Twisted clevis

• Thread starter swampy036
  • Start date
  • Replies 74
  • Views 10K
Yeah- it's not auto locking. I'd be concerned a little riding it without a back up, but wire down the loop, or add some loctite and I'd be happier with it.

love
nick

I agree, Lock-tite is a good thing.

Here are two different twisted clevis.
Butch, you mentioned a Gibbs. That is the purple larger one holding the wire core flip line. And then for the 1/2" I have the smaller twisted clevis.

You could buy this stuff from West Marine www.westmarine.com

but you may have a different supplier in your area

Attachments

• IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0601.JPG
    IMG_0601.JPG
    249.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am hooking my prussic to a biner that is hooked to the side D. I am using the clevis as a slack tender so it does not need to be rated at all. With this set up I am able to pull slack at a 90 deg. angle. Being able to pull slack / tension like this is a lot better. Before if I was trying to pull myself into a stem away from my climb line I would have to try to pull the tail at an ackward angle to be able to suck myself in :? Now its like I have mech. advantage. Frans were you with Greg Good at the TCIA in Conn.

Not to harp on you MB, but you really shouldnt use the quick release pin when the Gibbs is used as a lanyard adjuster.
A locking bolt is recommended.

Swampy; ya might try just running the end of the lanyard through the D for secondary or full knot tending. i like this solution for cheap, light and low profile; that also is adjustable under load compaired to cam

A locking bolt is recommended; and if using the Locktite; extra tourque input to get the same bolt tightness; for Locktite adds friction that you must fight to get same bolt tightness in threads. i also would place a plastic wire tie through the bolt eye of the twisted clevis and anchor for even more safety against it backing out.

Nope looks like it's pointing up to me and trying to twist the biner.:D You need a twisted clevis

It's not pointing up, it's to the side. It's not twisting the biner, either.

So what if I pull the rope to the side, instead of down? :?

Is that a rule somewhere?

QUOTE=OTGBOSTON;217457]swampy, running it the way I showed you is just fine. The clevis isn't actually holding any weight, just tending slack. Rock on! G[/QUOTE]

Rocking hard. Did a cotton wood trim 3 good size branches over a shop. Between the clevis and the swivel the forearms were not warmed up and it was time to pack up the saws. Big time energy savers. Looking forward to the BARC climb. This time no hangovers. Not that I felt any better.:O

Rocking hard. Did a cotton wood trim 3 good size branches over a shop. Between the clevis and the swivel the forearms were not warmed up and it was time to pack up the saws. Big time energy savers. Looking forward to the BARC climb. This time no hangovers. Not that I felt any better.:O

Huh? :?

We did a rec climb after the TCIA expo in Hartford. I had a touch of the Irish flu, cuz I had met up with some old college friends the night before, and the night before that, and....you get the picture.

Mostly I rember that climb being very cold, and I remember getting a couple of tics:O

Whats up with the new avatar top? "old time hockey" its not even an original six team;)

I safety wired the locking bolt on my twisted clevis. Locktite is good, but if you want positive, verifiable, retention, safety wire is the only way to go.

Frans how did you get your name stamped/printed on your micro-sender? Pretty spiffy.

Frans how did you get your name stamped/printed on your micro-sender? Pretty spiffy.

took it to an engraver. They put your name on awards and stuff. Got tired of having my gear disappear at comps. and workshops.

For some reason I thuoght it was you at his both. My wife and I were looking at the GRCS start talking with the "salesman" after explaining we already had one he gave her his women version. This is the new and improved super slek and sexy model with a chrome finish. :lol: As she butts in and said just like the one we have. All in fun, that was the first trade show I went to. Looking forward to meeting more of the "salesmen" like that.

Ok, I'm not with y'all on the orientation thing with the twisted clevis vs. a screwlock or biner.

If I put a biner on my Macrojuster and attach that to the D ring on my hip, the tail of my lanyard hangs straight down from the Macrojuster when all is under a bit of tension. I shorten by pulling the tail down and forward.

If I put the biner on upside down, under tension the tail exits up...that is how Butch has his mounted in his pic, no matter that he says it exits to the side :). IMO that is just plain wrong, cause the weight of the tail is always trying to flip the adjuster, causing an unfair bind of biner and D ring...but I guess he can do so if he wants :D.

A twisted clevis turns the adjuster 90 degrees, so the tail really does exit to the side.

Either way, exit from side or exit from bottom, works fine and does not result in binds between D and biner.

It is purely personal choice which you prefer...for me, having done it both ways, it's easier to adjust pulling down and forward than out to the side and forward, but it matters not one whit which you do.

No twisted clevis for me.

This is the way swampy is using his twisted clevis, not that the other ways aren't good.:D

Thats a pretty expensive slack tender.

For what they cost, Id find something else to use personally.

For some reason I thuoght it was you at his both. My wife and I were looking at the GRCS start talking with the "salesman" after explaining we already had one he gave her his women version. This is the new and improved super slek and sexy model with a chrome finish. :lol:

Yea, that was me! :lol:

Glad you liked it.

Ok, I'm not with y'all on the orientation thing with the twisted clevis vs. a screwlock or biner.

If I put a biner on my Macrojuster and attach that to the D ring on my hip, the tail of my lanyard hangs straight down from the Macrojuster when all is under a bit of tension. I shorten by pulling the tail down and forward.

If I put the biner on upside down, under tension the tail exits up...that is how Butch has his mounted in his pic, no matter that he says it exits to the side :). IMO that is just plain wrong, cause the weight of the tail is always trying to flip the adjuster, causing an unfair bind of biner and D ring...but I guess he can do so if he wants :D.

A twisted clevis turns the adjuster 90 degrees, so the tail really does exit to the side.

Either way, exit from side or exit from bottom, works fine and does not result in binds between D and biner.

It is purely personal choice which you prefer...for me, having done it both ways, it's far easier to adjust pulling down and forward than out to the side and forward, but it matters not one whit which you do.

No twisted clevis for me.

I'm sorry Burnham I was confused, I should have said the slack coming out the side which is what I prefer. I have been using the twisted clevis since I switched from the old flipline hitch to using an ascender which is probably why I like it. I got a flipline from Gary which had a carabiner on it and I think the slack is easier to grab sticking out to the side than sticking out the bottom.

I wish someone would make a locking carabiner that has a twist in the bottom similar to what a clevis has. Then you could use the same biner and swap out the ascender or friction hitch. I am also a fan of having the tail come out to the side.

...maybe I should have majored in engineering.:roll:

Back