Tree Surgery Job From Hell

chris_girard

Treehouser
Here's another one of those jobs where you can't wait to just finish it up.

Little grainy from being taken back in 2006, and no Arbor Trolley back then...as you'll see in Part 3.

94 (little) trees, 2 days work, dragged 300' around tight quarters. (Not my crew).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c19Z5qPaJ2s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Part 3, dragging the wood. Gotta love the 90 degree bend through the gate!

I may have posted these vids some years back, but I always like watching them. Shows what a working treeman will do to make a living.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xtkNdqsv_r0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And wear you out!!!

I completely agree with both those statements!

Especially after getting done yesterday helping my groundworker make over 100 trips up a backyard hill with wood and brush on the Arbor Trolley. We removed 4 Hemlocks and the owners had a manicured lawn. No access for crane or bucket truck and a mini skid steer or 4-wheeler would have torn the hell out of the turf.

Felt like I was working in an Old Time Russian Gulag camp, only I knew that there was an end in sight after 8 hrs. compared to those poor souls that perished in those camps.

I'm curious Chris if you have or regularly use a mini loader/skid of any sort? My wheeled mini skid generally makes less impact than doing the 100's of drags by foot that it can do in 10 or 15 trips. it's all in how it's operated, me with endless hours on the machine=no impact, anyone else I've had run it over the years=considerable impact.

On days like that I like to pretend that I'm in prison and it's my last day. All I have to do is get through it...

:|:

Hmm, I'll have to try that, lol.

I agree, Squish, 99.5% of the time there is never a need for 100 human powered trips. And if there were it should be priced to the moon.

That's when there are stairs and no tall trees to rig with.

Would mats have protected the lawn enough?

I'm curious Chris if you have or regularly use a mini loader/skid of any sort? My wheeled mini skid generally makes less impact than doing the 100's of drags by foot that it can do in 10 or 15 trips. it's all in how it's operated, me with endless hours on the machine=no impact, anyone else I've had run it over the years=considerable impact.

No I don't have a mini loader/skid of any sort. I usually sub the hauling, sometimes though I have to do it all with the Arbo Trolley.

On days like that I like to pretend that I'm in prison and it's my last day. All I have to do is get through it...

:|:

another good one to pretend to be is Jesus Christ carrying the cross to his crucifixion.

We dont work with a huge amount of conifers here but it seems theres a massive friction factor in dragging plus cob (hard to shoulder carry a long piece). I'd be using barrows on that job for sure,nice and flat at least.

We were talking about Blair Glenn in another thread, here is another vid of his on another tricky tree. He seems to be on FB and (lol) AS.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OZeiF3strh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And wear you out!!!

back in the day they would get us in shape.. now we are so far out that there is no coming back without a serious effort... much more than most would be willing to make..

thank God for bucket trucks, skid loaders, and monster chippers... I did a 2500 job in 3.5 hours today with 2 green groundies and 1 experienced man on ropes and skid steer... Brush chipped, wood stacked on street for P/U tomorrow morning, yard raked, check in pocket.... the old lowballer competititor around here, (ricks) put 4200 on the tree and was going to use a 50 T crane over the house.... one of those days where everything went extra easy and smooth...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6csrjUssmaI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We were talking about Blair Glenn in another thread, here is another vid of his on another tricky tree. He seems to be on FB and (lol) AS.

I've seen this vid before Cory and I was surprised when the piece hit the roof. If the crane op was as good as Blair said, then he should have known that it wasn't butt heavy, or even balanced. They got really lucky. Tough job for sure. I heard the owner ended up taking the whole tree down.

Back