Tree felling vids

I sure hope not. That guy was showing nerves of steel there. He didn't look to young? Think he was showing off for the camera?

Seen that a couple times now. That dude is awesome. He should be a member here....he'd fit right in, naturally:)

Haha. That vid is just crazy. The guy has balls the size of watermelons and a helluva lot of skill to boot. And as they used to say when I worked out west, he's got muscles in his shit.

I'm a big barefoot hiker etc, and I've done a bit of barefoot tree climbing with rope and saddle. You feel like you are going to get hurt every second you are in the tree:/:

Bare feet rawk in the many situations, but they also give you hella appreciation of footwear.

What cracks me up, and strikes me as somewhat wrong is that I know whitey was up there in the tree all decked out with every newfangled climbing contraption there was at the time and hovering all around the dude to properly exploit his dire survival tactics. All the while little munchkins running around underneath with no hardhats while he climbs with an axe cradled on his shoulder. And all for the enjoyment of us modern Romans crowded on couches in the coliseum of cable TV.

Live to Inspire

A lot of peeps in the comments on you tube, iirc, said the same thing, that it was wrong to be hanging out safe and sound on modern climbing gear while this guy was risking his life using dangerous ancient techniques.

Hey, I did say that it cracked me up and that it was only SOMEWHAT wrong. I just enjoy the irony of the photographers all nice and snug in their state-of-the-art gear while they watch this guy free climb for food to entertain people who forget that there's camermen up there.

Live to Inspire

I saw that show a couple of years ago, and it was a bit ironic like most documentaries. http://humanplanet.com/timothyallen/2011/02/bayaka-honey-gatherer/

Bayaka_Timothy-Allen_008.jpg

It was a great series, In the same programme some amazonians constructed a treehouse about 100 ft up. Even though they don't live in them anymore.
Anyway, that guy, makes us look like pussies.

Derek, here's how to embed videos, unless it's a phone thang orrrrr something...

1) Do NOT copy/paste the page url.
2) Click the "share" button - a embed button will appear underneath/to the left.
3) Scroll down and click the "embed" button - a blue highlighted address will appear.
4) Copy/paste THAT address in your post.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gMV_HjpPR9U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Memorial Day weekend wreck.....

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4WtY52n02nA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good job. That's a lot of tree to kick out solo.

Ever tried rigging with a porta wrap in a tree on fig 8? Letting those tops run a little would be a lot. More comfortable

Randy, that video was a touch riskier then what you usually share. Hanging that big top solo was ballsy. Be cautious with intentionally barberchairing limbs like that. That's going to hurt you. You don't want to chance spitting your saw back at you. The other risk that runs high is the limb peeling down the tree to your lanyard. Even tied in, you don't want to end up being part of the confict between tearing wood and rope. Maybe fiddle with some hinge depths to get that same result you are after. My intention is not to cut down your work. I think you do a fine job. I just had a few things pop out at me that I would hate to not pass on my opinion and hear of you getting injured or worse. Plus, my own work isn't perfect. So don't take me as critical. More so suggestive. otherwise, another tree bites the dust! Keep on keeping on. Are in in rural NH or more urban. I love NH and am considering heading there in 5 years. There or Maine.

hey mate, nice job and good on ya for going hard .
I agree with pete on the rigging bro, although it all worked ,stuff like that can be a little dicey with unknown forces etc.
personally i go a little smaller and a little further out on the limbs for ripcuts (species dependant) but this one looked like it tended well to them just a friendly observation NHLocal:D climb safe mate

Back