Volunteering

No_Bivy

Treehouser
Since this past year was pretty stellar for me, I decided to donate some treework....I know it's crazy. Anyway this is the WNC Nature Center. A city run park/zoo that houses mostly native animals(rehabed or confiscated). Great place to take the kids.....deperatly needs tree work. The city does a have ass job when they come and certainly doesn't allocate money for outside contractors. Free PR and maybe a write off for me I guess.
Here we are waiting for the curators to catch the Golden Eagles so we can remove some Ailanthus and Poplar growing up through the enclosure. I guess the Bear was interested in all the commotion. Peacock showing off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
PITA removal, cut and chucked pieces off the top of the enclosure. The reason besides invasive control was to increase sun into the exhibit. I guess the birds enjoy sunning themselves. When the keeper caught the bird, I though it would bite the shat outta her. She said it'd the talons you have to watch out for. It is the opposite for the Vulture, she grabbed it by the head since the beak is the dangerous part......better them then me.

Nice work... volunteering's a good thing. Worked in a Gator park with Guy in Florida about this time last year; that was paid but then we did the Andersonville DoS on the way home.

Do they still have the gray wolves there? Those are some SPOOKY creatures.

John, that peacock picture is awesome!!

That's a great thing to be doing. I'd love to be there to help, great working environment. Peapod and Leo will learn learn some good things from your good example...maybe they'll even get some special tours of the center.

I took out some hangers (freehand work, no saw work) last weekend from a big oak where some of us train outside. It is also part of a playground where chilluns play (including Hayden). The county would probably never get around to it, easy enough for me.

This is a good thread to start. I'd be curious to see what other folks do.

Carl - LJ - and I will be pruning in Andersonville Cemetery in May (site of a big Civil War POW camp).

We are gonna remove a tree from a Cougar exhibit....cause of the Tiger escape. This cat has been de-clawed since it was a pet rescue....and it's old. Two new cougars are coming but they have claws and can climb trees:O

John, that peacock picture is awesome!!

That's a great thing to be doing. I'd love to be there to help, great working environment. Peapod and Leo will learn learn some good things from your good example...maybe they'll even get some special tours of the center.

I took out some hangers (freehand work, no saw work) last weekend from a big oak where some of us train outside. It is also part of a playground where chilluns play (including Hayden). The county would probably never get around to it, easy enough for me.

This is a good thread to start. I'd be curious to see what other folks do.

Carl - LJ - and I will be pruning in Andersonville Cemetery in May (site of a big Civil War POW camp).

Yesterday we worked on the Nature Trail....felling hazard fellings. Burnham you would been proud.. Gary, If you are ever wanting to give time, the more the merrier. Some other Arb friends of mine are gonna do a big push on removing the deadwood over the nature trail, Im hoping to wrangle 5 or six climbers

Chip, there are four Grey Wolves, two endangered Red Wolves, coyotes, foxes, you name it. Here are a few behind the scenes pics. The Bear photo was hard to get, i was skeered to get any closer. This is inside there "den". These two bears were rescued from the "Santas Land" outside Cherokee. Since the reservation does not follow the same laws they catch cubs everyyear to put on display.....pathetic. The power that be are trying to stop em.
Watson the weasel, found as a "pinky" on the sidewalk by some kids. Rehabed. If weasels were bigs as dogs they would be dangereous as shat!!!!

a few snakes....Scarlett king snake, copperhead. They have a full range of native snakes

I have a vid of some of the tree felling........waiting on Youtube:X

Finally. This was fun...dumped the very dead Oak into the woods. Did several along the nature path, but this was the biggest and most fun. Sometimes I like reaping carnage..............:lol: What say thee Burnham?
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhHbp5BMC2M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vhHbp5BMC2M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Yesterday we worked on the Nature Trail....felling hazard fellings. Burnham you would been proud.. Gary, If you are ever wanting to give time, the more the merrier. Some other Arb friends of mine are gonna do a big push on removing the deadwood over the nature trail, Im hoping to wrangle 5 or six climbers

Let me know your dates when you get it worked out...I'm interested.

bears here dont' "hibernate", they go into a sleep called "topor". They do wake up if conditions are good, and they can wake up to defend themselves. Weird being this close to one.....
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2LYBXU2H1A"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2LYBXU2H1A" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

some years they hibernate here and some years they dont. we have 300% of annual snow pack so im sure they are this year!
i love to hear the big ones go over john thanks. ive got a coupl volunteer things in mind this year, so far only one on the books and thats a kids climbing day in june

Cool John. :) I have chattered about organizing some of the same kind of thing here but usually the sites like schools or other public places are problems to get permission due to union issues. :(

Back