To train or not to train

Evan_C

TreeHouser
Hey all,

I have been trying to figure out what the best course of action would be to get training in a manner to which I can be the most productive from the get go. Around here there aren't a lot of tree services and for the most part they aren't hiring. A lot of my climbing training has come from just going and climbing in the parks around here (just climbing no rigging, cutting etc.). I would like to get hands on training with a knowledgeable instructor. I was looking online and there are a few places that have training courses you can take for a week. One is ACRT and the other is the one that Peter "Treeman" Jenkins runs in Georgia. What do you guys suggest in regards to initial training? I looked through the forums to see if anyone has commented on these programs and I didn't find anything for the treeclimbing.com training. Is this a waste of money or something that will be a good investment. I'm not against learning on my own but would feel more confident when coached on my technique(s).

It's not a great time of year to get hired in being the end of the season for many, but you do have plenty of places to bu for a job...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Boi...oise+id+tree+companies&rflfq=1&rlha=0&tbm=lcl

Classes are classes...and may help you get in somewhere (or may not)...but won't necessarily increase productivity... nothing beats daily on-the-job experience under the guidance of a good instructor.

Being safely productive comes from experience and knowledge. Speed doesn't come from working fast as much as working efficiently, which requires experience. When just starting out, I'd suggest a goal of being safe is more important than production; actually it is still a higher priority with myself and I'd venture most others here also.

you might consider cramming what knowledge you can during the Fall and Winter, and start hitting up tree companies around Jan or Feb when they are starting to look for help again.

Any personal details about you and your climbs so far? History of rope work? age? fitness? methods you've climbed with? Awareness of ANSI and OSHA?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Raj,

I have used only Ddrt when climbing. For me it feels somewhat safer for a newer person but I want to start doing some SRT as well. My favorite hitch to use is the distel on the split-tail system but I have used the traditional blake hitch set up as well. That pretty much sums up my rope work. As far as fitness and age I'm 33 and in very good shape. I work out 6 days a week and of those 6 days 2 are cardio. I haven't looked into the ANSI or OSHA standards as much but it seems like something I would want to do before I start cutting.

Thank you for the link. I have seen videos from this set and they are awesome.

Some of the rigging texts out there are worth the $$ as well.

What kind of chainsaw experience have you had? Climbing and some setup aspects of rigging you can practice to a high degree of familiarity on your own. Wood reaction by species, tree assessment, and the intricacies of the chainsaw are probably harder to become familiar with in an urban setting. . .

Fundamentals of General Tree Work by G.F. Beranek

TCIA Best Practices for Rigging in Arboriculture

Lots of practice climbing. Keep pounding the pavement for a brush dragging job with the local outfits. Sounds like that's your best bet.

Fundamentals is going out of print. Because the section on climbing tools and techniques is so out of date. There may be only 50 copies left.

Updating the chapters might be my next big project.

What?? Holy cow! If you need anything when it comes time to update that priceless text, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm sure we'd all donate pictures, articles on new gear and techniques, I'd be happy to proof read. That's crazy news Gerry. . .

Climbing notwithstanding, the sections on, hell, everything else, are as relevant as ever.

Just picking up that book gives a warm cozy feeling.

If a young man is wanting to obtain skills for a profession, I don't think it is asking too much to consider moving to a location where that can be achieved. Though it may not be possible for reasons, staying within your comfort zone is often not the most productive. Giving up some years to learn a trade that you like for the long run, isn't a bad deal at all. Paying dues....

Fundamentals is going out of print. Because the section on climbing tools and techniques is so out of date. There may be only 50 copies left.

Updating the chapters might be my next big project.

Glad I got my copy. Even with almost 20 years of experience and now climbing srt I'm still finding plenty of useful information in it. I'm gonna have to push the boys at work to get theirs quick before they are all gone.
And thank you Gerry for taking the time to write it

I'll have to get one before they are all gone. I would consider moving but I have a family so that makes it a little more difficult to sell especially with limited skills. Maybe once I learn the basics and start perfecting the craft I can persuade them. Like it was suggested I'll take the fall and winter to learn as much as I can and come spring I'll see what I can get done. I have all of Jepson's books but will definitely add Fundamentals/Working Climber to the library.

Right about having a family can complicate things. Of course with the support it can make it easier too. You seem like you have a good sense about you. Keep your ambition and it will happen. Things get hard for one reason or another and people often forget. There is a reason why guys often thank their wives for their achievements. I figure my wife has packed me around 13000 lunches.

While you are learning to climb do not forget that you will not be getting paid for your tree climbing abilities alone, but what it is that you can do with them. Learn about trees! The more you know the better.

That is a lot of lunches haha but usually I'm in charge of making my own. I work from home now so I don't have to pack anything really. DMc I was planning on getting some tree books to learn about their physiology etc and I stumbled across this site http://elearn.sref.info/ which has a lot of into about Urban Forestry. What do you guys think about it?

Update* I received Fundamentals and all Working Climber DVDs last week and have been studying them as much as I can. There is a lot of great information on both mediums and I can't wait to get out there and try a few techniques. :thumbup:

Back