Whaling

I recall many years ago living in the workshop dormitory when an apprentice, standing up at a general meeting and saying that we should refrain from including whale in our meals. There were some rather unfriendly words directed at me as a result. Whale is rather tasty, btw. I don't at all like what has been the Japanese approach to continued whaling, saying that they are killing the Minks for research purposes, which is bullshit. I could have a bit more sympathy for the hunters if they were honest about it. The truth is that whaling has been the life support of coastal villages involved in the practice for many generations, and it isn't the desire to slaughter the creatures for reasons other than to continue the known way of life. Fewer and fewer have continued the trade, still there are some holdouts. Perhaps some understanding can also be directed towards their plight. Three or four generation whalers, it is in the blood. Their needs perhaps make them blind to the cruelty that they inflict on such magnificent creatures. There is not a lot of land here for raising meat, the sea has always provided most of the protein staple. Now with imports of beef, that has much changed. The newer generations haven't much grown up eating whale, aside from sometimes in school lunches, so the interest in having it at your table as your choice has become much less amongst consumers. It also isn't as nearly available. To some degree there might be a few to a lot of people here that don't like the idea of killing whales as of the old days, but I don't ever hear much protest about it, or even commentary for that matter. I guess that you could say that it is still an accepted part of the culture, as archaic a mentality that it might seem to be.

As to why anyone still wants to eat whale, given what is known about the intelligence of the sea creatures and their population numbers, I guess as much as anything, it has a lot to do with a people that has a rather complacent mindset when it comes to some subjects that in other cultures would be much easier for the people to form definite opinions about. People have their feelings about things, but not much coordination here for making protests. Making waves and registering strong opinions is not a strong suit of the culture. My wife, for example, she might buy some fruit or something at the market, and when we go to eat it, find that inside it is no good. I tell her to take it back and speak with the manager and get it replaced. i could talk until I'm blue in the face, but she absolutely will not do it. Nor will just about anyone else, it is the way that they were raised, suffer yourself rather than make any interference. I think to myself, but...but..but, but in reality, western logic and common sense about such things just does not apply. If you don't like something, suck it up yourself and keep quiet.. An incredible ability to endure, for better and for worse.

Fisherman's associations and rice grower's associations and the like, they are old and have a lot of power. The politicians get their pressure and don't want to upset their constituents, so needed changes don't get made. I think international pressure has made it tough on whalers, but the only way it will ever completely disappear, is if the market just no longer makes the practice profitable. Japanese generally aren't ones to throw in the towel easily when it comes to ancient practices. As paradoxical as it might seem, I suspect that there is also a spiritual aspect to whaling. Many old trades have their God that the practitioners pray to. Probably a whaler has a shrine in his house or certainly at the company headquarters, insuring the boats make port safely again with a bountiful catch. Yes, it is a shame, but I think it might be good to have some understanding about the issue in a more complete sense. When the Sea Shepherd interferes with the whale boats, it isn't just stopping the catch, but it is also affecting entire families and villages. Some people will have a harder time separating the good from the bad of it.

Very interesting. Thanks Cory for bringing it up and Thanks Jay for explaining. I am not sure that I am against whaling, but I have a hard time agreeing with the way Japan does it. Then again, I have very little knowledge of how Japan actually does it.

Meat is a hell of a thing. Every year I work my bum off saving and caring for newborn calves. Bottle feeding some, warming them in the hot box when hypothermic, "educating" some cows that are not good mothers, and generally becoming quite attached to them, genuinely caring for their well being only to send them to the feed lot and eventually to slaughter.

Its something I have to square with myself every year.

For a lot of years I used to raise and slaughter turkeys for our consumption. Hated doing the latter, because they would follow me around, and eat Swiss Chard from my hand. Cool birds.
Nowadays, we have a couple of different kinds (Sweetgrass, Bourbon Reds) that are pets.
Still love eating turkey, but we buy them when on sale for a good price at the supermarket.
I have nothing against hunting or hunters, but find the industry surrounding the killing of some creatures (like whales, rhinos, elephants) a bit repellent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jay, thoughtful, balanced, and well reasoned as usual.

