TreeHog

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
osage here is spread by seed (cows, critters)...if you cut it and leave a hint of green anywhere...it will live.

Hedge will sprout from roots some, but nothing like Locust will. As Che said, untreated stumps come back with a vengance. Squirrels love hedge seeds and cows will eat them sometimes. That is why you get rid of the females first. In Che's case, they have been cut and not treated, now they are a royal pain, best plan now would be spray in the spring and kill the clumps then cut or mow down with the brush hog. Problem is that when you mow the smaller ones is that the stubs can puncture a tractor tire. Cutting the larger ones and shearing or clipping the smaller ones would be best.

I know the power co. uses Banvel and something else I can't remember for treating cut stumps. It's funny the Osage around here doesn't seem to spread. There are a couple rows of it I have been watching. The one side of the row is a brushy field nothing has been done with for 20 years and I only found a couple trees that had popped up. Our soil is a silt clay loam. Too heavy for it maybe. Mulberry pops up all over the place.

I do like this device...
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLXbko-8qWg?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aLXbko-8qWg?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

The obvious flaw is that it's only good for stuff small enough and soft enough to drive over with the tractor.

Flaw...? Its designed for use in short rotation coppice and scrub. Besides, that 350hp tractor will push over a lot of tree. did you see the 40ft trees it ran over and collected?

how bout some of these?
goats.jpg

I got some and they are murderous on every thing I don't want them to eat.
They are also good at eating things I do want 'em to eat too. I have 7 now and have had as many as 25ish.
They'd eat the foliage and strip every bit of bark off the tree that they could reach.

Fit 'em for a saddle and they'd prolly climb even higher.:lol:

I cut thousands and thousands of osage orange fence posts as a teenager .I don't however recall them spreading much out of the hedge rows too far .Locust however will take over given enough time .

With the mention of mulberry though ,I have a large pile of top soil left over when I built my shop .The birds were kind enough to plant it nicely with a fine crop of mulberries .

A pile of dirt I have sprouted a bunch of black locust. We don't have a lot of it around here. I actually planted some 25 years ago. Got a couple little groves started from root suckering. They sure smell good in blossom. Better than the best perfume.

I am just going to post this pic for the heck of it. Might work might not because I don't know how bad Che's brush problem is as far stem dia., density, and height of the Osage and all the factors that go into clearing a patch of ground.

It is not the mower in the picture but the blade. I ordered one of these blades today for one of my Bachtold mowers that I am just about finished with which is basically the same thing in the pic only the one in the pic is a Roof mower.

I have a saw blade for my mower(s) but I like this one over my present one. The blade I ordered today is 20 dia. with 22 carbide tipped teeth. Based on the description the I got from the manufactuer this is the blade I'll be getting. It looks like it will do a nice job as far as cutting small standing trees 4 to 6 inch dia. and standing brush over 2inch dia. On a somewhat small scale clearing project and without a big investment it might be the ticket .

Attachments

• !B3y9PSwBWk~$(KGrHqF,!iME)q7DRdgmBMnj5G)f6g~~_12.jpg
    !B3y9PSwBWk~$(KGrHqF,!iME)q7DRdgmBMnj5G)f6g~~_12.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 58
No! They actually spray large tracts of land with crop dusters, trying to reclaim the pastureland. If removing mature tree's cut the female tree's first, (the one's that have hedge balls/apples). And treat the stumps as soon as possible after cutting. If you do not treat or kill them, first, it will be a never-ending cycle.

WE have the same problem in a lot of areas here,but its with Brazilian pepper trees.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I was searching for another thread, about a crazy cow that joined our herd after the farmer (who's land we lease) died and no one could catch her. We've been trying to catch her for three years or so now. Today was THE day!

While searching, I saw this thread, thought I should comment that we just purchased the Tree Hog a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if it's good or bad news, but I won't be able to operate it as it is attached now to the Allis-Chalmers D17.....which I can't drive 'cuz my feet can't reach the pedals. :|: I'll comment here when we get some work done with it, though.

BTW...if anyone remembers me talking about that nasty cow, she is now at the stockyards awaiting sale tomorrow. It was a pretty dicey morning getting her into the trailer. She would've taken us both out if we weren't already aware of her behavior. Hoorayyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!! :D

Che Glad the cow cooperated so well. LOL My dad cut 2x6 blocks and bolted them to the pedals so I could drive his old JD tricycle Fwiw.

Back