Tree felling vids

I think I am a bit your junior, just 27. I dont claim to have loads of experience I have been climbing in a professional capacity for about 5 years and working with trees for just 3.

I was lucky to have a strong climbing and rigging skillset, acclimation with tree work was mostly focused on the wood physics (hinges, strength, bucking and binding) and chainsaw use; the ropes came easy.

Doesn't always matter how long you've been at it. It matters what you've picked up along the way. I know guys that have been at this gig for decades and still down know squat.

Yet another reminder of how dangerous our chosen profession can be. We get immune to the risks after dealing with them every day for so long, but the fact is we move very large and heavy objects dozens of times per day and every one of them has the capability of killing somebody. Many times I get so wrapped up in setting up my cut so I can fit the piece into the landing zone or land a certain way that I forget it weighs a couple thousand pounds. I did it again today trying to push the butt of a small tree I was felling, luckily it only bruised me.

I don't know what to say about the poor guy in the video. Makes me feel slightly ill. :(

I think with tree work that being overly cautious is a smart way to operate. There are the unforeseen variables. It adds some time to the equation, but that's living.

This is Dangerous work, no doubt, and anybody doing it shall never forget that fact. Thanks for posting.

I like having a dedicated groundie. He manages the DZ, always knows what the next move is, is right on top of the rope work, so I never have to wait, and is an extra pair of eyes keeping me informed of anything that I miss in the tree.. My groundie would have never let me make that cut with my line fouled by that stub... kinda like having your Mom on the job at all times, keeping an eye on you... That was quite a fall and very generous of him to post it to youtube. he broke his tailbone and was a little cut up.. Glad he made it... it would have been ugly if the log fell on top of his arm...

Anyway, i think having a dedicated groundie should be put into the ansi safety standards, as a "should", meaning if possible.. The climber has to be fast enough to keep him busy and the rest of the crew has to be fast enough to process the material without needing his help, for the operation to "flow"... And when I work the ground for a fast climber like Pat or Big John, I never walk away from the porty... learned my lesson on that a few years ago, when I did, ... the temporary groundie took 3 wraps and the piece swung right back at the climber... who managed to throw his chest and arms back out of the way (barely)... very nice evasion.. he then proceeded to throw a nice 200t from about 70', which landed flat on turf, unharmed... WE TOOK AN EARLY LUNCH

istock_000007776660xsmall-youre_fired.jpeg

Back