TreeoCache

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just got in from a busy day so thanks for the heads up...that is cool that somebody already went to find it. Even cooler that he could see it but couldn't get to it. :evil:

Here is the post from the first person to find TreeoCache 2:

December 26 by Smiling in Acworth (2642 found)
Well.... I went by and found it but you know what I found? The cache strapped above the ground 25 feet with no access unless you are a squirrel. There is a tree service a few streets over. We could all go in and rent the truck??? I guess I can't show a find if I did not sign the log?

25 feet...I don't think so...at least 40. Now I get to wait and see if a climber tries to find it.

It's better than I thought...he THINKS he found it...here is an email I got from the "finder":

In a message dated 12/27/2006 5:27:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, sam***@***.net writes:

Yes, I say I found it... It is a white pulley up, out on a limb attached by a long white cable tie/strap about 25 to 30 ft high. I went by but there is no way I could do this. Not sure who will be able too.

Sam
Ha, that pulley got you, too. The cache is really about 20 feet above that pulley, in a black plastic cylindrical canister. I have NO idea what that pulley is all about...as I climbed up to set my cache I saw the pulley...quite a surprise to me. I assume it was for running some wire at some point. But it is not very strong so I don't know.

I didn't take my camera in the tree when I hung the cache...I may go back and get a picture of that pulley to see if some of my "tree buddies" know what it is for.

I am following the lead of a friend from Wisconsin who established the first TreeoCache earlier this year. Mine is the second official (TreeoCache). We are trying to generate interest in treeclimbers...it is going to take special equipment to get to the cache.

Congrats on all your other cache finds. If you go back to see this one just look about 20 feet above that pulley.

Take care. Gary

NO good deed goes unpunished

Now I finally believe...I think this guy must be a kindred spirit with other dunderheaded conspiracy theorists. Here is a post on my Treeocache2 log...where folks that actually find the cache are supposed to post:

January 21 by Tweedledum & Tweedledee (885 found)
I sure hope this cache isn't for commercial purposes. I know, this cache isn't located at a business but if you read the description for the cache very carefully you will see it:

"I expect the finder to have a pre-existing knowledge of tree climbing techniques that are safe for the climber AND the tree. For more info, see www.treeclimbing.com"

Yep there it is, it's subtle I know, so I'll explain. I think that there is a lot of Geocachers that would do just about anything to find an interesting cache, even follow that link to the find out about tree climbing lessons, that cost in the hundreds of dollars.

Another reason this is fishy is that this is the only cache that this user has published and has no finds. Kinda like someone that found out about geocaching and how it could be beneficial to them and made just one cache just for that reason.

This is all just speculatory, and if I'm wrong feel free to delete this post. I just thought it should be mentioned.

:O :O :cry:

This was my reply:

January 21 by pantheraba (0 found)
Whoaaaa, Dee and Dum, go easy on the conspiracy theory.

Nothing commercial here, just a guy that wanted to provide a challenge to folks that like this kind of challenge. I started climbing trees with ropes and gear back in the 70's...worked my way thru college as a tree cutter/climber/pruner, etc.

It is still a part-time thing and I climb recreationally a good bit. It is good exercise, a physical and mental challenge. I also use a GPS as a ScoutMaster, hiker, camper, rockclimber, disaster relief worker, etc.

I have a tree climbing buddy that inspired me to make this cache..he established TreeoCache 1 (first in the world we know of) and we hope to get a series of them going.

Read here about numero uno:

GCYF90

It is a chance to combine tree climbing skills with navigational skills. I am pretty confident I can find regular geocaches out there if I take the time. Since life is pretty busy, I focus on a limited number of tasks.

The reference in the description to treeclimbing.com is because I don't want "Bubba" to get a piece of rope, throw it over the limb (if they could get it that high) and have "BillyBob" just hoist him up. I only want people that know what they are doing to try for the cache...the website referenced teaches folks how to do that. I am not connected to them, they just provide a great service to folks that are interested on getting OFF the ground.

Thanks for trying to foresee that this might be some kind of clever ruse...sorry, I am not that clever.

