Tree Machine's Shotline Winder

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 237
  • Views 27K
K

Koa Man

Ok, as I promised in Tree Machine email thread, I have pictures of his winder upper for the throwball. He gave it to me at the last Columbus TCI Expo, while he was still recovering from that horrific stump grinder accident. I have been using a throwball quite a bit more, previously I hated to stuff the line back in the bag. This one makes rewinding the line very easy. It is currently loaded with 180 ft. of Zing It.

So will it deploy off the spool without having to unwind it?

That is pretty slick, I like much better than the fishing reel thing everyone suggests I use to rewind a throwline. I also hate stuffing throwline. I use a big food container with a lid. It was great when I got it, but plastic breaks with age. Storage is a problem in the truck along with all the other junk I think I have to carry around with me to do a job.

This idea looks good to me as I am rethinking of ways to store throwline and at the same time save space. TM 's thing looks like it has a big enough diameter as to not cause backlashes in the line and would spool off the reel smoothly when throwing and be able to wind the line up quick when done with it.

One of the guys in our Ill. Arborist Chapter who is a contender in the state climbing competion has something that funtions similar but isn't the same if you know what I mean. If you have ever been to a Mexican restarant and ordered tacos that come in a container with a lid to keep them hot is what he uses. Almost the same diameter as TM 's winder but instead of winding the line he spools the line around the inside of the container, then he just put the lid on and stowed it in his duffle bag he uses for climbing. Works for him as I watched put his gear away after the Masters Challenge, his method looked to be quick and easy. I don't know what line he was using and I am sure the line had a memory to it as it just looked a little too easy.

I like TM's winder, can you buy this somewhere? I am not into kiting. I could make something that is similar but I have other things to do. Just easier to go out and buy something to save time and some fooling around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It deploys perfectly off the spool. I have never ever had it get hung up. I think he told me he made it. He had 2 and gave 1 to me. Where he got the parts to make it, you would need to ask him. I do have his cell number, but I would have to check with him first before I give it to anyone.

Stuffing line back into a bag was the one reason I did not like to use throw balls unless I absolutely had to. I would toss my rope over a lower crotch and work my way up. I use throw balls way more now. He gave it to me a couple of years ago, but it has just been 3 months since I got it out of storage and started using it.

Hands down tree machine is the most innovative and advanced climber Ive ever seen on the internet!

OK.........well it does deploy good? any vids of it in action?

Like I mentioned earlier, it deploys perfectly with no hangups. I don't have a regular video camera, but maybe I could video it with my phone and send it to you that way.

I just got an email from Tree Machine.

Hey,

I dropped into the treehouse, saw that Koa posted about my
linewinder. I couldn't password in.

Reply for me. Tell em you've summoned me in and that I'll drop in
and answer questions, mebbe tomorrow.

Thanks TM

Hurry your ass up, Jim! :P

I just got an email from Tree Machine.

Hey,

I dropped into the treehouse, saw that Koa posted about my
linewinder. I couldn't password in.

Reply for me. Tell em you've summoned me in and that I'll drop in
and answer questions, mebbe tomorrow.

Thanks TM

Hurry your ass up, Jim! :P

Jim is no longer a member, he needs to re-register.

This should get his attention...;)

Hey Jim... look!

Only available in Canada...unless your going to the 2008 TCIA EXPO in WI .:D

Bob (aka-Hobby Climber)

What's a Faltemier? Not familiar with that term.

BTW Carl, did you check out the cell phone ringtones thread? I posted a ringtone that would be perfect for you.

Ha lemme find that thread.

The Faltemier is that box of throwline I had that folded down to a neat triangle/folded flag shaped object.

Open box, throw line, repack line as you are pulling the rope up, get to work. Works just as well in the forrest or other twiggy environment, the throwline rarely touches the ground to get fouled up.

Back