Tree felling vids

Shiteroo...that had to hurt.

I recall Mr. D. D. Dent emphasizing the importance of clearing your escape path in the proper direction, and then using it as fast as you could. I believe I have it right, that his advice was pretty close to this..."take 5 minutes now, and you might well save yourself 50 years in a wheelchair...do you think that might be worth it?"

Looked like it pulled sideways on one corner, perhaps it was one of Daniels special tapered hinges. He is going to be sore after that
A perfect example of the level of stupidity of my critics here at the house. Did you bother taking a close look at the video before dragging my name into it?
No one other than Jed bothered to mention what actually happened to cause that limb to come down on the cutter.

IT DIDN"T "pull sideways".... idiotic interpretation...
the log he was cutting made a direct hit on the tree in the lay, ripped a big piece of bark off, and sprung the impacted tree forward HARD!, then on the recoil, a large limb got thrown backward 180 degrees to the lay.

Yeah, I saw it like that (Fallen limb/top from tree hit hard by trunk)

As Pantheraba pointed out, why was he 6ft off the ground?

He may have been trying to shorten up the fall to not hit the other tree, but miscalculated. It's tough to tell if there was a LZ to the right, but you could never be sure from video may have been an obstacle

To me it looked like he guy had a dutchman. From what I see is that the log committed but shot left as it went over. And from a guess that was the top of the hit tree. A real bad place to be IMO.

A place for a springboard to jump down and run from.

Looked like he was stunned he got the other tree, and didn't bother to look.

Gary, being up there, here was in much narrower wood.

Good answer, Sean...thanks. I did wonder why he wasn't on springboards....having seen some of you guys use them it looked like a good place for it. Seeing this video I understand better what their value is. He was stuck in that spot, no mobility at all.

Falling a tree like that, particularly if he's the guy that removed all the top of it, he has to have a lot of experience I'd say. So to get killed like that, well it just shows' you shit's dangereuse

I agree...that idea of a far tree getting struck and catapulting a big limb or top 180 to the lay (with a trajectory, not just a widowmaker) is mind boggling. I know to watch for fallers from overhead but I had not thought of that scenario before.

The base may have been compromised, or needed smaller wood or to shorten it.

It definitely looked bad. I hope the guy lives to tell everyone why he was on spikes.

Thanks B. Old one I think I Posted before.
The local guy that used to carve these moved out of our area. Detweiler fire burned his place down along with a ton of work. He got an offer to set up elsewhere as I recall.

I've topped hundreds of Doug firs at 12 to 24 inch diameter or so, at a good distance off the ground, on spurs and on two lanyards. It was never a ho-hum sort of task. You best do everything right, because there is no escape if things go badly.

I have however, felled some much bigger ones in locations where normal escape routes where not on the table, sometimes on rappel rope from above....cliffs, mid-slope cutbanks a hundred feet high, stupid places :).

I never had to fell a big tree/big diameter on spurs.

I cannot see much real difference with some of what I have done, but it still seems like it would feel even extra hinky.

You feel tooooooo close to the stump kill zone. So the thought hits the brain and you question your decision. Re assess. Whether you were right or wrong will be shown in the out come.
My take on that guy getting swatted was he thought he could lay out a log and save some time. Should have checked his gun and face better.
David Stice (nice guy dave) inspired some of my tight fells. He pretty much laid it out that after you do enough of them, all the dynamics of the hinge , face and cutting, done right, it goes where its supposed to go. Referring to that tight fell he did between houses.

So the thought hits the brain and you question your decision. Re assess.
And ask yourself... how did I get here?... meaning not just in the tree, but how the whole course of actions from the moment of birth brought you to this point in your life.

My take on that guy getting swatted was he thought he could lay out a log and save some time. Should have checked his gun and face better.

I think he survived that as it looks like the main stem hit the stump and not him, so it depends on how he was hit by the side branches. Easily could have been hospitalized, cut, concussed etc. But he might also have walked away with bruises.

I'd guess he hit his lay but misjudged the length of the top. Meaning that he was cutting high to shorten the fall. And the best lay was right towards the other tree that got hit. There may have been unseen obstacles which is often the case.

He easily could have taken two or three steps down and used the stump for protection. It certainly was wide enough

Last edited:
Aight, here is more of this absolute Mutant freak show.

What he regularly does in a tree is mind blowing. On top of that, I've never seen anyone crack open a coconut with zero tools.

That dude is a huge badass!! Has anyone tried climbing like that with no spikes? I'm sure it's wayyyyyyyyy harder than he makes it look, but my God he just shoots up like it's nothing.

Back