouse workers though.

I was pointing out the fact that we as tree workers kill living organisms also, that, much like any living object, have something beautiful about them. Livestock can be cute, trees can be grand and majestic. Killing things is a part of life. We don't all take part in it, but harvesting living objects for the good of man has been part of how things happen since the dawn of time. We kill trees for lumber, plants for food, animals for meat, fish for meat. As humans, we end life to continue ours.

Again, I didn't compare the two. If you read my words as written, you might find my logic and justification for the working man that clocks in at the slaughterhouse. If you just read the fact that I offered a flipside to the coin, it would be easy to think I support killing whales.

For the record, I don't support killing any living organism if there isn't a sustainable population to draw from, if it can be avoided at all costs. I have limited knowledge about whales, but I do believe they are dwindling(?), and with that said, I don't endorse killing them.

Worst one I ever helped with...Spring (early) , White Tail at the bottom of my hill a Doe struck by a car, my buddy happened to see it and turned around... Police took his information for Game Warde and gave him the Deer...he came up here and we gutted her out...sad as she was pregnant with two... yet it would be stupid to waste the meat

Back