Tree Machine's Shotline Winder

• Thread starter Koa Man
  • Start date
  • Replies 237
  • Views 27K
Na, didn't bring it. Showed me at the show though. And I got tired one day sticking my hand into that tiny ass bag. It'll be here wends.

It's fairly rare, at least compared to stuffing it in a line mug.

Keep the twigs, leaves, and anything but the throwline and bags out of the cube and you should have dandy luck.

Two days ago, after several throws that day setting lines in trees to pull the tops out, I had a couple throws that used all 180' of line. It all played out without issue.

What do you guys think of a smaller "modified" version of this???

HC

I would like to see TM's line-real system in action though, I like the concept!

seems like the WIDE opening and the collapsable bag seem to be impotent for the tree dudes.

As mentioned before, I've had great luck using a 3.5 gallon bucket. It's the same as a standard 5 gallon bucket but shorter. My Big Shot head also fits in it, so the rubbers are protected. The bucket doesn't take up much more room than the Big Shot head alone, so it really doesn't require a lot of additional space.

seems like the WIDE opening and the collapsable bag seem to be impotent for the tree dudes.

Speak for yourself.:P

The F-cube is most excellent. You will be very pleased with yours Brandon. The three gallon bucket is also extremely functional, but can lack a bit in the portability department if you have to hike your gear anywhere.

I aint a tree dude..... just a landscraper that occasionally gets to play in trees. :P

Oops, sorry Brendon.

And yes HK is going well, thanks. Sister is coming to visit tomorrow and we'll take a trip into mainland China for a few days. It should be fun.

My Cantonese is nonexistant, but my Mandarin is a tiny bit better which isn't saying much at all.

Carl, the Chinese girl friend is no more. Time for a new one.

Hobby, my experience with a small bag for a throwline is if gets turned upside down or gets disturbed somehow from say a bonehead groundie the line tangles really bad when you go to use it. I tried one of those small bags from Sherrill when they first came out what a waste of money. This is when I switched to a plastic bucket or big food container in my case with a lid, no problems.

I am not saying it wouldn't work mind you. If you can make one stiff enough to stand upright and wide enough but still be able to fold down tight and lash it somehow to hold the line in place you might have something then.

Brian's bucket sounds good, Fran"s doggie bag looks promising. I am sure he wouldn't post it if he didn't think it was good. TM's idea has potential but to me could be refined a little for multiple throwball storage like the buckets or the f-cube have to offer.

The f-cube just isn't me because I don't do enough throwline type stuff for it to be that much use.

another great think about the f-cube is that you can bring it aloft if need be. It can be clipped to a saddle opened or closed.

For in-the-tree throwing I use a fly fishing reel. Holds about 50 feet of the smaller dia. zing it.

Do you have a picture of that reel setup Frans? I don't know anything about fishing so I don't know the difference between a fly fishing reel and any other kind of reel, or why one would work better than another for this application.

yes, but I am off to work real soon. Later I will post.

Gerry has some pix of his as well.

Leon, I didn't have a pic of one of mine handy so I nicked one off ebay. This is Old technpology that has mostly fallen out of favor. A couple of companies make automatic reels still but the ones made 50 years ago are actually better. The principle is simple-A long recoil spring is housed in one side and transfers torque to the line spool via gearing so that you get multiple turns of line for each turn applied to the spring. The spring gets loaded as you pull line out and a dog/pawl or friction clutch capture the "progress". When you depress a lever on the front of the reel the line is wound back in. Most allow 40 feet or so to be pulled out and retracted in one winding but there are knurled rings on the outside of the reel.-One will disengage the tension on the spring without rewinding the line and the other allows you to tension the spring without affecting the line. Thus, if you store a 90 foot fly line and 50 feet of backing on the spool you can deal with all of it. Charley wagner showed up at the Masters 3 years ago with a modified steel tape case filled with throwline-I told him he needed an automatic flyreel. Tom Dunlap seconded that and incorporated it in his kit bag. I notice that Nick is using the idea also. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Frans came up with the idea on his own.Gerry Beranek has mentioned it too. It is pretty slick.
http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/cc/54/ad87_2.JPG

If you need one I can probably fix you up- I've restored a lot of them.

Justin, could the same idea be applied to a Spencer logger's tape? A large one, designed for 75 or 100 foot tapes might have useable capacity, and the recoil spring is pretty strong. It might be somewhat heavier than the fly reel, but readily available. Most of the weight in a Spencer is the tape, anyway.

Edit: Doh, I see you mentioned that possibility already...

Burnham, Sure. The advantage of the fly reel thouggh is that it automatically prevents rewind until triggered so you can pull off line for your throw, do your thing then trigger the rewind when desired.

Back