Tree felling vids

18 minutes? Good thing you werent billing by the hour. The second tie in wouldnt have added that much time but all around an excellent video. I like the the whole start to finish aspect. I will show this to Meg and some friends, it is a good 'this is what we do' video.

That's a very impressive video... It looks like just another "man cuts branch, branch falls to ground" video.. BUT the efficiency of movement, fine points of the cuts etc are what make the difference between a good climber and a great climber... There's a lot to learn from that vid if people are paying attention..

18 minutes? Good thing you werent billing by the hour. The second tie in wouldnt have added that much time but all around an excellent video. I like the the whole start to finish aspect. I will show this to Meg and some friends, it is a good 'this is what we do' video.

I can't remember if I charged $50 or $100 for that tree, Nick, but yeah, hourly wouldn't have been so good. I took down 3 trees for him that day. The first was a sweet gum that had some roping in it, nothing serious though. Then I did the pine. The last was a red oak with several big limbs out over the concrete drive that I had to rope down to avoid cracking the concrete.

Love the chipmunk saw!

Those were my pre-200T days. I had the little 192 good and sharp. Carl told me a 200T would make a difference in the time spent in a tree....it does cut SO much faster...

I need a better cam and not move about so much... But.. here ya go ... barber pole it with a hand saw, reduce it to flop under the surrounding canopy. Enjoy or trash it.. lol

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xv322n4qHfo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looked pretty good to me, Stephen. What kind of camera do you have? THere are times I wish I had gone with a GoPro, because the VIO's cable and camera unit necessitate the wearing of a backpack, and in the current heat, it ain't happening! It is amazing how much you move your head without thinking about it. You wear a helmet cam and think.....wow, have I got the nervous jerks or what? :lol: I've learned to stay focused on pieces when they go over, so the camera gets it all.

Now I've gotta figure out how to put in some music, and manipulate the audio. I've got a few good clips where somebody yells right in the middle of it or somesuch.

I put the VIO in a plastic zippered sack and hung it from my belt, then routed the cable to the back of my helmet where it gets attached there with a little tie through some small holes I drilled in it. It works ok.

Scott, mac or PC.. what are you using to edit now?

Mac at present, Nick. I'm going to get my HP revamped and use it just for video/photo editing.

I put the VIO in a plastic zippered sack and hung it from my belt, then routed the cable to the back of my helmet where it gets attached there with a little tie through some small holes I drilled in it. It works ok.

I've thought of something similar, Jay, but the backpack seems the simplest. It's just hot this time of year.

Here's a declining poplar I took down last year in Tuscaloosa. It was roughly 85' tall, with a slight lean toward the house, with a fence and group of little trees under it that the owner did not want damaged. To make matters worse, it was at the top of a slight rise, with an underground service transformer box almost directly downhill from it, with made it impossible to drop anything but the smallest pieces. This isn't near all the job, but it's some of the highlights. I used the medium porty up top to lower the chunks as they slid down the speedline.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/L78bjhv6AIo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I first used a backpack, Scott, but that problem I mentioned about not knowing if it was recording or not because I couldn't hear the beep, it prompted to have the unit where I could see it easier, hence attached to my belt. I agree, the pack is better if I could get around the problem.

I just let them fly most of the time, too. In this instance, there was the transformer box, a mailbox, another utility fixture, a sidewalk and delicate turf all downhill of the tree on a slope. The tagline allowed each piece to be landed gently and precisely, pretty much in one pile, oriented toward the street. I wasn't cleaning up, so I didn't want debris scattered all over the street. My daughter was having to stand across the street with the speedline wrapped on a porty that was hooked to the truck in order to get enough angle outward to get the pieces to the street. If they'd been allowed to fly out, it would have been impossible to keep them in the desired area, and even if they landed close to right, they'd have shattered and made a horrific mess.

I tried to speed line a rack of coconuts once...as soon as the load hit the speed line all the coconuts shot off the rack like canon balls. Never again!

I tried to speed line a rack of coconuts once...as soon as the load hit the speed line all the coconuts shot off the rack like canon balls. Never again!
I can see that !:lol:
It's embarrassing, but that's a good way to avoid the bystanders coming too close:evil:
Did those cannon balls caused some damages ?

Back