Tree Height

• Thread starter Ace76
  • Start date
  • Replies 35
  • Views 4K
Over thirty years now, and I've never had to worry about a tree's height.

Determining tree height lets me know if a bucket or crane can get to where you need it. Otherwise it will have to be climbed and rigged out until the crane and bucket can take over. That would greatly affect my bid.

As a contract climber you get paid your rate whatever happens, even if the company you are working for badly underbid, it would not affect you. If I was in your position, I would not care about tree height either.

This can be done to see / make sure felling tree will fit inside 'box'/clear zone; or have to be climbed. Also, you can do 2x or more, and figure where you could top stick to get it to still fit inside box, and how far you have to top down to drop stick into box on final felling

Kenny,

That IS a great technique. I used your method today and came up with a height of 34 feet (had to do 4" = 10', yard was too small). When I dropped the spar it was 33 feet. Thanks for the technique.

Gary,
How high off the ground did you cut the stump and did you add that to the length? If you made your final cut 1 foot above ground and did not add that in, your measurement would be perfect.

Gary,
How high off the ground did you cut the stump and did you add that to the length? If you made your final cut 1 foot above ground and did not add that in, your measurement would be perfect.

Probably about 2 feet...I'll check my picture later..I took a stump shot to review.

I will confess that when I used Kenny's trick to come up with 34 feet that I then paced off 11 steps...33 feet for me...and put 3 sticks in a row at that point. When the spar fell it was almost exactly even with those 3 sticks (about 2 inches off)...I was impressed.

I'll also confess that I did not measure the spar once it was on the ground...I had hoped to just leave it for the owner (my niece's husband) to deal with...then I found out he had never used a chainsaw. So, I spent time working with him using my small saw so I could use the 650 to saw up the spar. I forgot to measure it after all that. It wasn't as scientific as I had intended but it was impressive.

I guess I cut it more like one foot up...here are some picts. Last one shows the 3 sticks I put where I estimated the top of the spar would be...33 feet from the base where I cut it about one foot above ground. Original estimate of height with Spidey's method was 34 feet.

Attachments

• IMG_9093 (2).JPG
    IMG_9093 (2).JPG
    470 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9105 (1).JPG
    IMG_9105 (1).JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9105 (2).JPG
    IMG_9105 (2).JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 24
Back