TreeoCache

pantheraba

More biners!!!
Thank Nick for getting this started.

"Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. " See http://www.geocaching.com/ for lots of details.

A standard geocache is on the ground typically...on a trail, in a park, in a building, etc. Nick had the idea to place one in a tree...he established TreeoCache 001, the first Tree Cache in the world.

http://tinyurl.com/yy46ry
There is also a thread at http://tinyurl.com/y8wux9

Today I set TreeoCache 002 in a big Willow Oak.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
This is part of the official description for the geocache.com info page:

"This is the world’s second Treeocache. It is located high up in a tree, about 45-50 feet above ground. The first branch is much higher than you can reach jumping, about 20 feet up. You can't really just climb the trunk...it is almost 5 feet in diameter, over 14 feet circumference at breast height."

I am in the process of submitting the details to geocaching.com for their approval...then it will officially be listed.

Cool gary! I got another one I'm cooking up right now.

How is it attached to the tree? It looks like the rope is just sitting in the crotch with a weight on the other end...that might be a VERY good way to keep one of those things up in the tree!

Nice cache...I can't wait to see it on the geocaching website!

love
nick

How is it attached to the tree? It looks like the rope is just sitting in the crotch with a weight on the other end...that might be a VERY good way to keep one of those things up in the tree!

A counterweight IS a good idea...hang onto it...I did not do that (I just helped YOU think of it :P)

The cord attached to the cache pulls is back thru a crotch and then goes up about 4 feet thru another crotch and back down to a limb near the cache...I used a running bowline there to allow for limb growth. The limb will have to increase from 6" diameter to about 15" diameter before the bowline is full...then it'll start pulling the cache up into the tree and around the high crotch. :O It won't happen any time soon.

NoB...if I can ever get up there I'll have my GPS with me and we will set it.

Treeocache2

Gary aren't you providing too much info for the potential searchers? I assumed that if they are really reinterested the coordinates should be all they need to get. How to reach it and the techniques to use are up to them. I hope they do not deside to cut a branch or something like that to get it.:)

Gary aren't you providing too much info for the potential searchers? I assumed that if they are really reinterested the coordinates should be all they need to get. How to reach it and the techniques to use are up to them. I hope they do not deside to cut a branch or something like that to get it.:)

I thought about it being too much info...but, I wanted the guys on this site to see how I put it up. It has already led to a possible way to install these without hurting the tree (counterweights).Re: cutting a limb...all the limbs involved are at least thigh size, some torso sized. They will have to be doing some very serious treework to cut those limbs. It is set up so you can simply pull some slack into the suspension line and open the cache...or lower it down to a groundie for them to process the cache.I may remove the link to this site to deny access to the pictures...it is still not approved yet...ends up my cache is 323 feet from a ground cache. I am trying to convince the reviewer that approves a new cache that "normal" people won't be able to access this cache...only abnormal ones like you find here. :P

I just found out my cache is 323 feet away from another ground cache...has to be min. 528 feet away (0.1 mile)

They won't approve it.:whine:

I will have to retrieve and restash.:D

This is more complicated than I thought.:?

'Til later.

APPROVED and active cache

It's OFFICIAL ... Treeocache 2 is APPROVED!!!

I restashed it yesterday and they approved it last night..hoorah!

If any of you local guys/gals want an excuse to climb a tree, here it is.

See if this will get you to the info...you may have to sign up at geocache.com to get the details.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f39d8a-b5b1-4b16-8520-bc1641c8551e

or input this waypoint GCXWFW on the
geocaching homepage (far right, about 30 lines down is a waypoint window.)

I'll post some pictures a bit later.

Sounds fun!

I wish I could play!

I already know where it is :D

so gary whats with these posts from august saying they got to it? i dont understand that. but waay cool, i have a gps and i think it will be fun to do some of these, thanks

so gary whats with these posts from august saying they got to it? i dont understand that. but waay cool, i have a gps and i think it will be fun to do some of these, thanks

Those posts about August were from NICK's very first in the world Treeocache. Some folks have found his. My treeocache is at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f39d8a-b5b1-4b16-8520-bc1641c8551e

It has been fun studying trees to decide where would be a good spot to place a cache...it's also been a good way to practice using the GPS. There is some kind of an "averaging" process you can use with waypoints to really nail down a location. I am starting to study that process now...I think my GPS does it automatically, I just have to figure out which combination of buttons to push.

Give it a shot...I'm hoping some other folks in the Atlanta are will set some up so I can try to find theirs.

How about a sextant, a good chronometer and some star charts?

Timing sex while comet watching??? What???

Here's a few picts...not much to see really. Look to the right of the rope saver and you can see the cannister hanging. And look at the tippytop of the second picture and you can just make it out. Now, somebody go get it.

And set up some of your own.

gary that link isnt working. earlier i put in your numbers and your tree showed up with those other comments at the bottom of the page i think

Try it now...I think there was something wrong in the link...seems to work now (it didn't work for me a minute ago when I checked it either).

Back