Volunteering

One of the latest members - Crazy Jimmy does work at the Fort Worth Zoo, maybe he'll post some pics.

No Bivy - does the ice in cooler melt quickly where its mounted - was thinking about doing that????

John, I thought I was gonna be able to see your vid since I'm down here in Scottsdale, AZ on a hotel 'puter, but no dice...have to wait until I can get to the library at home...my work system has youtube blocked, and I guess they do here too. Sorry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
are you felling catus there or something?

looks like a cool place to work. I always enjoy sending an entire tree into the woods too!

l I always enjoy sending an entire tree into the woods too!
I always enjoy keeping at least part of them vertical. Too bad that one couldn't be shortened to a snag for wildlife.

I got yesterday's job--6 hours on the clock doing fun preservation work--by volunteering. Spoke to the audubon club a few months ago. 3rd job out of that gig so far, all no-bid, "do what you think is right" kind of work.

The Rrrrrichest kind of work there is! 8)

We have created a few habitate spars there, but this one was way to dangerous to climb..no crane..no bucket = no way......sorry wood peckers.:|:

Not meaning to toot my own horn but I got to do some volunteer work this morning for the local Audubon Society. It's called the Center for Birds of Prey and they focus on Raptors (owls, eagles, falcons, hawks, etc). My job this morning was to place 3 baby Great Horned Owls back into fabricated nests hung in the trees from which they came. The first one was quite large, about 5 weeks old. His brother (sister?) was up in the tree already and mama was flying around overhead. Another local tree guy and I hung the nest and set the baby in it. Hopefully he stays put for another week or two until he can fly.

The second stop was placing a couple much smaller babies. They were only 2 weeks old, which hopefully will give them a better chance of staying put. I couldn't reach the top of the specified tree but I was able to get within 20' so it was an easy climb and Jeff was assisting from the bucket. He also took a messload of pictures. :D

:thumbup:Awesome Brian!!! Watch out for the talons!!!.... MB, how bout' a sticky on this thread....could be really cool.

are you felling catus there or something?

HA, you'd sure think so, to look out at the National "Forest". Actually, it's the annual FS National Tree Climbing program's Technical Advisory Group meeting. I serve as the regional TA for WA and OR.

Do you have an acronym headache yet? :)

Tomorrow we are doing some gear/technique demo climbs in a couple the only wild trees for 50 miles in any direction...crazy place here...don't see why people choose to live in the desert, but they do, in spades!

Brian, that's very neat. Great work.

Good job Brian, you know those guys will be huntin varmints in a few months. Keep your head down after dark. I go past our local animal rescue place all the time and they have about a dozen fan palms that haven't been trimmed in about 20 years. Ugh.

Back