This years coyote take,dead critters

• Thread starter sothere
  • Start date
  • Replies 143
  • Views 12K
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you make the fur into clothing? Is there someone special whos does it for you?
assuming you have the raw material it starts with skinning,fleshing,stretching and drying.This part is called "to have them put up".
from there the dried skin goes to a tanner and he does his magic turning the hide into "Furry leather" if you will,now the hair will stay intact and not fall out,if your aniimal was prime to begin with.

Generally warmer climates dont produce the best fur.

Montana and wyoming have the best fur and large yotes

Now you pick a Furrier who takes the best of the hides matches them for color and condition and put's them together and lines it.
The coat you see in the first post was furred inNY and with us supplying 22 yotes he made the coat mitts and hat.
The coat alone could take up to 17 animals and they must be close to identical.
the bulk of the 42 will go into a blanket for a local gal it will be spectacular I imagine.
It's not cheap but Holly's rig is appraised at over 7000.00 with an easily attainable 5500.00
The fur buyers will give you 5.00 in carcass form and we don't even mess with them.

Wife's red fox,mid length 23 ,animals

Markspicturesloaded1-20-09001.jpg

Our coyote fur is no good for coats here. We didn't have any trouble with the cattle that I know of. Had some trouble with dogs. That's a beautiful coat.

big packs of coyotes here.........hear em, but rarely see them

we have them here in north georiga, they are picking the small household pets

Thanks to the overrun of feral cats here, there isn't much in the way of squirrels and birds around.

We have a coy dog problem too, but not so much in my area.

Erik has also been working recently on reducing the overpopulation of solar powered landscape lighting in his neighborhood. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

We have had problems with them bothering cattle, but not recently. There seems to be enough small game to keep them occupied. My rule is to leave them alone, unless they start something, then I shoot them. Had one after my sister's cat once, and only once.:/: I use a .243 as well. Nice flat shooting round.

You'd be amazed what you can do with a .22 pellet at 1200 FPS.

One might also be amazed at what you can do with a 6 ton plow truck at 22 fps.:/: I have a lot of experience TIG welding little aluminum driveway lights for a friend of mine.:lol:

I live in the city but I have a couple or more pellet guns under the bed. I havent fired it out the screen door yet but I have been tempted...

Cursed, I have been to merrit (twice to the music festival, year 1 and year 10) many times (my favorite fast food place is the A & W of course), also kamloops, cache creek and other interior spots that arent too picky about 'firearms'. I have killed a few small animals, some I regret, some I dont, these days I am slower to pull the trigger than a few years ago.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I live in the city but I have a couple or more pellet guns under the bed. I havent fired it out the screen door yet but I have been tempted...

I'de be hunting them,used to live in San Juan Capistrano CA. and used a pellet gun out in less populated areas,watch out for mountain lions though:O
They are easy to call in the city with Distressed rabbit calls and kitten sounds as no one does it.
Bobcats as well but never shot them.spooky hunting in populated areas like that as you never know whats gonna come in and when they do it'll make your hair stand straight up,always had a 9MM on as well,just in case.
Gotta be careful to not get caught as well but never had any trouble.

Those damned coyotes just appeared from no where about 20 odd years ago .Evidently urban sprawl doesn't bother them .

We don't have the livestock problem that some areas do .Mainly because the growing of stock in this area is all but nonexistant .Mostly grain farming .

A few people have hog operations but most are contained indoors . If not it would take a real stupid coyote to attack a litter of pigs with a 400 pound mama sow on guard . That old saw would dine on that coyote for breakfast and spit out the bones .

I had a watermelon patch in a small corner of a field at my riverbottom ranch about 10 years ago. Freakin coyotes like watermelons. They are almost totally nocturnal down there, so you hardly ever saw them.

I am the same way with critters Paul.. Slower on the trigger... Stopped hunting when I was about 18. I am more a catch and release guy now .... Or shoot them if I have a camera handy ;)

would dine on that coyote for breakfast and spit out the bones

Al, Al, Al. Tsk tsk. And here I thought you were a good 'ol boy who knew affairs of plain living.

Hogs will eat the bones on a little ol yote, not spit them out.

:)

On a side note, did you know that hogs are largely immune to rattle snake bites?
Hogs love to eat snakes

Last edited:
Back