WE LOST ALL OUR PICS!

MasterBlaster

Administrator Emeritus
The reason we couldn't post any attachments was because the database was corrupt and because of that we lost all attachments. :(

Sorry everyone. Evidently this happened because I never pruned anything from the TreeHouse. I'm not sure what Funky set it to, but I think its gonna be 60 days. If a thread isn't bumped in that time it will be pruned. However, the Hall Of Fame forum will NOT be pruned. I'm not sure how I'll handle that, I'll play it by ear at this time.

And thanks to Funky for sorting all of this out! :rockon:

glad you figured it out. Too bad about the old attachments tho. I guess the TH has just gotten to big

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, unless they are in the Hall Of Fame forum.

That sounds bad at first, but actually it isn't.

I think.

What a bummer. There were so many good pictures here on the Treehouse.:(

Why does vBulletin require pruning? Every vBulletin I visit has pruning issues. Is it because of available storage space at your host?

Dave

I'm not sure how it works. My server (Ipowerweb) has tons of space. It's the database of the vBulletin software that has the problems. I need to look around for something better, maybe. Supposedly, THIS vBulletin crap was supposed to be the best.

From a user stand point, especially with dialup, vBulletin is not my first choice. If you are considering a switch, I can highly recommend SMF www.simplemachines.org I have two forums using SMF and find that it is very easy to setup and maintain, and it's free, with tons of support at the SMF forum. I don't know how hard it would be to convert, but it can be done. I am using a bridge to Coppermine for photos, which requires a couple more mouse clicks than an attachment, but offers good control of photo content. The Forestry Forum uses SMF as an example. It is has been customized a little though for appearences sake. Jeff is a real wizard when it comes to running the forum. Don't know if this helps at all. Thanks for all your efforts MB and Funky, the Treehouse stands out from the forum crowd.:thumbup:

Dave

ouch, after my computer crashed this summer here is where I came to recover some of the pics I lost... thanks Funky for fixing the house!

Here is where I should have come after my computer crash to recover a bunch of my pics which are now gone forever :( . Dang man I'll be missing those old threads too.

Hardware problems can happen to anybody. You wouldn't be hosting through them anyway. If you like your host, there's no reason you can't stay with them, should you wish to switch to a different software package.

I hate the idea of loosing old posts, some of them have a ton of great information in them. One of my favorite forum activities is to go back through a forum and read old topics.

Dave

MB, vBulletin can't get the pics back? Those were a huge part of this site. I would refer people here to check out pics of splices and things like that.

Youch...this one hurts!

love
nick

MB, vBulletin can't get the pics back? Those were a huge part of this site. I would refer people here to check out pics of splices and things like that.

Youch...this one hurts!

love
nick

It sure does. Starting a new thread is the only way to bounce back. I'm restarting the threads that are important that I can think of.

Why is this all of a sudden being thrown on us now? Did vBulletin change their software recently? This website has been a wealth of knowledge and a great reference source on many an occasion. Now we're limited to what we've talked about in the last 60 days?

Is there such a thing as vBulletin PREMIUM where we don't have to deal with that? I know a lot of us pick on Treebuzz because you can only post one pic at a time. It seems it'd be better to go through that pain, just to know the pic will still be there in 2 months.

There's got to be a way!

love
nick

There IS a way, the HOF forum. Picture dependant threads will HAVE to go in that forum.

But really, think about it; If a thread hasn't been bumped in over two months, then (IMO) that thread has run it's course anyhow.

And I'm open to suggestions as to better forum software.

True... but it was cool to be able to show some of my friends and family threads like "Beranek's Big Tree" thread, or "Fallin' with D.Douglas Dent" whenever I wanted/needed to.

We'll recover though... Treehousers always do.

Gary

It's not that hard to remember every two months to bump a thread, is it?

And if it's that important it can always be moved to the HOF.

Can you dig it?

There IS a way, the HOF forum. Picture dependant threads will HAVE to go in that forum.

But really, think about it; If a thread hasn't been bumped in over two months, then (IMO) that thread has run it's course anyhow.

And I'm open to suggestions as to better forum software.

I'm sure you are correct for many of the TH'ers. But for me it's a little different. The sole reason I am permitted to spend time on Internet tree climbing forums while in pay status, using Forest Service hardware, is my role as technical advisor to the FS Tree Climbing Program. I field questions from agencies all over: federal, state, municipal, Tribal, private sector, and even general public. The archives I most often turn to for research to refresh my memory to answer queries I receive are past threads here in the THouse. It's not just a pastime for me, it's part of my job. The accumulated expertise contained in past threads, available for me to draw on, is one reason my reputation as a TA is as good as it is, if I may be so vain as to say it.

Now I know you can't do anything about this, Butch, especially just for my specific needs. And I know that you wouldn't have chosen this outcome if you'd had a choice.

I'm really bummed, because one of the very best tools I had to serve my "customers" has just evaporated.
:whine:

Back