Tree Climbing Kids

The next two are of an employee and his 2 boys. I don't have little ones yet but do have a kids new tribe and a kids petzl. The petzl seems to get smaller but the new tribe looks more comfy.

IMG_0566.jpg

Always keep a hand or belay on their rope. Typical set up we use is a blakes with a foot prusik or even a pantin and patience. I don't recommend a lock jack like in the photo.

IMG_0564.jpg

Thanks, I've got a lot of pics so I'll wrap it up.... Kids love climbing and like someone else said, "They are fearless." Be paitent, low and slow, and with a little coaxing they will go high into the trees.

IMG_0498.jpg

Great pics!!

Gotta agree with the lockjack!!
Definatly not a good device for children. Very high potential for a fall.

When the kids get a bit bigger more comfortable on a standard Dbl rope system, you can simply tie a series of stopper knots in the tail of the rope (every 4-6 ft) as they ascend.

Here is the "homegrown miniature ropes course" we set up this afternoon. This property is in the edge of the Iron Mountain Fire burn area so there are no climbable trees...but Matt is building a three story house.

Mikecross23, those are great shots ! I'm so proud of you folk for keeping kids involved... just super, man !!!

I used to work at a summer camp for kids as a ropes course facilitator and took one thing away from that experience that I'll never forget: humans are monkeys (well, actually we're apes, but same thing)! In terms of our evolutionary history, we've only been down on the ground for a short amount of time. I see climbing trees as a way to get in touch with my roots. Adults seem to get out of touch with this, but kids still have that genetic memory.

Lol, Bounce you could be opening quite the can of worms with that post. But I understand what you're saying.;)

Can of worms...right... human beings are fishermen not monkeys...but flyfishermen may be a higher order of homo sapiens.

Ha! You guys crack me up! A bunch of tree climber's insisting that they aren't monkeys.... Hope I didn't offend anybody; I was just thinking of the way kids seem to take to the trees as if they'd been born to it. I'm just happy to have opposable thumbs and stereoscopic vision, no matter how that came to be.

Back