Tips for keeping long bars level

Yah, that's about right. Rather than handling the 'work' 088 with a 60" bar, I'd rather go with the 066/660 with a 36", and double cut. The trees we cut of that size are rotten in the middle, generally, so that give a bit of a fudge factor.

My long bar came with the 090G that I inherited. It must be 55-60". It really bows and sure looks thin, I think a Stihl brand, must be like close to thirty years old. Could be that the length just makes it look thin, I never measured it. For the half inch chain that runs on it, it seems like they could have used thicker material. Perhaps in those days they thought that bow was more desirable than weight?

There was guy from Cincinnati that showed up at Bill Poors' GTG last fall with about 5-6 foot of bar on an 090 .Big wide thing and it didn't bow a bit .

I can't remember what Fred aka "Stihl boy "had on an 084 but I'm thinking 6 foot ,it was a rather narrow bar .So I suppose depending what time period the bars were made in they must have some variance to them are far as rigidity .Obviously the fat ones would weigh a ton and handling that much bar would be about like a bowling ball on a broom stick .

All this talk of longer bars I finally got around to hanging the 42" on the 084 .Had a hell of time starting the big boy as you always get some stale gas left in the carb and usually flood the damned things right out of the chute .Which of course I did .

Got the bar and chain on but since I had my moccisons on I didn't think that was appropriate foot wear so I 'll give it go tomorrow .I'm gonna say this that pot licker is every bit as heavy as that saw in my avatar .

Yup, 084 sporting 41 inches is a load...but at least it balances halfway decent. Put 60 inches on it and it's nasty until it's in wood.

I think the Stihls generally have the sprocket further back from the front of the case so there's almost an inch less bar sticking out.

Well yes, but Stihl bars are almost exclusively sized to fit Stihl saws (I've never seen a Stihl bar on another brand of saw without custom modifications). Regardless, IMO it's just another example of Stihl going out of their way to make their product just slightly different from other brands so idiot homeowners buying wear items and replacement parts are less likely to go with aftermarket brands.

42" should be 42" regardless of brand.
If converted (1067mm/106,7cm/10,67dm/1,067m) and re converted it should still be 42"

When you pass 20" it is not very accurate to measure them up in inches, even when new.
On different models and brands it can be measured different with same bar on it.

Cutting length can vary a couple inches very easily.

I just wondered because it seems odd to use some off the wall measurement like 41

It's definately an Oregon bar .Fact it's an 066 style milled out to accept the larger 084 mount size .It's an Oregon that in fact came from Oregon via flea bay.

There you have it then. Put it on a saw it was made for and you get the for this saw said number of length, perhaps.
Changing bar mount to fit does not alway's mean it is the same as a new for the saw made bar.

I do it here too sometimes when they want something special.

That isn't it at all .The bar shape and size are the same as if it were originally made for an 084 to begin with .The bar slot had just been altered when it was on the west coast evidently so it would work on an 084 instead of most likely an 066 .This bar has been used before on this same saw with no problems what so ever .Except for the fact some idiot tried to cut a big rock into which didn't go so well .:lol:

For that matter I don't anticipate any problem now except for the fact it has acquired a small amount of rust from inactivity of about 6 years .That will blow right off in about 30 seconds though .

My only thought on the matter is why Stihl likes to uses a slightly different system of measuring ,which they do not if it would work because it does .Quite well as a matter of fact albeit a tad heavy .

I think the Stihls generally have the sprocket further back from the front of the case so there's almost an inch less bar sticking out.
It's the opposite Brian.
The beauty of the age old Stihl design is they leaned their cylinders back on an angle, allowing shorter distance from the drive sprocket to the front of the crankcase and still allowing room for a large muffler. Husqvarna etc was the opposite, with their verticle cylinder the bar pad area had to be lengthed. For example with a 16"b/c, Stihl uses 60 DL, Husky uses 62 DL. Husky has since modified the length of their bar specs to run the even 60 DL.

Now it appears the new 550, 562 series, have copied that Stihl design with their new laid back cylinders.

For example with a 16"b/c, Stihl uses 60 DL, Husky uses 62 DL. Husky has since modified the length of their bar specs to run the even 60 DL.
Coincidently the 60 Dl used by Stihl,and Husqvrana is the only driver count that interchanges with the 10 series of McCulloch .Which just happens to work out great for me .Through the years I've amassed a tidy little sum of them .Oddly enough I seldom use a 16" bar --all for naught .

It's the opposite Brian.
The beauty of the age old Stihl design is they leaned their cylinders back on an angle, allowing shorter distance from the drive sprocket to the front of the crankcase and still allowing room for a large muffler. Husqvarna etc was the opposite, with their verticle cylinder the bar pad area had to be lengthed. For example with a 16"b/c, Stihl uses 60 DL, Husky uses 62 DL. Husky has since modified the length of their bar specs to run the even 60 DL.

Now it appears the new 550, 562 series, have copied that Stihl design with their new laid back cylinders.

On a 16" .325 it is 66 on a HVA small mount, 15" is most common here and is 64DL.
Here Stihl had odd length like 14" to get same cutting length as that is what was important to the users.
They want just long enough bar to do the job, no need to drag around a bunch of cutters and bar when it is not needed.

You won't see any shorter than 16" unless it's on a trim saw in these parts .Most use a 20" sometimes a 24" on a mid size saw .The 066 size generally run a 36" .Those larger which are few and far between either a 36" or larger .

The old Windsor bars were an odd length for what they really sold as. Just a bit. I can't remember off hand exactly, but it did take an extra driver or less of the same chain you used on other bars to get them to mount, or they be too tight or too loose.

Either way it made the Windsor bars somewhat inconvenient for me to use. As well others. And so I avoided them. Stuck with Oregon all the way.

Once, a long time ago, Oregon bars were cheaper than Stihl. And they seemed to last longer before going ape-chit crooked in the cut.

I did find the time to fire up the 084 and exercised it a little bit ,didn't cut any thing .The bar past the dogs is just a tad over 41" so maybe that's where it came from .Makes sense because nobody in their right mind would run a bar that large on that size of saw without a set of dogs I wouldn't think .

Back