USFS NTCP TAG pictures...climbing in the desert

Burnham

Woods walker
OK, OK...acronyms suck :). U.S. Forest Service National Tree Climbing Program Technical Advisory Group. What an effing mouthful :lol:.

I am a member, representing the Pacific Northwest region. This is a small group of regional program coordinators and technical advisors who set policy for FS climbers.

This year we held our annual meeting in Scottsdale, Arizona. One day of debating program policy and one day of demo/research climbing, looking at some available options in technique and equipment that we may wish to incorporate into our training program.

We climbed in one of the very few actual trees on the Tonto National Forest, on the shore of Saguaro Lake, a reservoir on the Salt River.

I thought y'all might enjoy some pictures from the desert. Sorry about the smudge...apparently my photographer got some lip balm or something on the camera lens :(.

Attachments

• cropTAG Scottsdale 034.jpg
    cropTAG Scottsdale 034.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 13
  • cropTAG Scottsdale 037.jpg
    cropTAG Scottsdale 037.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 21
  • TAG Scottsdale 009.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 009.jpg
    709.1 KB · Views: 21
  • TAG Scottsdale 011.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 011.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 17
  • TAG Scottsdale 008.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 008.jpg
    790.5 KB · Views: 14
  • TAG Scottsdale 022.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 022.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 19
  • TAG Scottsdale 028.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 028.jpg
    885.8 KB · Views: 20
  • TAG Scottsdale 017.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 017.jpg
    562.9 KB · Views: 23
  • TAG Scottsdale 024.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 024.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 16
  • TAG Scottsdale 020.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 020.jpg
    959.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
One last one, of me using that cinch closure tarp/rope bag that Frans gave away last year...it works well for 150' of Poison Ivy. Thanks again, Frans!

Attachments

• TAG Scottsdale 031.jpg
    TAG Scottsdale 031.jpg
    848.3 KB · Views: 14
Just curious, in the pic of the kong ascender is that the 'wrong way' example?

No sir, not to my knowlege. Please educate me.

Only thing I see is that the Klemheist is not dressed properly yet...but I'm new to the double line ascenders, so speak up, I'd appreciate any input.

I seem to remember an article by Mahk Adams posted on the Buzz which had a pic of that as a no-no. Not sure of exactly why, I'll see if I can find the article.......Proper way is to back up both lines independently OR use two seperate lines.

I recall a bunch of discussion and back-up knot invention on this subject, too. Truth of the matter, I'm afraid I dismissed the whole discussion as over-the-top back-up mania, but perhaps that's unfair and incorrect.

Was Nick involved with describing some sort of double prusik?

Well, I just read that article...and Mark (whom I have a lot of respect for) does not address the setup I pictured at all. I don't know why. He suggests a system similar to the one I pictured, but without the tether from the Kong ascender to the climber. So his objections may be valid for his assumption, but do not address the arrangement I used. Perhaps his concerns remain valid for my setup, too...I don't know.

Love to hear from others on this, please chime in.

Chasing good climbing weather, brother. Last year we met in Boise, and it was cold and snowy. Year before that was in Portland, OR; rained like to choke a frog...we decided never again.

We have to meet in the early spring so the members of our group who are Smokejumpers are available, before training for fire season gets in swing.

I have seen the double ascender backed up with a blakes on each leg of the rope. 8mm cord was used, each leg tied to the ascender itself.
I have never seen the set up you show. How well does the klemheist stay dressed after a long ascent? That is does it remain tight enough to grip the lines?

Your dual rope ascenders open a small gap between the 2 lines so having a hitch around both lines will always have slack in it, if one cam fails you will fall. You have to have a hitch on each individual rope. I use a masdam system and have always wondered if the foot ascenders count as a backup.......

I have seen the double ascender backed up with a blakes on each leg of the rope. 8mm cord was used, each leg tied to the ascender itself.
I have never seen the set up you show. How well does the klemheist stay dressed after a long ascent? That is does it remain tight enough to grip the lines?

The line I set was not long, Pete, only about 35 feet to a convenient limb to dismount onto. Over that distance, the klemheist seemed keep dressed and to grip fine if you settled down onto it, but that's not the same as losing grip on one cam of the ascender, so I can't say for certain. I obviously need to do some more R&D.

That tether is 10mm Beeline, a sewn eye and eye prototype that Tobe Sherrill sent me to test. It works great for conventional FL, and I just went with it over the top of Kong without much thought. Most of you recognize the climbing line, I expect...Poison Ivy.

just reread Petes post about 2 8mm tied to the ascender. What if the attatchement to the ascender fails just take the 8mm straight to your saddle. This comes from someone who used to free climb/ hook 100 oaks daily:( but if you go to the trouble of having a backup it may as well be safe:P:

Your dual rope ascenders open a small gap between the 2 lines so having a hitch around both lines will always have slack in it, if one cam fails you will fall. You have to have a hitch on each individual rope. I use a masdam system and have always wondered if the foot ascenders count as a backup.......

If one cam fails, I will fall away from the klemheist hitch, taking the ascender with me, assuming the backup tether has some slack in it. The gap/spread between the lines would disappear within a few inches of movement downward, wouldn't it?

Yes, but would the prussik 'set' itself and cinch up on the rope?

one rope will be going up as other goes down, I dont know for sure if the hitch would tighten as it is in esensce undressed but as I say Im new to all of this fangle gizmo climbing. Put your line over something install ascenders with 1 cam disengaged , tie backup as usual and sit down . Worst that could happen is a sore arse............. Let us know...

Yes, but would the prussik 'set' itself and cinch up on the rope?

It did when tested by just setting down on it Frans. I grabbed a footlock, eased up with the ascender, released off both cams and sat down on the hitch. But as I said, that's different than the situation of losing one cam. And it's only one test on one rope/hitch combination...we all know the variables involved there.

one rope will be going up as other goes down, I dont know for sure if the hitch would tighten as it is in esensce undressed but as I say Im new to all of this fangle gizmo climbing. Put your line over something install ascenders with 1 cam disengaged , tie backup as usual and sit down . Worst that could happen is a sore arse............. Let us know...

Right you are, and I will do so soon. Thanks.

Back