Have fun out there.

Why does life have to be so complicated????

You can borrow a phrase from Mike Maas' signature line and tell them "Stupidity is not a crime, you are free to go".
:lol:

You can borrow a phrase from Mike Maas' signature line and tell them "Stupidity is not a crime, you are free to go".
:lol:

Hahaha...I'm waiting to see if this chowderhead comes back with anything. That line will be great if he does.:evil:

It has taken 7 months (!) for someone to be able to get to my Treeocache2...I set it last Christmas and somebody finally got to it. They said the put some GA gold in the cache for the next person to find. I'm not sure why it took them 3 hours to get to it but it sounds like they had a great time working it out.

I think you will have to sign up to be able to view the info and pictures on the site:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=f4f39d8a-b5b1-4b16-8520-bc1641c8551e

Or you can read their posts here...I copied them from the official Geocache site:

July 21 by Smiling in Acworth (4309 found)
There should be something else to start the log off with... BUT WHAT A DAY!!!
I was the last to arrive but what a site when I got there and saw N&H on the first limb, that limb is 30ft plus from the ground. It was great to watch, listen and help a little two PRO's at work.
I was last to sign since I was the last to arrive so there is a smiley on top waiting for the next CRAZY CACHER to climb it. Thanks for the great day. They started at 8:30 and we left at 2pm. Like I said WHAT A DAY!!! SL
[view this log on a separate page]

July 21 by nuggs-n-huggs (112 found)
This was a day I will never forget. Certainly this cache has been my most difficult so far. I would not been able to pull this off without the support of my ground crew and long time rock climbing partner Ron, and his daughter Amanda. My ground crew consisted of Smiling in Acworth, Decisive Twins, and Shadow Lang. I cant tell ya'll how much I appreciate your help, and willingness to be part of the moment. This adventure has definatly made me re-think what I am, and am not, capable of doing. Now on to the details.

We arrived at 8:30 am to an empty parking lot and a baeutiful day. We then unloaded the gear, laid out a tarp, and started to formulate the game plan. It took awhile to set the first rope. Not exactly where I wanted to be, but good consitering the leaves and branches in the way. I ascended the first rope, then situated myself in a good stance on a large limb. Not so easy, it has been awhile since I have done this. After I rested a minute, I went on to setting two more ropes that would get me over to the cache. Finally after 3 hours, I had It in hand! What a feeling of accomplishment. I then rappeled down with the cache for me and all the crew to sign. I placed some Georgia gold and aquamarine gemstones in the cache and then Ron climbed the rope back up to replace the container, which is in very good shape. After Ron got his workout, and returned safely to the ground, we all hugged and took victory photos. Soon as the ropes were coiled and gear packed up, we all said our goodbuys and Ron, Amanda and I went for some beer and steak dinner. Thanks very much for placing this cache. I encourage anyone with the skills and fortitude to go for this one, as it will always be a favorite of mine. Thanks to Amanda and Smiling in Acworth for taking these great photos.

[This entry was edited by nuggs-n-huggs on Saturday, July 21, 2007 at 6:04:11 PM.]

That's pretty wild Gary!

Is it near your house or in south GA?

Near the house...maybe 5 miles away. Any of you guys would have gotten it within 30 minutes...some of you probably five!!

It'll be interesting to see who tries for it next.

How cool that something we would see as a minor inconvenience (a goal up in a tree) became almost a full day adventure for non-tree climbers!

Cool! I have 2 more tree-o-caches waiting to be hung here in LA...

love
nick

Back in the 70's there was a Canadian liquer company that stashed cases of their product in remote places and ran ads in several magazines tempting people to go out and find their stash. The clues run like a treasue hunt. Can anybody remember what company that was?

I felt like contacting them to stash a case of their booze in top of the Ralph Sterns tree and run some clues. Now that would be a good hunt.

Bumping my own thread...I went up and checked my Treeocache 2 today. It still looks fine...no evidence of squirrels or water damage.

I carefully opened it and found where they only person that has been able to get to it left a little prize in it...a yellow happy-face gumby or something.

Back