Throwpod

So after whining about the price I blew up my last 10oz and ordered a throwpod. $66 with the coupon.

I took about 50 tosses with it yesterday. So far I'm actually pretty impressed... I didn't remove the throwpod from the throwline once while pulling it back and had no issues retrieving it. Obviously time will tell if it really does get stuck less.

Physically it's not much larger than a regular bag, just a few inches longer. It's VERY solid, even with the rubber. Solid in a way that I probably won't be tossing it around someone's house.

I did spike the thing a few times into my lawn when pulling it back through the canopy, so keep yer noggin covered. When I say spiked I mean the thing was in the ground like a golf tee. Brains beware.

So, my initial impressions are good and I have a feeling I'll be happy with the purchase. I'll report back again after it gets a few weeks of use.

I don't think 10oz is heavy enough. Does it come down ok on high throws? What kind and size line are you using?

I don't know if it flies better, but it does fly straight. No wobble.

Luke said they are coming out with an 8oz in the next while, but didn't mention any heavier sizes. Maybe Marcus can comment on that.

I'm using New England dynaglide for line. It's 2mm.

Common trees here aren't that big compared to other parts of the country. My average toss is between 40'-50' I'd say. A 10 will usually get it done, but I'd use a 12+ in a white oak, hickory, etc.

Beware the spike! I've spiked mine into the ground more than a few times, pulling it out and if you let it run down too the ground after making a throw. This sucker will impale itself a good ways into the ground.

Have you noticed how much it bounces around Adam? The solid rubber makes for a quite bouncy throw weight, beware of richoiets. First day of testing I had one bounce straight back at me. Hit a limb or something just right and this thing could fly into a window or way outside your work zone.

So far, with my week or so of testing and use, I'm not impressed. I like the narrow design, the construction is solid, it'll last forever. But I don't like the bounce issue, and I don't like the fact that you can't clip a big biner too the eyelet, or pass the rope through and tie a stopper knot. Either you use a micro biner or take the weight off and tie the line on. For $66 I think they can improve on it. $66 will get you two Harrison rockets, or 6 or 7 of the standard weaver bags.

Not really, nope. I need more time on it too give a definite answer, but I think it'll be difficult too get stuck. Like I said, my main issue with the rubber is the bounce it creates.

Hi guys sorry I haven't been on to answer questions I've been away in Germany for the TCC's.
Rangerdanger the idea of throwpod was to be an edition to your throw line kit I still keep a rocket on the other end of my line for situations where a throwpod may damage something it's up to you to make a decision on when and where you use it and for the rope connection issue we tried coming up with a way of easy rope connection but in the end it would of just added to manufacturing costs which would of been passed on the customers, I can fit my 11mm velocity through the eye and tie a knot and I also use dmm shadow rock climbing snap karabiners to clip the splice to the eye because they are rated to 23kn
Hope this gives you some solutions :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 37
I don't think 10oz is heavy enough. Does it come down ok on high throws? What kind and size line are you using?

I've been using zing-it and petzl airline with my 8oz throwpod and New England dynaglide with my ten
I mostly throw the 8oz all the time and I've had no issues with it coming down, I fired it out of a big shot into an ivy infested Corsican pine and it punched threw and out the other side straight to the ground
Here's a pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 36
Thanks Marcus, I'm still giving it a go, haven't given up on it! I've heard it flies amazing out of a big shot, which I've yet too try, so I'll have too give it a go later.

Have you noticed how much it bounces around Adam?

I did notice today. I also had it wrap a limb and spike right next to me when I pulled it out. With a bag I probably would have tried to catch it. That's a reflex that I'll have to forget!

Thomas, I don't notice any extra friction from the rubber either.

I already do a mini biner to my bag so clipping to the eye is no biggie for me. I do think that's a good catch Adrian, I didn't even think to try to clip a full size biner in there.

I took a pic next to a few bags and a dmm ultra o biner I'll post it from my phone in a minute.

I want 12 and 14. I can't imagine how people make 8 and tens work. I have seen people make them work and I know people swear by them. But a few perfect shots that didnt come down has soured me to the point where I won't go near a ten. Much less an eight.

Back