TreeoCache

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Last 2 picts...it was a beautiful day here, mild temp, sunny with a great excuse to get up in a tree.

Nick, did you ever set up your Treeocaches?

Cool. That guy looks funny. The little plastic yellow thing looks funny, too!

:)

I need to go reset some treeocaches. I have 2 to hang. Maybe tomorrow?

love
nick

I hung one up yesterday. I posted it on geocaching.com. I'll post the link after it get's reviewed.

Gary, did the geocaching reviewers question you about it being up in a tree?

love
nick

I was reading about how guys shift the locations of geocoches just to mess with people.

HAH! That's funny. I've found caches not quite where they said they were.

Where were you reading this? Gotta link? I wanna read!

love
nikc

NickfromWI;187030Gary said:
They did not initiate the question but it did arise. My first placement at a local park was about 50 feet up. I did not realize there was another geocache less than 528 feet away (they do not allow them closer that 0.1 miles to each other).

When the reviewer denied my first placement because of that rule I explained it was up in a tree and unless someone knew how to access it there was no conflict. He said they were preventing "cache saturation".

So, there you go....I learned to choose the tree first, get the lat/long, submit that location for approval and THEN climb the tree to place the cache.

Keep us posted, Nicko. 8)

Someone else finally got to TreeoCache2 again. The park where the cache is has been closed for about 2 years...bad flooding around here in 2009..very bad. Here is some of the log that the climbers posted. They did this one right:

It may be simpler to go to the Geocache site and read the original postings (click link below):

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f39d8a-b5b1-4b16-8520-bc1641c8551e

August 9 by pantheraba

CotonTop, Ab3, et al:

What an honor that y'all chose TreeoCache2 for your 5000th find. It sounds like you came from MS to try for this one. I applaud the effort you made to do this properly and safely...setting a second line as a possible rescue line if needed was an excellent idea...does not take long and may seem superfluous to many folks but if you needed it you were ready. Very cool that other folks got to make the climb, too.

I like that your daughter is involved in so many of these hunts with you. I did many activities like this with my kids as they grew up...Katie is now 28, Alex is 25...both are still active doing rock climbing, swimming, snorkeling, camping, etc...the stuff we did together when they were kids. You are giving Ab3 a great base of skill and experience to live with.

Thanks for the offer to visit in MS sometime. I am a part time arborist and notice you are a logger/farmer...we could have some good conversations, I am sure. Stay safe, all.

August 6 by cotontop3 (5000 found)

5,000 Very cool! This was my 5,000th cache! There were 3 of us who were looking for a good 5/5 cache for 2 5k's and a 9k milestone. Another cache we wanted to do wasn't going to have maintenance done by this weekend, so I contacted David to see if had any suggestions for another cache. He very quickly responded with 2 suggestions and thats when the planning started.

We decided on this cache for milestones and gc1dyej, gc2kw4f, gc1coh4, all of which are 5/5 caches for a total of 4 5/5 caches in one day, real 5/5's!

Me and annabananna3 (my 12 year old daughter) got to gz about 15 minutes early to find David already there. I looked the tree and cache over for a few minutes and grabbed all my stuff and got started on getting a line up. I think it was my 5th shot that the line gave me something I could live with. Got my climbing rope up and anchored and I was ready to start my ascent up.

I had to work around one limb that was in the way and fixed the rope I was on and put up a 2nd rope also, just in case I would end up having to go up and help someone else. After getting to the cache, I just hung there and messed with the cache. The container was full of water and all the contents were a mess. There was so much stuff inside the container, that I took a good bit of it out and just dropped it down for garbage. We replaced the log and dumped all the water out and back down the rope I came to let the others go up.

Yes Ab3 done it too, shes been climbing since she was 10 and a free hanging rope up into a tree is nothing for her to take on. In a matter of a just an hour and a half, 5 of us had made the climb to log the cache!

One thing that made this cache so appealing to me, was the fact that it had been since 2008 since it was found!

We got the other 3 5/5 caches and even got up Sunday morning to do one more 5/5, gc1xgj5. Then me and ab3 drove up to Lake Allatoona and unloaded our kayaks and grabbed 2 island caches! 5 5/5's in one weekend, YEE HAW baby!

What an awesome extreme weekend!!!! Thanks so much for placing this cache!

If you ever come to Mississippi, contact me, I have some climbing for you to do that I think you'd enjoy!

Cotontop3
Columbus, Ms

August 6 by David (16446 found)

10:00am #16419. This was our primary target for the day. Cotontop3 emailed me several days ago asking about milestone suggestions for a “real” 5/5 cache. I messed around with the data and came up with this one and an alternate. So, he and I, ab3, Smarky, Oldboyhiker, and Giber54 planned the trip and met at the tree this morning to give it a go using Cotontop3’s gear and expertise. We had a blast climbing and took lots of pictures. The contents were wet after nearly 3 years up there alone, so we replaced the log. Of course everyone was so jazzed up after making the climb, we set out for the alternate too, and wound up doing 4 “real” 5/5’s before the day was done. I took nothing and left nothing. Thank you for placing and maintaining caches for us to enjoy.

View Log
David going up...
David going up...
David with cache in hand...
... and safely back on the ground.
The whole crew... more pictures to follow.

July 19 by pantheraba

You folks remember...just having the equipment is not everything. You have to be able to use it SAFELY. Don't borrow someone's equipment for tree or rock climbing and try for this...be sure you know the techniques to safely get to the cache.

It is good to see the interest in this Treeocache. I am looking forward to someone getting up close and personal to the cache to see how it is doing.

July 19 by Leafer54 (7459 found)

I, too, would be interested in going for this cache, but don't have the equipment to get it.

View Log
There are 35 additional logs. View them all

Back