Today's fuels

JoshINtrees

TreeHouser
Has anyone else noticed that the gas today seems to stale pretty quick? I just spent three hours tearing apart my pressure washer, which I bought brand new six months ago, to get the cruddy fuel out of the bowl and jets. The gas I dumped out literally wouldn't burn on the ground with a match, yet it's only six months old.

I'm guessing this is why I can't leave my saws setting for more than a couple months or they're hard to start, too?

You will be lucky to have good gas if it sets as little as 2-3 months now. Fuel stabilizer might buy you some more time. I just drain everything I won't be using in a week or two.

I just don't have anyone near me (other than the avgas) that sells non ethanol. So I run full synthetic mix for the 2 strokes. Four strokes I just make sure it goes in a vehicle if it does not get used right away.

Any saw gas I have for much over a month gets dumped in the old tractor .At only 8.5 to one comp ratio it will burn just about anything .

I'll have to get a photo of the gal that pumps my 100 octane non-ethanol at the gas station. I'm a fan of her makeup. :)

Erik and maybe a couple other guys run it. I tried and was having issues with my Stihl FS 250s. Probably running to long and too hot. Lots of fouled plugs. Ran everything a tad rich to try and keep them cool. I was having less problems with the 91 octane ethanol mixed with Stihl's full synthetic, so I switched back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wonder how much longer it lasts than this crap fuel we get at the pump. I'd ask a plane mechanic, if I knew any. Any on the forum?

Pilots I believe. Dunno about mechanics.
If you do try avgas, make sure you de-carbonise the P&C prior to using it. A loose piece of carbon could really mess with your program ;)
And carry a wire brush to clean the plugs from time to time as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm not sure I'd be hot on breathing in the lead fumes. It would be nice to burn actual gasoline for a change though.

Pilots here? Way cool!

The fireman in my area use this in all their Stihl saws and 2-cycle equipment:
http://www.amickssuperstore.com/SEF_50_1_Fuel_by_VP_Racing_for_Fire_Departments_p/sef 50 fuel.htm

It's expensive ($75 for 5 gallons), but they're dealing with life & death situations and their equipment has to start and
run good every time.

It's pure unleaded gas; 94 octane; no ethanol; mixed with either 40:1 or 50:1 full synthetic oil.

But I went with this: http://shop.bellperformance.com/pro...urce=Adwords&gclid=CNeIjePkvLACFagbQgodfCpdow

So far, I'm pretty impressed with it. I'm noticing more HP and smoother running engines. One 16 oz. bottle will
treat 160 gallons of gas.

You can argue unleaded, leaded, ethanol, non-ethanol, AVgas, etc. all day long. The fact of the matter is that E10 or higher is here to stay. So you have to mix smaller batches if you're not gonna use it up in a 1 month period. 2months if you add a fuel stabilizer. Ethanol attracts water. That's what messes everything up. Plus it's hell on rubber fuel lines and carb diaphrams. If you do proper maintenence on your equipment, and use E10 (like I do), you won't have any problems whatsoever.

I have yet to have a fuel related failure in any of my equipment. If non-ethanol gas was available to me... sure , I'd hit it it toot-sweet. But i don't, so I do what's necessary to make my equipment last.

Just like runnin' 92 octane E10 in my hot rod. I have to be careful with water in the tank, as it sits for long periods of time.

Oh... and I don't think there is any "lead" in leaded gasoline fumes or exhaust. The only reason the "lead" was ever in the fuel was to lubricate exhaust valves in old dinosaur engines.

Gary

Back