Thoughts on Sterling trucks? And barko loader's?

Just don't get the Mercedes engine! Other than that the truck is good. Barko loaders are good, just very hard to get parts for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not in my mind I ran them in the piston bullys without fail. But do see parts as a overnight issue compared to the cat motors.

A friend has a six wheeler sterling with a merc.

They treat it like a tri axle its loaded so heavy all the time. Multiple careless drivers. I think its had one egr issue, but thats it.

Merc truck engines are generally a bit low on Torque compared to Volvo / Scania / Cummins over here, but tend to be bomb proof. I've had quite a few of their smaller units.

The only trucks fitted with CATs used to be Fodens, usually, C12 440hp units. General feeling was that they were powerful enough, but heavy on fuel and suffer premature top end wear.

Looked today, just over 200,000 on 2000 chassis, cat motor, New Barko 80 rear mount in June. New box 46yd in August. $74,900. Big purchase for me but super clean and a major long term investment. We are growing and I feel the time is right for the move to the next stage with all we have going on.
8y3y6a8e.jpg

gegupa8u.jpg

e8ysybah.jpg

y9ybybud.jpg

Crazy or fair price?

Good purchase IMO. I cannot get over how crummy your loaders look though, I had a barko just like that on a tub grinder and it was awful. I guess I'm spoilt by having all these Forestry loader manufacturers in Europe to choose from.

I'm currently looking at buying another grab truck, 6x4 like yours, but Cabover, probably a Volvo. 440hp with full air suspension rear mount 24tm crane and trailer, GVW 96K #.

Is that a 3126 or C7? It may feel a little under powered with a full load. The Sterling chassis is good, but its tight under the hood, if you plan to do all your own work.

I've got a 3126 in chip truck, 40k miles, it leaks a lot of oil, dependable otherwise though.

Nice truck!

What's wrong with Mercedes engines? They have a bad rep over there?

Ed, a big part of the problem with Merc's was this, http://www.edmunds.com/dodge/sprinter/ Chrysler was already going down, then added this and treated it like a step child! Nobody knew how to work on it, the parts were astronomical and Chrysler really didn't seem to give a rip! Then being under powered for a delivery vehicle, as my buddy used it, hauling cases of energy drinks didn't help anything!
This was the first major exposure to Merc's over here so they got a bad rap.

Odd. I've driven a lot of sprinters, and the last thing I'd have said about them is underpowered. I got a ticket in one once, moving house. 90+mph.

I like the 3126, it looks clean but a 2000 with 200k on it for 75 seems high to me. But I haven't been looking or watching what they sell for. I like the rear mount and I've not heard bad things about Barko.

That's what my mechanic says about em, too

I hope not underpowered. I could find no leaks anywhere and I looked with mirror and flashlight.
My other option I looked at was a 02 Mack but it had 500,000 and prentice it just spoke hammered for the same price range.
I had debated a Metavic wheeler and new truck but the capacities and cost on that setup changed my mind. With a new bio mass plant near and a place to stockpile debris for a tub grinder this seems the perfect fit.
The barko 80 is 40 installed, I was quite sure the new box and paint would reach the 10 mark if not more the newness of this will only need a new truck down the line in my lifetime or so goes my thinking.
Cory I'll be glad to know more on the common leaks.

Seriously the common leaks are everywhere. Google 3126b oil leaks. I believe a 2000 will be the 'b', not that it matters. I had my oil cooler and rear main fixed last year. If I remember correctly my mechanic had mentioned something about it being in their design/use of the high pressure oil set-up. 3126's are oil fired injectors. My truck(boom) has run flawlessly, I'm not trying to knock the motors at all. The things that have been mentioned are the common concerns with the motor. Underpowered and leaky. Mostly pretty durable. If you get it swap it to full synthetic oil. Oil fired injector motors of all makes run way better/smoother on good fresh oil.

Thats what my mechanic said too, high internal pressures.

Back