You mentioned disruption of whaling causing harm to "villages", well I sniff a little corporate greed being the real driving force behind the factory ship pictured hunting in Antartica. Grounding that ship would probably put 5 skilled people out of work until they could find jobs on other kinds of ships, and the rest are laborer types who could work anywhere laboring. I'm guessing it wouldn't affect "villagers". Sustenance hunting for whales on a small scale seems much more palatable. But the factory ship winching in the mother and calf reeks of mankind at its worst, humans using the power of technology to hammer a species of intelligence and some rarity, as if natural resources are unlimited.

The whole meat thing is difficult, as mentioned above by FF zero and Pelorus. Fair chase hunting of abundant species is all good, imo. There are no old age homes for wildlife (lucky bastids), so a humane ethical kill is kinda part to the whole circle of life, imo. But whaling? Tough luck for those who ''depend" on it for a job in this day and age. Loads of things that were once necessary and acceptable have become outdated, to the benefit of the masses and detriment to few.

What is up with the whale meat for school lunches?? How random a food choice is that?

...though I try to eat low on the food chain and have worked a Trout hatchery...to connect I have helped out on slaughter day at several farms...no red meat or Whale for me...still eat Birds... after killing Chickens myself I eat less of them

I can't really say about the whale in school lunches, other than in some prefectures they include it. Others, it isn't served. Likely the places that have whaling going on include it, or neighboring locations. i can easily see a politician encouraging such a menu if he has whalers amongst his constituents, and or has ties with the whaling industry organization. You used to see fresh whale offered in the fish markets, but i think that canned is what is most common now. I suspect my local market will also have it, never looked. We don't eat it. I guess if i was at someone's house and it was served, I'd have mixed feelings about having some. It's been years since I last had it. Probably would refrain, there is enough other food to eat to stay alive. Horse meat, I don't have a problem with. Looking into that industry might raise concerns too, however. At least horses are dumber than whales, I suspect.

Yes, eating low on the food chain is a good thing on every level, afaik. I absolutely love to eat meat but eating factory farmed meat is bad news, and eating or using products of endangered species is, duh, bad.

It feels dopey up here on a soapbox but, damn, that whaling got me pissed.

The thought that the Japanese may serve whale for lunch never even made me blink. For some reason I would have assumed they did.
I would probably try whale if served to me, if I ever visit Japan or Norway or Finland. I suppose I would eat seal if I ever explore my Eskimo or Inuit heritage. (not sure which) I suppose I would try horse if I ever travel to France or Quebec.

Is the aversion to whale because some of them are rare or because they are thought to be intelligent?

...my personal meat thing , I will not eat an animal that I could not kill w / my bare hands! ... makes for good Dinner table conversation

Back in the 1980's a well known Canadian author; Farley Mowat wrote a book called "A Whale for the Killing".
Reading it will make one's blood boil.
An 80 ton Fin got trapped in an inlet or bay (whatever) in Newfoundland......and how it eventually succumbed to a slow lingering death after being continually harassed for days by "sportsmen" in boats chasing it, and shooting it with high-powered rifles. If I recall correctly, that whale was a pregnant female.

At least with the old days of going after whale in long boats, the whales had a sporting chance, and one flip of their tail and the hunters could be in the drink, no doubt sometimes permanently. Now with the high powered ships and propelled harpoons, whales are merely victims. The same goes for the Giant Tuna, guys alone in boats or large harvesting vessels, the odds are a lot different, and the numbers that get caught. Plus now there are the devices to spot the prey underwater.

We have had 2 goats for a couple of year, Hester and Carmella. I butchered them this fall, doubt I will be doing that again. Hard to get to know them then eat them. Well actually the eating isn't so bad, its the killing that sux.

How did you do them in?

I had a friend that worked in a slaughter house that I would help on occasion. You see some unsettling stuff sometimes, but then again we were making food.
A strange fellow brought in a kid goat to be slaughtered. We did not ask questions(not our place) and my friend drug a knife across its throat. The darn thing dressed at fifteen pounds. I always wondered if the goat was served for dinner one night as punishment for his children, he was strange after all.

Its a damn dirty job and hard work to boot. Some folks are cut out for it some are not, I sorta am not, I will, but prefer not to.

The strange thing is that when they banned horse slaughter in the U.S., things got worse for the horses. Abandonment, starvation and transport to Mexico. Aint no animal wants to get slaughtered in Mexico.

EDIT: I just clicked back to the main page and remembered that this was the whaling thread. Sorry for the derail!

Not a derail.

"Some folks are cut out (:/:) for it.."

Can a person do that for a living and be normal person? Just wondering.

Back