vise mounted on chipper fender.

stehansen

Climbing Up
I mounted a vise on my chipper fender today. I haven't used it yet, but I'm wondering if there is a better place and what you all do. My contract climber guy says that I don't need one, that a vise is a crutch. I say BS, if it makes it easier to sharpen a saw then what's the problem. I've seen Butch's setup in the back of his pickup. I have another one of these small vises that I might want to set up also.

Attachments

• vise (Large).jpg
    vise (Large).jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 14
Looks good! Now just mount an umbrella there behind it and you're all set. :D

I put a vise on my truck last month. I've missed the one I had on the old truck. It was in a custom bracket that fit into the receiver hitch on the back of the truck. My current truck does not have a receiver hitch so I mounted it up on top of a toolbox. I have to step up into the bed of the truck to use it but it was the best location I had available on this truck. I'll see if I can remember to get pictures tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's a pic of the old setup. I'm not sure if Justin is still using it or if he ditched it.

I hope you put panhead bolts up thru the fender so the tire doesn't hit the nut and excess threads (if they are hanging down)

Best thing I ever did, makes sharpening and misc fix's a breeze on job site. You can see mine on my toolbox in this pic.

Attachments

• 8-1-08 004.jpg
    8-1-08 004.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 12
Nothing wrong with where you put the vise. I see many chippers with vises mounted on them in the same place as yours. I was always going to that to my old chipper as that is where I would do the saw sharpening. All I needed was a place to keep the bar from moving around. For small to med sized saws it was ok but a bar longer than 24 inches became a challenge.

With the new to me chipper I now sharpen saws on the chute. Darn thing is so big and wide you could lay down and take a nap in there. If we are on a job with no shade we have gotten out of sun by sitting in the chute during break times.

I always put that job off of drilling holes in the fender because it would be a good place for rust to get started. When the time came to sell it those holes would be there if you took the vise off. This is just me though. I think you did a good thing and if it makes it easier for you to sharpen a saw so much the better.

Im thinking of puting one on mine I think it would be better and safer if it is in the ruight side to keep us out of the street

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It has regular hex bolt heads down in the fender and I put the threads up and double nutted them.

Im thinking of puting one on mine I think it would be better and safer if it is in the ruight side to keep us out of the street

That would be better. My right side fender is covered up with the feed roller housing. Mine is probably on the low side. I can always raise it up if it is a problem. Being out in the street is a disadvantage.

I like Brendov idea. I am 6' 4" looks like a good height and an extra tool box is always a good thing.

i dont use a vice but ive thought of putting one on there for the crew or other misc tasks

Mine came in handy last year when I had a hydraulic hose break on a Sunday job. Luckily the hose had a reuseable fitting, so I was able to remove it, cut the end of the hose and put the fitting back on. I wouldn't have been able to do that without that vise.

I thought it would come in handy for general stuff also Brian. I checked out the height and I think I am OK. It's about bellybutton height.

Brian, I'm using it and loving it. After twenty plus years of sharpening on tailgates and stumps (and getting pretty good at it) I have discovered that I can do better, faster using the vise.

Mine came in handy last year when I had a hydraulic hose break on a Sunday job. Luckily the hose had a reuseable fitting, so I was able to remove it, cut the end of the hose and put the fitting back on. I wouldn't have been able to do that without that vise.
Now that right there is a great idea .The vise plus the reusable fitting .It might not be a bad idea to pick up a few of various sizes just for such an occasion . Those hose ends have the tendency to blow apart at the most inopertune times and locations .

I once blow the end off the "stinger " cylinder hose on a line truck .Because of the pilot operated check valves I could not lower the boom all the way .I must have blown 10 gallons of fluid trying . Talk about a pain in the butt driving that thing about 10 miles to the shop with the boom about 1/3 of the way up weaving around traffic signals so as not to snag one ,jeez .:(

Back