Tree felling vids

Sawed too much hinge away. No mistake bites you until you take away enough hinge to get it all in motion.

NOW, I have no idea which mistake he made prior to sawing out too much hinge. It just cant be determined in that video. Wind, hinge tapered wrong way, wedges breaking hinge fiber, etc etc. Who really knows without being there?

I do believe it was a rookie situation. As a professional, we are still prone to make mistakes, usually ones that only we realize were even made. However, the occassional gutter may get bent or wire.might get torn down. BUT, to loose a tree altogether the wrong way without even being able to say that you did what you could to prevent that, is rookie. Every tree is a gamble. Every one. Somewhere in the mechanics of every tree, there's a way to fail. Think about it. It's true. But to lose a tree like that guy did tells me that he faiked to recognize the factors that favored failure.

Jay: Lol on the bring some wood in joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stig: That was my thought too. Being a rookie faller, and working with other residential arborists who--if you can believe it--have even less of a clue than I do, suffice it to say that I have seen some absolutely hideous mistakes. One thing that I'll see guys do time and time again, is make such a high back-cut, that the severed corner (whether through the presence of internal knots or twisted grain) will somehow--I have seen a few examples that have blown my mind--almost magically retain enough strength to apparently preserve that corner. All up untill the tree gets moving. Then, of course, the corner pops--as when we intentionally make a "stagger cut" to break a small chunk off with our hands--and the tree hits the house.

Burnham: I know, I know.... I cld've said that in five words like you did. Perhaps Jay and I suffer from the same ailment. :)

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cO00lMK7vKI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you look carefully you'll see they only break out the case of bud AFTER the tree is down... that's 1st class service in VA... :)

Skip ahead to a minute and a half to skip the boring stuff you can't see anyway

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Nd0Q_lpacA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back