USFS NTCP TAG pictures...climbing in the desert

The desert is cool.................nice Burnham. I aint no tech weenie, but I'd ride that Kong backed up with a prussick. Mine has a rock exotica double above it...:D BIG ass cactus out there....:\:

So No Bivy was right, you were out there felling cacti!

As for the ascender thing (and at the risk of inadvertently starting another bragging match), I picked this up from Mike Skillin, the current Southern Chapter AR wiz.

Ascenders_BU.jpg

Ascenders_TI.jpg

This is the application for the infamous one handed tautline feat. You, or I, or anybody can tie both of the backups over your ascenders at the same time... cuz the tautline is a true one-handed knot. Prussiks or Blakes are a bitch to tie one handed but the TL is sweet and simple.

Mike's backups are attached directly to the top of the ascenders, mine bypass the ascender body so my tether is backed up too. (didja notice that nice new blue ascender? Just got my REI dividend and a 20% off coupon; I've been stalking that ascender for almost year now.)

Seems like the Klem would hold but I'd test it pretty thoroughly... sliding 40' or 50' and grounding out would be... just, like... rude. :O

Here's the way I saw it done by the NE champ. Honestly haven't taken it for a test run myself, cuz I'm hooked on the rock exotica thingy without any back up:O

Attachments

• IMG_0634.JPG
    IMG_0634.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0633.JPG
    IMG_0633.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 49
Burnam, that's just plain 6mm cord from the rock climbing shop. I changed to 7mm because I found some that was softer and made a better knot... I'm not even sure what it's rated, it's strong though. Nice soft 7mm is perfect.

What about instead of independent back ups, securing the host line in a manner to which it wont run in both directions.

Like pulling up an alpine butterfly and choking the limb.

Burn, do you get to show them srt ascent methods? or just doubled line?

What about instead of independent back ups, securing the host line in a manner to which it wont run in both directions.

I've seen it done with two seperate lines, one tied off at the base of the tree the other tied off at the high tip. Sounds complicated but the kid set it up super fast (Doug aka climb 020, who I haven't seen on the boards in a while)

the latest info on the alpine butterfly is that it can break with a relatively low shock load.

Attachments

• doug 020.jpg
    doug 020.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 50
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Burn, do you get to show them srt ascent methods? or just doubled line?

Top, I did show my upgraded version of Tobe Sherrill's so called Tree Frog SRT system. I have replaced the footstrap with an adjustable one, and replaced the single left hand CMI Expedition ascender with the new CMI Expedition two handed ascender.

It's a pretty good system, though I think my old reliable modified Texas sit-stand system is easier to teach and learn. If you are going to climb a way long ways, ropewalking is attractive. The TF is a ropewalker of sorts, quite compact in way of components and the cost isn't as high as a Mitchell system.

No pics of the Tree Frog made it to my camera. If anyone wants, I could get some taken, at least of the components.

As to the choked limb method...even so, if the cam attached to the free side of the butterfly holds and the other leg fails, you would still fall, would you not? This is getting awfully fiddly...

No pics of the Tree Frog made it to my camera. If anyone wants, I could get some taken, at least of the components.

Ditto on the pics please. I've been cobbling together the pieces and think i have everything but would love to see one set up. Thanks for all the info.

Back