Veggie oil for bar and chain?

I think that old gear oil that has been used, often stinks from bacterial infestation. I sure notice it when riding my bike by a pretty large cnc lathe operation on the way to the shop.

Do you all believe you are reducing your impact on the planet by not using petr. bar oil?

Hell no! … but, Great Question!!! I don't know which is tackier, slicker or better for the planet. I do know around here, canola works ok, it's cheaper and customers like it better … just SEEMS like good business.

But, ... the planet ... :?

George Carlin said:
The planet is fine. The people are f**ked.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EjmtSkl53h4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RATED: TV MA PM {Potty Mouth} :D

Last edited:
i used veggie for a while (about 6 months i think) and after 2 oilers in the same saw and 1 in another, i went back to petro based.

Im still running the second oiler in the first saw and its been 2 yrs now since i used it. The saw still has residual veggie oil on it. It seems to gum up inside the housing.

I did have homeowners comment on the smell and when we told them what it was, most thought it was a neat idea. As for price, I found petro was a little higher upfront, but considering i had to drive over an hr to a wholesaler (sam's), i figure the cost was about the same.

It might possible be if you filled the oil tank full of WD-40 it could eat away the remains of that veggie oil .That stuff will do some amazing things .

i used veggie for a while (about 6 months i think) and after 2 oilers in the same saw and 1 in another, i went back to petro based.

I did have homeowners comment on the smell and when we told them what it was, most thought it was a neat idea.

Its obvious your not using canola. I heard of some guys using used fryer oil and who knows what else their using . I don't notice any strong smell from the canola, but like I said earlier it smells alot better then the smell of petro oil. Run canola for a while and then go back to petro and you can sure notice the solvent smell of the petro.
Been using canola in my Huskies and Stihls for over 2 yrs and never had any pump or gumming problem.

Try canola oil

Willard.

If you do use that crap... don't let it sit too long in your saw unused. I will harden and gum up. Run a tank of real bar oil through your saw every few months to break up the residue that stuff will leave behind.

You can use it... but if you neglect it... you will pay the price with the oiler in your saw.

Gary

yeah Gary is right my buddy just got a saw in that the owner was useing that crap in his saw and it quit oiling.well on futher investigating it had the oil jug and the oiler on the saw was so gummed up that you couldn't chisel the stuff loose.so it burnt the oiler up and he had to replace it and the oil jug on it before he could run it.

I often wonder if the biggest reason why some people can't warm up to running canola oil in their saws is what it stands for.......CANADIAN.
;)

I've been running it for a couple of years now, don't see any real problems. It makes me feel better about all those oil covered saw chip boogers I blow out my nose at the end of the day. The people I work for love it too, (i mean really love it). That easily covers any price difference there may be. Wether or not it is better for the earth is irrelevant, it definitely has worked out well for me.

:lol: So is that a round about saying that regular petrolium based oil stands for OPEC .

All I know is that there is more oil in northern Alberta Canada then there is in all of Saudi Arabia with a pipeline going right down into the midwest USA.

Name change?:lol:

I've been running it for a couple of years now, don't see any real problems. It makes me feel better about all those oil covered saw chip boogers I blow out my nose at the end of the day. The people I work for love it too, (i mean really love it). That easily covers any price difference there may be. Wether or not it is better for the earth is irrelevant, it definitely has worked out well for me.
Good to hear Kevin , I'm really pleased too

That canola oil sounds interesting. Wonder if some food supplier might offer it in larger volumes? Do you guys using it thin it during the colder months? i see that they sell it in the market here, and pretty cheap.

That canola oil sounds interesting. Wonder if some food supplier might offer it in larger volumes? Do you guys using it thin it during the colder months? i see that they sell it in the market here, and pretty cheap.

I can buy it at the Safeway down the street for about $5 a gal. The grocer sells it by the case too. Its good to about -10F before it really thickens up but the warm saw keeps it thin in even colder temps, you just have to keep it stored in a warm area when its that cold.

All I know is that there is more oil in northern Alberta Canada then there is in all of Saudi Arabia with a pipeline going right down into the midwest USA.

Name change?:lol:
Well since you mentioned that ,fact being I once had the opportunity to go to the "tar sands " but declined .Oh another fact ,some of that oil was at one time intended to make it almost in my back yard at a local refinery .Still might because at this time that refinery is owned by Huskey which is Canadian .

the biggest downfalls of the canola oil is that the bottles are cheap, a lot thinner, and are easily punctured by sharp sticks or chains. gotta be careful.

I don't think they packaged the stuff with the intent somebody would use it in a chainsaw .

Then too it would be better to use salad oil as bar oil than vica versa .Yuck !

A field of mineral oil looks like this:
2324278-abandoned-oil-derricks-near-baku-azerbaijan.jpg

A field of canola oil looks like this:
week20-DSCN6162_20080511_brassica-napus_for-biodiesel_raps_thuringen_germany_week20.JPG

I know which one I prefer:D

I have used Canola Oil for the last month or so, per Willard's advice in this thread. I like it so far. It is a lot thinner and the bar does seem a touch less oily, but it doesn't seem to be a problem. I am going to continue using it until I have a reason not to. :)

Restaurant or food supply will sell you 35 lbs liquid in a jug in a box. Jug is a tad thin, box helps protect it. A funnel and an old oil jug solves the issue ;)
We get ours at Smart & Final. Check with your local market or a restaurant that is familiar wiht you and they may slap one on their bulk order for you.

Back