Topping Harms Trees

For me it isn't just about the tree health. If there is a situation where someone wants something drastic done to their tree out in the middle of a field and they are fully aware that the tree may die/become a hazard, well then I am ok with that.

Now if someone is selling topping to a customer just to make money and telling them it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, well ... that's a shame. If I wanted to be the guy that gave up his integrity to make as much money as possible, I sure as hell wouldn't be messing with the tree business.

Those things are tho thavage!

I'll take a wolverine over a badger!

Good stuff Thor.

Jomo

All part of the same family, mustelids, along with weasel, martens etc, I used to keep ferrets for hunting so I am a bit of a fan.
Not the Devil obviously though! It's a marsupial.

I'm going to liken the three types of pruning to women.

Pollarding:your typical shallow Hollywood starlet who's had every type of the cosmetic plasties known to the western world.

Correct pruning:the quintessential gal comfortable in her own skin, putting on her favorite dress to feel pretty.

Topping:bottom of the barrel crusty broke down slag who has no other reason to exist than to make your life miserable.

image.jpg
THE POLLARDED WOMAN

image.jpg
THE NATURAL MAINTAINED WOMAN

image.jpg
THE TOPPED WOMAN

Another of my beauties! :drink:

Attachments

• cheneyville 001a.jpg
    cheneyville 001a.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 55
  • cheneyville 006a.jpg
    cheneyville 006a.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 54
Nice wildlife habitat Butch. ;)

By the way, pollarding is also used by municipalities in the United States, with good results. San Francisco is the one that I have seen personally.

Leon, are you are talking about the area near the M. H. de Young museum and academy of sciences? Some heavily pollarded trees there.

Yup, there are some nice ones there, and also scattered about on the streets in various other neighborhoods. I think they're all sycamores if I remember correctly. Or would that be lime trees? I'm still confused about the difference.

We have some pollarded Sycamores on the main street in town here that leads to the train station. I think they were pollarded a bit too much, however. Been meaning to take a closer look to see if they all appear to still be alive. Lots of snipping always going on. For some reason they started on this big campaign to reduce the street lining Sycamores in the prefecture. Some politician has a relative that does pruning, it might be.

I'm going to liken the three types of pruning to women.

Pollarding:your typical shallow Hollywood starlet who's had every type of the cosmetic plasties known to the western world.

Correct pruning:the quintessential gal comfortable in her own skin, putting on her favorite dress to feel pretty.

Topping:bottom of the barrel crusty broke down slag who has no other reason to exist than to make your life miserable.

View attachment 53592
THE POLLARDED WOMAN

View attachment 53593
THE NATURAL MAINTAINED WOMAN

View attachment 53594
THE TOPPED WOMAN

Are we trying to have a serious discussion, here, or are you just interested in trying ( In vain, I may add) to be funny?

I put some effort into my post regarding your somewhat vague ( putting it mildly) understanding of the origins of pollarding and this is your answer.

Grow up, dude, and stop wasting everybody's time.!

If you had actually read carefully my post, you would've noticed I made no definite claims as to my knowledge of its origins. Nor did you state anything different than I. You simply added more "facts" loosely, to what I posted. Then took your best left hook at me.
And you tell me to grow up? Don't be such a forum bully. Please. I wash my hands of you. Good day sir.

Haha, that was far from Stigs best hook.

You made claims, that Stig corrected. You also made a rather sexist and tasteless joke. It's no big deal, but you're hardly being bullied. Your response was classic passive aggressive.

You know English isn't my native language, Ed.
Is passive agressive the same as being a whiner?

Remember, Europeans aren't as homophobic as you Yanks, so go right on:P

All the body oil turns me off, though.

Szajer, I took the time to repond to your post about the origin of pollarding by making a rather long historical overview of the true origin.
To this you felt the appropriate response was to make a ridiculous and unfunny attempt at a joke.

That was what I lashed out at, not your original post.I made the mistake of thinking you were a sapient being that one could actually have a discussion with and maybe even learn stuff from.
Won't happen again.
And like Ed said, it is only because you don't know me, that you think that was my best left hook.

OK, Butch, break out the picture:lol:

Seriously - Vast areas of of our planets Rainforest are being slashed and burnt, And you worry about topping a tree? I've topped hundreds of trees with No ill effect to them. Funny how Arborists will happily fell any tree a customer wants felling but will recoil in horror at the thought of topping the very same tree

Topped trees still provide huge habitat and biodiversity for flora and fauna alike. You see pockets of rot, birds see a larder well stocked with grubs. You have to see the bigger picture....

I'm with you on that one Ed, it's unbelievable what's going on in Indonesia alone, yet they whinge about topping a tree and there's big fines for it in most councils here.

But this is still going on every day in Queensland.

90528-3x2-940x627.jpg

Shouldn't require the picture anyway if something needs to get straightened out. As the saying goes, like it or lump it. Make amends and the ship is back in calm waters. A self correcting forum is the best kind.

I don't follow the logic? It's ok to top trees because worse things are happening? That kind of logic seems to be a slippery slope.

Back