Utility Bills

4k kwh is a bunch for one person for a month. l'd be unplug'n one thing at a time and check'n the meter.

I think you may have a neighbor tapping into your service or something. Even with the bigscreen tv, you're not burning 4K kwh per month. That's enough power for 2-3 houses.

That IS high, Butch. Is that for just one month, 30 days or so? If it is, sounds like you need to start looking around for where it's going?

This might be a 'duh'.....but you are recirculating your house air and not pulling in fresh air all the time? (I didn't know that)

We never go above 2000, four people living here. BUT...we rarely use the air conditioner. Maybe ten days each summer, tops.

This current bill was $138 for 1359 KWH.

I bought a Kill-a-Watt last year, but haven't figured it all out yet.

Therers no way you are using that amount in a normal house,Unless your using welding equipment.I just asked a freind who's an electrician.

Outside wiring...light post or outlet?

May be leaking current to ground?

Probably the meter reader 'tard has been "estimating" rather than reading for a few months, now the fill-in guy actually read it and Butch wound up in the bug zapper.

Therers no way you are using that amount in a normal house,Unless your using welding equipment.I just asked a freind who's an electrician.

I average about 11-1300 kwh most months and at the peak of my remodeling(high run time on the saws and compressors), I never hit above 1700kwh. My bill is so high because our utility screws us on trash($50.00/month) and sewer($30.00/month) This includes my welding/wrenching/woodworking power usage.

I think Justin may be on to one idea.

That is high .Ours was 140 last month .

1800 sq feet,geo-thermal ,two refridgeraters,aerobic sewage system ,all electric home .

I think the billing figures out around 7.5 cents per KWH . The geo is set for 77 degrees 7 and 24 .

Something is surely amiss for a giant bill like that . You need to get into the panal with an amp meter and do some investigating . Sometimes a loose neutral will cause a bunch of problems .---or some smart alec is snatching some power with a double ended cord while you are away or something .

They do use a lot but not that much. I haven't used one for years but it cost about $1 for 4 or 5 hours.

This month, 534kwh: $140. Plus gas $126. That's about average all year.

Something sure is wrong.

Could the meter possibly be malfunctioning? Never heard of them speeding up though. When I was wiring my shop and tinkering around with the electricity, I figured out a way to get the meter to run backwards. I don't even remember how now, except that it involved one of the legs from the three phase. For a couple months I could just about cancel out my usage costs, but one month I wasn't paying attention, and the meter showed a smaller reading than the previous month. It had them scratching their heads, and they put up a new meter. I figured I played enough of the game, and cooled it after that. It's amazing what you can find with a little experimentation.

Hmm.

I paid $60 this last month for power.

Luckily, I can run a swamp cooler and don't need a freon a/c

2 months ago we burned 3.6mw in 31 days, 3 people although I was out of town for some of that. 2700 air conditioned feet (and not at some crazy 77 degrees either, Al :P), 3-5 computers, 2 fridges, 1 deep freeze, couple loads of laundry a day, welding, air compressors, hot water heater, ect ect ect.

Combined bills were $375, about $35 of that was "TVA Fuel Cost Adjustment".

No way are you using almost 4000kw in one month. We have the highest electric rates in the nation at 20¢ per kw., even higher on the outer islands. My household of 5 people, uses about 1250kw a month, of which my 9 pv panels provide about 210kw. I hope to get at least another 9 panels in the next year. Gas stove, solar water heater, 3 refrigerators, 1 freezer, 1 commercial ice maker and 11 ceiling fans, 4800 sq. ft. house.

Something is seriously wrong with that bill.

Back